Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

becoming a teacher? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi, does any1 on here want to be a teacher after universitty? i've been looking at a few options but can't really decide what area of teaching to go into (e.g. primary/secondary/college). if any1 else is thinking about doing this could you drop me a message in this thread pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelSomerset)
    hi, does any1 on here want to be a teacher after universitty? i've been looking at a few options but can't really decide what area of teaching to go into (e.g. primary/secondary/college). if any1 else is thinking about doing this could you drop me a message in this thread pls
    nope but someone i know is becoming a physics teacher at secondary level..

he didnt even start off wanting to be a teacher, but also means he get more support from the goverment this way

ReputationRep:
    can't believe u wanna become a teacher
    well u must have lots patience which i am lacking

ReputationRep:
    my sister wants to teach history at secondary school level.

ReputationRep:
    My mate wants to be a teacher. He wanted to be a doctor but he failed chemistry so now he's decided on teaching (Primary school)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    My mate wants to be a teacher. He wanted to be a doctor but he failed chemistry so now he's decided on teaching (Primary school)
    HE?? dont like primary school teachers are compulsory to be female :rolleyes:

I want to be a teacher. My best subjects are probably any of maths, history and physics but i've decided against teaching at a secondary school because with exceptions the kids are too cruel. Instead i want to be a primary school teacher, i went to my old primay school for a week on work experience in October and if you want to go into teaching i'd recommend that - the kids are way nicer!

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to be a tesol english teacher next year at college (higher education level) in china.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    i'm going to be a tesol english teacher next year at college (higher education level) in china.
    I can't wait to do that either, though i've got to do my TEFL certificate first... and to get that i have to do two years teaching in England...

But i love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    Hell no. Loads of primary school teachers are male. Why would you think that? :rolleyes:

It's not actually a bad job being a teacher. The money is OK (£25-30k pa, rising if you're a head/deputy) and the holidays are good.

ReputationRep:
    Go to work in a private school, you can get anything up to twelve weeks off in the Summer and plus you get a higher salary. Bratty kids though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    Yeah, he. Primary School teachers can be male!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charters)
    Go to work in a private school, you can get anything up to twelve weeks off in the Summer and plus you get a higher salary. Bratty kids though
    kids in private schools are often better... *prepares for barrage of insults*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    kids in private schools are often better... *prepares for barrage of insults*
    why would you get insults?

I've been to both private and state schools and it's really no different except private school kids get involved in drugs more often, which isn't what you'd expect but that's what happens - they're also more snobby, so private school kids really aren't better...from my experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I've been to both private and state schools and it's really no different except private school kids get involved in drugs more often, which isn't what you'd expect but that's what happens - they're also more snobby, so private school kids really aren't better...from my experience!
    it does depend you know- you generally find the people with real wealth aren't snobby. The drugs bit is true though because of the money to buy them. Personally I wouldn't like to go to a state school.

I know it depends, of course, i did stree it was just from my experience. I wouldn't touch any form of secondary school teaching with a barge pole - uni or primary all the way! In my case primary, and if you go for uni be good, no affairs! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I know it depends, of course, i did stree it was just from my experience. I wouldn't touch any form of secondary school teaching with a barge pole - uni or primary all the way! In my case primary, and if you go for uni be good, no affairs! :eek:
    Sorry about this but I have to know....how far away is Marlborough boarding school from Bath?
    Why is it that you find the short men always teach little kids, thats from just what I have seen. Maybe they are scared about being intimidated by secondry school children.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna be a teacher too when i leave university and i cant decide what kind!
    Ne one got any useful advice for me? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i am doing gcses this year - actually they start 2moro :eek: but anyway i either wanna be a teacher with children who have multiple and profound disabilities or i wanna b a speech and language therapist with them. i think with teaching u get more time actually getting to know the children instead of just analysing their speech. i did my work experience at a special school n worked mainly with the teachers but also a bit with the speech n language therapist. anyone doing anyjob similar to these? if they are please pm me with advice/experiences. thnx very much
    heather xxx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.