The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone applying to do the sciences? I've only learnt Physics at school, and a little bit of Biology and Chemistry :s-smilie:
Original post by elliotlauu
What are you basing your PS on? More on your interest towards the subjects you've chosen? Why you want to get in? etc

Well, so far the half I've done (and never touched again) is based on the subjects I chose. But I'm so afraid this will restrict me if I suddenly decide to switch subjects...for example, if I decided to do French instead of Russian (sorry BlueSkyeCloudyDay :P). Not that I will...it's just a possibility. A very low possibility.
Original post by pompompandapple
Is anyone applying to do the sciences? I've only learnt Physics at school, and a little bit of Biology and Chemistry :s-smilie:

I am. I'm going to just learn the GCSE Chemistry and Physics since we have not studied it yet and maybe the IGCSE. You may want to take a look and see what a parsec (or something like that) is because I heard it came up in the exam for the previous 2 years.

I applied to do Chemistry and Biology :smile:

I'm applying for Chemistry. :smile:

Physics!
and thanks Ralphyboy. Looks fun! :smile:
Hey everybody, what other schools have you all applied to except Westminster? :P
Original post by speedbird26
Hey everybody, what other schools have you all applied to except Westminster? :P

CLSB and Highgate!
Original post by Ralphyboy
CLSB and Highgate!

I see :smile: Ahhh I'm from overseas so I applied to boarding schools such as Harrow, Tonbridge and Sevenoaks :colondollar:
Reply 1509
Gosh this is quite funny. Why on earth does Westminster School get so many applicants? I am willing to wager a lot of money that the only reason why its results are so good is because it has an extremely good, hard working intake. But seriously, if you want to do well all you have to do is work hard! It makes no impact which school you go to. In fact universities would look far more appreciatively on someone who has got 4 As from a average acheiving state school than a pupil from a top public school. You cannot buy intellect. If you are clever you will do very well wherever you go.
Original post by Gabby234
Gosh this is quite funny. Why on earth does Westminster School get so many applicants? I am willing to wager a lot of money that the only reason why its results are so good is because it has an extremely good, hard working intake. But seriously, if you want to do well all you have to do is work hard! It makes no impact which school you go to. In fact universities would look far more appreciatively on someone who has got 4 As from a average acheiving state school than a pupil from a top public school. You cannot buy intellect. If you are clever you will do very well wherever you go.

Well the reason why I want to go to Westminster is not just because of its results. See, the people that you meet in high school may be your close friends for life. And what people are there in Westminster? Many of them are the children of the most influential people in the world. That would shape your life in the future quite significantly.
Reply 1511
Well the reason why I want to go to Westminster is not just because of its results. See, the people that you meet in high school may be your close friends for life. And what people are there in Westminster? Many of them are the children of the most influential people in the world. That would shape your life in the future quite significantly.

Well perhaps, however don't you think that is slightly niave. Just because they are the children of influential people doesn't make them interesting themselves. (Although I am sure your friends are very nice) There are millions of interesting people out there who have not had the opportunity to go to a school like Westminster, and I believe that meeting and becoming friends with those people would have a significant affect on your future life.
I am wondering what you mean by "That would shape your life in the future quite significantly". Perhaps you are encouraged to make "contacts" to help you through life, however in my opinion that is very morally fishy and one of the reasons why social mobility has gone down the drain.
Just to clarify, I am not against private school. I just find it amazing that so many people pay for the education you can get, if you want it enough, at a normal state school.
Reply 1512
Hi!

I'm going into year 10 next year, and would like to board at westminster when the time comes. I'm a girl, so it would be sixth form. Is there anybody that goes there that can tell me what the entrance exams are like (generally) or if you have done biology, chemistry, physics and georgraphy please could you clue me up on what to expect.
Also, could you tell me what the atmosphere is like, what leisure activities there are on offer and what boarding life is like.
What gcse grades are required as well?
I've been on the website and I'm going to visit in September but i was wondering what a current pupil or past pupil personally though of the school.
Thanks so much! :biggrin:
Original post by Gabby234

Actually, I'm applying to Westminster because I like the history that it's built up...it's sort of like Oxford in a way. The glittering list of alumni that it's built up doesn't necessarily mean that we will be one of those who will be famous - but being there, you'll get to experience certain traditions that you otherwise wouldn't. You may not be able to buy intellect, but that doesn't concern most of us here - and you definitely can't buy history and culture.

Also, you'd be rather hard-pressed to see negative commentary on Wesminster. When I was looking for schools on the net, what I found was that most of them, no matter how good, had at least one person who went there and didn't like it. This isn't to say that everybody absolutely loved being in Westminster and it doesn't guarantee that we will love being there with the bottom of our hearts, but the chances of actually liking the school we're in is much, much higher.

Another reason is probably because it's in London, but it's not really a major factor...

So yeah.
Original post by leckett
Hi!

I'm going into year 10 next year, and would like to board at westminster when the time comes. I'm a girl, so it would be sixth form. Is there anybody that goes there that can tell me what the entrance exams are like (generally) or if you have done biology, chemistry, physics and georgraphy please could you clue me up on what to expect.
Also, could you tell me what the atmosphere is like, what leisure activities there are on offer and what boarding life is like.
What gcse grades are required as well?
I've been on the website and I'm going to visit in September but i was wondering what a current pupil or past pupil personally though of the school.
Thanks so much! :biggrin:

Go back a few pages. There was an old Wesminster student who talked to us about this, if you'd bothered to read. :P

Edit: Hey! Why the neg? I was joking! I mean, I don't expect people to read all 77 pages of the thread! I even put a smiley! D:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1515
Hey guy, I did part of the application with my mum today, and afterwards she tried to talk to me about the chances of getting in. She thinks that the people who get in will all be people who live and breathe their subjects, and who spend all their free time preparing and studying ect. I don't really do that kind of thing. I mean, I genuinely do love all my subjects and I'm dedicated to them, but I'm also dedicated to gilmore girls and glee. So I was just wondering, do you guys watch tv and waste time and go out with friends, or do you spend more time on school work?
P.S No judgements will be passed, I am a self professed über-geek :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oryx12
Hey guy, I did part of the application with my mum today, and afterwards she tried to talk to me about the chances of getting in. She thinks that the people who get in will all be people who live and breathe their subjects, and who spend all their free time preparing and studying ect. I don't really do that kind of thing. I mean, I genuinely do love all my subjects and I'm dedicated to them, but I'm also dedicated to gilmore girls and glee. So I was just wondering, do you guys watch tv and waste time and go out with friends, or do you spend more time on school work?

SAME. Uhm, I mean, my mum does that too. I don't actually care that much about my subjects...but I don't watch tv either. (Can't - if it's not my brothers hogging it, then it's my parents D: )
I haven't bothered with school work since standard 2 (your equivalent of year 2) but I am sort of a geek. I enjoy things that would classify me a geek (reading, writing, π). I suppose I could have been one of those studies-hard-gets-100% kind of people if you judge by my interests, but I have no attention span, so that wouldn't happen. xD

I'm just applying for the sake of applying and hoping that I get lucky. :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by oryx12

GLEEEEE!!! :smile:

Eh - I spend more time on school work than glee, but I do gleek out a lot. So...maybe I didn't answer your question, but there you go. Oh, and I do go out with friends once or twice during summer.

Aw now you've got me all crazy again. :/
Original post by oryx12

Erm, I spend SO MUCH time on the Internet... And Skins and Doctor Who :biggrin:

I don't spend much time on school work... but I plan on doing so this year.
Original post by Ralphyboy
I am. I'm going to just learn the GCSE Chemistry and Physics since we have not studied it yet and maybe the IGCSE. You may want to take a look and see what a parsec (or something like that) is because I heard it came up in the exam for the previous 2 years.

I'm currently learning GCSE Chem and Bio right now. I don't think I'll ever forget parsecs, seeing as we did so much work on it in class. :biggrin:

Original post by elliotlauu
I'm applying for Chemistry. :smile:

Original post by applesquash
Physics!
and thanks Ralphyboy. Looks fun! :smile:

I applied to do Chemistry and Biology :smile:

I'm planning to go for all of the sciences. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending