University Of Sofia, Bulgaria Watch

wowverybrilliant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm from the UK and I am thinking of applying for medicine in Bulgaria in the University Of Sofia. Can anyone who is studying there like this help me? What are the entry requirements? Where can I write this "CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY" test? Can I do so in UK or do I have to travel to bulgaria? Also, what agency did you use, if you used any? And, my A level certificates will only be issued in december, so will this be a problem if I were to apply now for enrollment in 2015 october? And also, is there any way I can apply now for a place starting in 2016, because I really want to have a gap year!? Does the course start in october only? Some unis have a february entry too so I was wondering if Sofia did too?
Thanks so much
ouzi1212
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by wowverybrilliant)
Hi, I'm from the UK and I am thinking of applying for medicine in Bulgaria in the University Of Sofia. Can anyone who is studying there like this help me? What are the entry requirements? Where can I write this "CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY" test? Can I do so in UK or do I have to travel to bulgaria? Also, what agency did you use, if you used any? And, my A level certificates will only be issued in december, so will this be a problem if I were to apply now for enrollment in 2015 october? And also, is there any way I can apply now for a place starting in 2016, because I really want to have a gap year!? Does the course start in october only? Some unis have a february entry too so I was wondering if Sofia did too?
Thanks so much
The requirements for the 6 year MD course, are not much, you need to have completed GCSE and passed ( grade E and/or above) A level in Biology and Chemistry. That's all it is in terms of requirement. They do not bother with your GCSE or A level, you will have to take an exam based interview (after submitting your application), the admission depends based on the marks you obtain in the interview
wowverybrilliant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by ouzi1212)
The requirements for the 6 year MD course, are not much, you need to have completed GCSE and passed ( grade E and/or above) A level in Biology and Chemistry. That's all it is in terms of requirement. They do not bother with your GCSE or A level, you will have to take an exam based interview (after submitting your application), the admission depends based on the marks you obtain in the interview
Im confused..Is this exam based interview same as the chemistry and biology test that's mentioned on it's website?
ouzi1212
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im confused..Is this exam based interview same as the chemistry and biology test that's mentioned on it's website?
They will ask from the materials provided on the website. Few basic questions,
jamjarz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone applying to sofia university for this year? Not the MU sofia university, the other one?
Alliesurrey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had a look at various Agencies representing Czech Republic,Bulgaria and Romanian Medical Schools. These are the Agents I looked at:
Emucas
Medical Doorway
Study Medicine Europe
Tutelage

Of these I found EMUCAS and Medical Doorway to have the most professional approach.
If I went down the route of Medicine study in Europe my first pick would be Czech Rep
Charles University- they have at least 2 faculties of Medicine.
Followed by Bulgaria.
There is also a very good/informative article on Student BMJ website on this topic - I will include a link here but it might be behind a pay wall?
http://student.bmj.com/student/view-...?id=sbmj.g1694
These are my own personal opinions of course .
There are some very worthwhile Courses which offer bright UK students who due
to the VERY LOW number of places available to study Medicine in the Uk ( don't get me started .....) are left "high and dry".
I would say do not give up ! You still have options to study medicine. even though the Uk 'system of limited places ' has let you down
Good luck
kikirish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks so much
Hello. I know this post is 2 years old, but if you are still active, and are currently studying medicine in University of Sofia, Bulgaria, I would like to get in touch with you.

I am also thinking of studying medicine in Europe and I've looked at couple of options where the course is taught in English and most of them seem to be in Eastern European countries. Not that I have anything against those countries, but since East Europe is less developed than the West, I have few doubts such as will the medical degree from those countries be recognized in other countries? if not, is it possible to get a job in the country where I got my degree as a foreigner? (non EU citizen), and my understanding is that medical degree from any EU countries will be recognized by other EU zone. But what if i'm not an EU citizen? and with Brexit, how will that affect my chances of working in Britain?
Alliesurrey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi
Did you see the post I put up yesterday ( 7 May 2017) ?
The article on the Student BMJ website is current ( if you can access it)

http://student.bmj.com/student/view-...?id=sbmj.g1694
This article gives impartial advice re studying medicine in Europe - it includes
comments from current Uk students studying in Czech rep & Bulgaria,
It addrresses many of your concerns ..so it's well worth having a look at it.
There are literally thousands of UK students now studying Medicine in Europe due to the policy of restricting the number of training places at Uk Universities.
I understand that all of the Medicine courses talked about are recognized by the
GMC . ANother thing to think about is the ease of obtaining placements in an NHS hospital after training (F1 & F2 placements) Again these queries are addressed in the article,
My previous post shows the Agents I was looking at and which ones I found most helpful .
There is an awful lot of info on the Web and Youtube...additionally some of the Agents have Open days in Summer 2017 - I know Medical Doorway has one coming up fairly soon. I liked Medical Doorway and ECUMAS because they didnt make
outlandish promises. ECUMAS even has a preparation course for the Exams for
Charles University - you do the Course - then take the Exam straight after. ....

(Original post by kikirish)
Hello. I know this post is 2 years old, but if you are still active, and are currently studying medicine in University of Sofia, Bulgaria, I would like to get in touch with you.

I am also thinking of studying medicine in Europe and I've looked at couple of options where the course is taught in English and most of them seem to be in Eastern European countries. Not that I have anything against those countries, but since East Europe is less developed than the West, I have few doubts such as will the medical degree from those countries be recognized in other countries? if not, is it possible to get a job in the country where I got my degree as a foreigner? (non EU citizen), and my understanding is that medical degree from any EU countries will be recognized by other EU zone. But what if i'm not an EU citizen? and with Brexit, how will that affect my chances of working in Britain?
bgmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kikirish)

Hey, I'm a second year medical student at Sofia medical school. I've just finished my first year and I'd be happy to answer any questions you, or anyone else for that matter, may have😄
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bgmedstudent)
Hey, I'm a second year medical student at Sofia medical school. I've just finished my first year and I'd be happy to answer any questions you, or anyone else for that matter, may have😄
Hello. I'm not planning on applying anytime soon or am a A-Level student but I have a few questions. In terms of the whole process of getting admitted, did they care much for GCSE and A-Level grades?
bgmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
Hello. I'm not planning on applying anytime soon or am a A-Level student but I have a few questions. In terms of the whole process of getting admitted, did they care much for GCSE and A-Level grades?
They honestly couldn't care less about your grades😂 The only thing stopping you is your personal aptitude for the respective subjects. It's easy to get into Sofia medical school with C's in Chem and Bio😁 They don't even look at your GCSE results despite the fact that they ask for your certificates.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They honestly couldn't care less about your grades😂 The only thing stopping you is your personal aptitude for the respective subjects. It's easy to get into Sofia medical school with C's in Chem and Bio😁 They don't even look at your GCSE results despite the fact that they ask for your certificates.
Really? I thought it would be a lot tougher than that to get in. Personally, what do you think they care about the most? I know my brothers friend who got in but his GCSE's were very good but he dropped in A2 and only got C in Bio and Chem.
bgmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
Really? I thought it would be a lot tougher than that to get in. Personally, what do you think they care about the most? I know my brothers friend who got in but his GCSE's were very good but he dropped in A2 and only got C in Bio and Chem.
This is all relative to each other as the uni doesn't really care about your grades in A-Levels or GCSE's. However relatively they care more about your A-Levels. Also, the agent you use can make all the difference regarding how easy it is for you to get a place😀
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is all relative to each other as the uni doesn't really care about your grades in A-Levels or GCSE's. However relatively they care more about your A-Levels. Also, the agent you use can make all the difference regarding how easy it is for you to get a place😀
Agent? This is where it gets confusing, what do they do? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm trying to learn more about it.
bgmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
Agent? This is where it gets confusing, what do they do? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm trying to learn more about it.
The agent acts as a middle man between you and the uni. They're able to get you the place in the uni. They collect your documents and submit it to the uni and act on your behalf😁
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The agent acts as a middle man between you and the uni. They're able to get you the place in the uni. They collect your documents and submit it to the uni and act on your behalf😁
Oh are they any expensive if you have to pay? How are you finding it, is it a lot cheaper over there than here?
bgmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
Oh are they any expensive if you have to pay? How are you finding it, is it a lot cheaper over there than here?
They're not too expensive. Bulgarian prices are wayyyyyyy cheaper that England. It's actually so cheap in Bulgaria it isn't even funny. For example you can get an unlimited amount of public transport for only £9 a month. You can get jumbo pizzas for only pennies😂
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They're not too expensive. Bulgarian prices are wayyyyyyy cheaper that England. It's actually so cheap in Bulgaria it isn't even funny. For example you can get an unlimited amount of public transport for only £9 a month. You can get jumbo pizzas for only pennies😂
Damn! You're making me so tempted to study there. I really want to go now!
bgmedstudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
Damn! You're making me so tempted to study there. I really want to go now!
I wholeheartedly encourage you to come over mate, I'd be more than happy to see you over in Sofia😉
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wholeheartedly encourage you to come over mate, I'd be more than happy to see you over in Sofia😉
Would love to go there! Hopefully one day I will go there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%