The Student Room Group

Need some advice guys

Hi guys, so basically I'm a little confused about what would be the best course of action for me for the next year and I was wondering if any of you have experienced the same thing or at least have a better understanding of the University process.

So here is the situation that I'm in: I applied to uni to study law last year and the Uni that I really wanted to go to was Bristol. However, because of my predicted grades and my less than amazing AS results they didn't give an offer. I instead firmed an offer from Kent and whilst I'm sure that it is a great Uni, the chances of succeeded in something as competitive as Law with a Kent degree are not too great.

So it comes to results day and I did ok, I got AAB, still not as good as I had hoped but I was happy enough. So when it comes down to going to Uni I thought I would apply to some better ones through clearing, through a combination of being too slow and not meeting grades the best offer I was able to come out with was studying History and Politics at Nottingham. Now, although this is a really great course I know that I want to study law at Bristol. Here is where the problems arise, the way I see it, I have
4 options. 1) I defer my entry to Kent, retake some A level exams and reapply to Bristol next year hoping that they let me in, 2) I go to Kent, do LAw and hope that there is a possibility of transferring to Bristol next year( not too sure if this is possible or if it would work); 3) I go to Nottingham to study History and Politics and hope that I can transfer to Bristol next year, the Uni has a bit of a better name so it might be more likely but I;m doing a different course so would that have implications? or 4) i do the full 3 years at Nottingham and then try to do a conversion course to law, still getting the same qualifications but not being to study at Bristol which is what I really want to do.

So there are the courses of action that I can think of but as I say I don;t really know which one is the most likely to work out or if half of them are even possible so any advice would be much appreciated.

Sorry it's such a long post but I would really like any advice that anybody can think of, I've got until next Friday to make a decision so it should all work out ok.

Thanks again.
I would go to Kent now. Transfers are not always possible and almost certainly you won't be able to move from history and politics to law as a year 2nd year student.

Kent has a good reputation and ranking so why not? If you do well at Kent you have good chances to do well in your career.
Doing another course and the GDL after might work BUT a) you would either need to invest more money in the GDL OR find a training contract before starting the GDL and that is not as easy as it might seems. So Kent Law now would be my choice.
Reply 2
Original post by christianlaw
I would go to Kent now. Transfers are not always possible and almost certainly you won't be able to move from history and politics to law as a year 2nd year student.

Kent has a good reputation and ranking so why not? If you do well at Kent you have good chances to do well in your career.
Doing another course and the GDL after might work BUT a) you would either need to invest more money in the GDL OR find a training contract before starting the GDL and that is not as easy as it might seems. So Kent Law now would be my choice.

Thanks for replying so quickly and Is ee what you mean but if transfers are unlikely would it not be a more plausible option to take a year out and then reapply, would somewhere like Bristol be willing to give an offer to an AAB student if they know he's doing some resits?
If you are really set to Bristol you can do that but I think that Kent is a good law school so I wouldn't be overly dogmatic about one University. If you feel that Kent wouldn't be right for you did you consider some other Universities ? AAB are good results so you should have more options perhaps ?

This is a highly personal decision but in terms of career Kent is still excellent and you will have many opportunities. If you are not in a rush to start and prefer to take a year out... I am not personally a big fan of years out and I wouldn't turn down a good offer for a may be next year.

This said I am qualified and in the profession since many years so I might have a different point of view than other students.

In terms of career opportunities I wouldn't necessary turn down a Kent graduate for a Bristol one. It will much depend on the degree classification, experience and performance during the interview. I am also trying to factor in the pressure and stress to retake A levels without much of a guarantee from Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending