The Student Room Group

Help with choosing A Levels???

I'm in Year 11 and have to think about what I want to take for my A levels soon. I have already decided that I definitely want to do English Literature, History and ICT. However for my fourth option I'm not sure whether to choose Spanish or a more facilitating/logical subject like biology? I'm thinking about studying law at university or going into teaching? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
hi! spanish is regarded just as high as biology - as they are both facilitating subjects, so if your struggling between the two choose the one you most enjoy/the one your more likely to do well in. Does the college your going to offer law at A Level? As that might be a good option to take - so you know whether or not you enjoy it and whether its worth doing it in university :smile:
Original post by the_1975
I'm in Year 11 and have to think about what I want to take for my A levels soon. I have already decided that I definitely want to do English Literature, History and ICT. However for my fourth option I'm not sure whether to choose Spanish or a more facilitating/logical subject like biology? I'm thinking about studying law at university or going into teaching? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

Hello! My advice would be to think about what you enjoy and what you are best at. Studying something that you like and is suited to you will mean you get a better grade! From your choices of English Lit, History and ICT, it seems that you prefer essay based subjects to something scientific. On this basis, I would say go with Spanish. A language will be very valuable to you. It will enhance your employment prospects and add something to your CV that many other people do not have.

It is worth knowing that studying one science at A Level will not get you very far. If you want to do a science course most universities will require two sciences. Furthermore, sciences are known to be very difficult at A Level and much harder than GCSE. A lot of people really struggle with them and when AS results come out do not do as well as they expected.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by littlebluedinosaur
Hello! My advice would be to think about what you enjoy and what you are best at. Studying something that you like and is suited to you will mean you get a better grade! From your choices of English Lit, History and ICT, it seems that you prefer essay based subjects to something scientific. On this basis, I would say go with Spanish. A language will be very valuable to you. It will enhance your employment prospects and add something to your CV that many other people do not have.

It is worth knowing that studying one science at A Level will not get you very far. If you want to do a science course most universities will require two sciences. Furthermore, sciences are known to be very difficult at A Level and much harder than GCSE. A lot of people really struggle with them and when AS results come out do not do as well as they expected.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thank you soooo much! That really helped out a lot - I never knew that about science A levels, I think Spanish will definitely be suited to me more :smile:
Thanks again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by bdlands
hi! spanish is regarded just as high as biology - as they are both facilitating subjects, so if your struggling between the two choose the one you most enjoy/the one your more likely to do well in. Does the college your going to offer law at A Level? As that might be a good option to take - so you know whether or not you enjoy it and whether its worth doing it in university :smile:

No,unfortunately law isn't offered but I do find sciences relatively difficult compared to Spanish which comes more naturally to me so I'll probably go for Spanish - thank you so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest