The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mdelecq
Hey! I'm also applying for Westminster, how did you know you were supposed to do a UKISET test? I'm applying as a boarder from outside the EU; however, I study in the UK already and have already done the UKISET test last year.

I've already sent the application money and everything, it didn't say anything about UKISET...

Hi, I think my agent said so, i'm not sure tho
Original post by JC53
Hello, so, how was the UKiset test? Was it hard?

Heyy the test was SO easy honestly, I got the 99th percentile for pretty much everything and I didn't really study haha.
Reply 5002
Original post by kelly-wong
Heyy the test was SO easy honestly, I got the 99th percentile for pretty much everything and I didn't really study haha.

Nice! I did my test just a few days ago and I'm quite stressed out by the uncertainty. When did you receive your results?
Original post by JC53
Nice! I did my test just a few days ago and I'm quite stressed out by the uncertainty. When did you receive your results?

I got my results a few days after, maybe 3? Haha don't stress too much, you can't really do anything about it now
Reply 5004
Original post by kelly-wong
I got my results a few days after, maybe 3? Haha don't stress too much, you can't really do anything about it now

True. Where are you from by the way?
Is it easier to get into Westminster as a boarding student or day student?
Original post by aymhas
Is it easier to get into Westminster as a boarding student or day student?

I'd say as a day since there are less boarding positions and as a boarding student we're gonna be competing with other boarding students who may come from countries of higher education (personally, from Bermuda/Canada, I'm less advanced in my education compared to someone from a top school in Hong Kong). Depends on where you're from and how hard you've worked/dedicated
Original post by JC53
True. Where are you from by the way?

Sorry for the late reply, i'm from Malaysia. Hbu?
Hi,
I want to apply for the Westminster sixth form this year ( I'm currently in year 10).
I am going to take Maths, Economics, Biology and Chemistry for my a-levels. I don't have any predicted grades yet because of the whole Covid-19 thing - we were meant to have our mocks in June.

Does anyone have any tips on what and how I should revise for the months leading up to the exam?

Thanks
Original post by ajha6904
Hi,
I want to apply for the Westminster sixth form this year ( I'm currently in year 10).
I am going to take Maths, Economics, Biology and Chemistry for my a-levels. I don't have any predicted grades yet because of the whole Covid-19 thing - we were meant to have our mocks in June.

Does anyone have any tips on what and how I should revise for the months leading up to the exam?

Thanks

Hey, I'm just finishing up my time at Westminster with a Queen's Scholarship (applied 2017 for 2018 entry with Bio, Chem, Latin, and Phil&Theo)
Don't stress too much about the exams - they are designed as a test of basic understanding and subject aptitude, not of rote learning. Read around your subjects widely (eg New Scientist, the Economist). For Econ, a large part of the exam is general knowledge, so keep an eye on the news. If you are genuinely enthused by your subject, have a good grasp of basic GCSE concepts rather than randomly learnt facts (eg, for science they often ask you about a familiar topic in an unfamiliar context, like transport in insects), and a healthy dose of confidence (the exam set-up with everyone in a massive room talking about 'how easy' the questions were is soul-destroying) and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by becausethenight
Hey, I'm just finishing up my time at Westminster with a Queen's Scholarship (applied 2017 for 2018 entry with Bio, Chem, Latin, and Phil&Theo)
Don't stress too much about the exams - they are designed as a test of basic understanding and subject aptitude, not of rote learning. Read around your subjects widely (eg New Scientist, the Economist). For Econ, a large part of the exam is general knowledge, so keep an eye on the news. If you are genuinely enthused by your subject, have a good grasp of basic GCSE concepts rather than randomly learnt facts (eg, for science they often ask you about a familiar topic in an unfamiliar context, like transport in insects), and a healthy dose of confidence (the exam set-up with everyone in a massive room talking about 'how easy' the questions were is soul-destroying) and you'll be fine :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: that really helped!
Original post by Amrak
Hi everyone!

I am a current pupil at Westminster. I joined a year ago in Sixth Form (going into Y13 now).

If anyone has any questions about the admission process, do let me know!

Hi Amrak,
I'd like to apply this year. I am going to choose economics math physics for Alevel. How's the economics test going? No clue how to prepare it. I've read through all the posts about the application. Any suggestions about the subject test? Thanks a lot!
Reply 5012
Hey :smile: I was wondering what the entrance exam questions were like? Do I need any à-level knowledge? If so how far into a-level? I know you probs don’t remember but if you did any one of maths, further maths, chemistry or economics please let me know!!! Thanks!
Reply 5013
Original post by JC53
Ok, so, did you do UKiset?

Original post by Amrak
Hi everyone!

I am a current pupil at Westminster. I joined a year ago in Sixth Form (going into Y13 now).

If anyone has any questions about the admission process, do let me know!

Hey :smile: I was wondering if you did any one of chemistry economics maths+further maths? If so could you tell me what the questions were like? Do I need to know any a-level stuff if so how far into the a-level course? I know you probably don’t remember but even if you didn’t do any of those subjects pls pls pls let me know the difficulty anyways. Thanks!
Original post by r06
Hey :smile: I was wondering if you did any one of chemistry economics maths+further maths? If so could you tell me what the questions were like? Do I need to know any a-level stuff if so how far into the a-level course? I know you probably don’t remember but even if you didn’t do any of those subjects pls pls pls let me know the difficulty anyways. Thanks!

You don’t need to know any A level knowledge; if anything most of the exams presume no GCSE knowledge, it’s about applying it creatively in unfamiliar situations. All the information on what the questions are like is in the prospectus and the ‘difficulty’ is going to be subjective - personally I found the exams challenging but quite enjoyable, and much easier than GCSE as there’s not the same tyranny of the mark scheme!
Reply 5015
Original post by becausethenight
You don’t need to know any A level knowledge; if anything most of the exams presume no GCSE knowledge, it’s about applying it creatively in unfamiliar situations. All the information on what the questions are like is in the prospectus and the ‘difficulty’ is going to be subjective - personally I found the exams challenging but quite enjoyable, and much easier than GCSE as there’s not the same tyranny of the mark scheme!

Oh ok cool thanks. So what sort of questions were they like? Were they like the UKMT and Olympiad type? For sciences and maths. thanks!
Original post by r06
Oh ok cool thanks. So what sort of questions were they like? Were they like the UKMT and Olympiad type? For sciences and maths. thanks!

Maths is apparently very Olympiad-y and if you really want to you could use Olympiad papers to prepare.
Sciences don’t ask for prior GCSE knowledge except a bit in Bio so are quite different to Olympiads in that way.
Reply 5017
Oh ok thanks. So for chemistry I should be ok if I can apply all my GCSE knowledge? And if I can do science Olympiad Qs would it be like for sure I would be able to do the Qs in the test? Thanks again! Btw did you do the Westminster 16+ exam?

Latest

Trending

Trending