Why is my Maintenance £4000 less than last year?

Watch
nicb1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My maintenance loan is over £2000 less than last year and the grant is now non-existent. And also rather surprisingly my tuition fee is only £900 - it should be £9000.

I am on a full-time engineering undergraduate course where I would be living away from home (but not in London). I applied for the higher maintenance loan option.

The tuition fee problem is simple to resolve - but my main concern is the maintenance amount! I've already phoned Student Finance but they told me the decrease is due to my changes in my household income....

I only have one household income, which has only very slightly increased from last year! Last year my maintenance loan was approx. £4400, it is now around £2400, and my maintenance grant was nearly £2000, now it's £0
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If its increased ever so slightly over the boundary then you loan will drop massively... It's annoying I know, mine Increased 300 over the limit for the higher amount and my loan dropped by a couple of thousand

Posted from TSR Mobile
nicb1992
Rep:
?
How incredibly inconvenient! The student finance calculator grossly over-estimated my student finance...

I just took a look at the income boundaries for the maintenance grant, and a deduction of almost £2000 would mean my household income would have had to have increased by more than £7000 (assuming this information is current). I'm sure it hasn't increased by this much!
applicationa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whoever you were speaking to at SFE has given you the wrong information.

These are the amounts for a placement year. If you aren't on a placement year then your course details need to be amended.
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nicb1992)
How incredibly inconvenient! The student finance calculator grossly over-estimated my student finance...

I just took a look at the income boundaries for the maintenance grant, and a deduction of almost £2000 would mean my household income would have had to have increased by more than £7000 (assuming this information is current). I'm sure it hasn't increased by this much!
That's around 600 a month, depends how much of an increase it was =/

Posted from TSR Mobile
nicb1992
Rep:
?
(Original post by applicationa)
Whoever you were speaking to at SFE has given you the wrong information.

These are the amounts for a placement year. If you aren't on a placement year then your course details need to be amended.
You were right- My course has an optional placement year, which meant I should have applied for the 4th year or updated the course to the fulltime/3 year option. It's been corrected now. Thanks!
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Glad it's sorted. I was going to ask if you were a final year student. Although, your grant wouldn't be affected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads