The Student Room Group

Advice for getting an internship

So I've finished my first year at Cambridge studying maths and got a strong 2.1 (69/100) and I'm hoping to get an internship over Christmas/Easter/summer. I haven't decided exactly what type of internship yet, but most likely investment banking, actuary, or software engineering. My worry is that I currently have no work experience whatsoever and apart from a good academic record I don't have too much to offer. Is there anything I can do in the next few months to strengthen my application? Do companies usually take interns with no work experience?
I can only speak from an Actuarial side of things - I did make investment banking applications, however they weren't overly successful...

For actuarial work they do not expect you to have relevant work experience when applying for internships. In fact almost no one has relevant work experience when applying. It is good however to have some work experience, absolutely anything, volunteering, shop work etc. If you don't or can't get this, having any position of responsibility can be good too - so any form of society leadership position or something similar would be good.

The reason for the work experience is mostly to answer companies competency questions which revolve around "a time you did x". I know a few people who got into Actuarial internships without any prior working experience.

If you want any advice on applying to Actuarial I'm more than happy to help.
Reply 2
Original post by Joel_tsr
So I've finished my first year at Cambridge studying maths and got a strong 2.1 (69/100) and I'm hoping to get an internship over Christmas/Easter/summer. I haven't decided exactly what type of internship yet, but most likely investment banking, actuary, or software engineering. My worry is that I currently have no work experience whatsoever and apart from a good academic record I don't have too much to offer. Is there anything I can do in the next few months to strengthen my application? Do companies usually take interns with no work experience?

It is absolutely necessary to gain some working experience before you graduate. How about an internship in China? Have you ever thought about it?
Reply 3
Any sort of work experience is useful. Volunteering in a charity shop is probably the easiest, they always need staff. You can then talk about working with colleagues and customers, timekeeping and developing business skills. Getting paid work is better, even working in a fast food outlet because it shows you have a good work ethic and willing to do whats needed plus you get work references.
Reply 4
If it's hard to find the proper internship in your interested area in your country, I suggest you change to other country. It's more challenging and rewarding. As far as I know, there are some internships available in investment banks in China. Plz feel free to ask me if you have questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending