The Student Room Group

Unexpected Gap Year, no money and no idea what to do

So I got my results and I really wasn't happy with them. I've decided to re-take some of my exams, so I'll be applying for Uni again for 2016 entry.

Unfortunately, I've literally got about £50 in my bank account, so there's not a lot I can do, especially because I've left it a bit late.

I really don't want to waste this year, and I am applying for all the jobs that I can find, but I do want something else to do. I'm applying for some local volunteering as well.

One of the thing I'm worried about is not having stuff to put in my personal statement related to my course (I want to do maths).

So yeah... How did you guys deal with Gap Years on a budget? And do you have any recommendations for any organisations that I can work with.
Original post by OIORTTOTL
So I got my results and I really wasn't happy with them. I've decided to re-take some of my exams, so I'll be applying for Uni again for 2016 entry.

Unfortunately, I've literally got about £50 in my bank account, so there's not a lot I can do, especially because I've left it a bit late.

I really don't want to waste this year, and I am applying for all the jobs that I can find, but I do want something else to do. I'm applying for some local volunteering as well.

One of the thing I'm worried about is not having stuff to put in my personal statement related to my course (I want to do maths).

So yeah... How did you guys deal with Gap Years on a budget? And do you have any recommendations for any organisations that I can work with.

I'm also taking a gap year to resit and trying to find a job and some sort of volunteering for the mean time. Also, I'm trying to build my personal statement by doing things related to my desired course (I want to study Physics). For example I plan on attending loads of physics lectures run by official organisations, which you can generally find online. If you can find events like this for maths, it would probably be really worthwhile! Also, considering tutoring children in maths or something would be a good idea - maths tutors are always needed, it could provide money and would look great on your personal statement. This could be done locally or maybe you could try and join a tutoring firm? Hopefully this helped a little bit... good luck with your gap year!
Hello, i think i'am going to be in the same boat as i do not want to go to my clearing options.
I will be self teaching futher maths, but im also planning a trip, i ll fund this with my job.

Other than that i don't know what else to do, i'm also going to do maths at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest