The Student Room Group

Applying for finance 1 term into uni

Hello!

This is pretty complicated so I'll try to explain as clearly as I can.

My wife is planning to apply for university in London. We both live in Brazil but she has a Portuguese passport, we'll both be moving back to the UK soon. I read you have to wait 3 years before being able to receive financing. The problem is I'm trying to work out if we have to be in the UK before September 1st or before the first date the course starts (no where does it specify).

My question is... If we need to be in the UK before 1st September to receive funding, and we can't make it (ie. we arrive on the 8th September) does it mean we just miss out on funding for just the first term? Ie. can we pay for the first term and receive funding for the remaining time at university?

Thanks!
Hi there,

If you dare not resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the 1st of September, we would be unable to provide funding for the full course.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there,

If you dare not resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the 1st of September, we would be unable to provide funding for the full course.

Thanks.

So she couldn't pay for just the first term and then Student Finance cover the rest?

What if she applied through clearing? I'm not too sure how that works but don't you start the course in January if you apply through clearing?
Hi again,

Some courses through clearing still start in September. You would need to check the course details with the Uni to confirm the start dates.

If your Wife is starting in January, then the 3 years residency would have to be confirmed for the 3 years prior to January the 1st.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending