The Student Room Group

NUS Card worth it?

Is the NUS card really worth it?

~Starting university this september!
thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Everyone I know who has one says yes but I still don't have one :')
Original post by Ting Ya

I d say yes as i use it multiple times for amazon discounts and at my local cinema, nearly everywhere in my city as student discount and as my uni id has no expiry date some are fussy about accepting it but having a nus card gets round that:smile:
Hi,

Am I able to get a NUS card now? My course starts near the end of September and was not sure. Also, when I tried to purchase there were two options for the university which I am going to attend; one University of B Studnts union and one just university of B :/ also if NUS is coming home it's one pound extra not sure why?
Hi all, currently doing an apprenticeship so looking at ways of saving money and someone suggested getting a NUS card...When I went on the website the University had more than one Union name. I also had to log in and verify with student details, but my course is seperate so I have no log in details? Has anyone succesfully applied for a card without verifying the card details? TIA
Original post by MellyDutchess
Hi all, currently doing an apprenticeship so looking at ways of saving money and someone suggested getting a NUS card...When I went on the website the University had more than one Union name. I also had to log in and verify with student details, but my course is seperate so I have no log in details? Has anyone succesfully applied for a card without verifying the card details? TIA

Give them a call, they used to do a paper form that you could get someone to sign if you couldnt do it online.
Original post by ssargithan
Hi,

Am I able to get a NUS card now? My course starts near the end of September and was not sure. Also, when I tried to purchase there were two options for the university which I am going to attend; one University of B Studnts union and one just university of B :/ also if NUS is coming home it's one pound extra not sure why?

If you ve enrolled already then i think you can get it. Whenever i buy mine i ve picked the uni options but not sure what difference it makes. I think they may have started to charge for delivery for them hence the extra pound:smile:
I had one throughtout college and got my money back on my first purchase! (£30 worth of condoms for £5)
Original post by MellyDutchess

I doubt they even check, just buy it and get it sent to your house!
My uni isn't part of NUS so I can't get one but I've never been refused student discount using just my uni ID so I'm not sure I'd bother paying for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just ordered one online, I've heard mixed reviews about it. Apparently they're only really good for online shopping because you can get student discount with your uni ID in actual stores. But I do a lot of online shopping haha so I guess it's good for me :h:
Original post by gohohome
I just ordered one online, I've heard mixed reviews about it. Apparently they're only really good for online shopping because you can get student discount with your uni ID in actual stores. But I do a lot of online shopping haha so I guess it's good for me :h:

Normally just any old student ID will do, but some ask for NUS. Pizza Express is one example (but 40% off a meal makes the NUS card worth it).
Yep - if you are ever going to go to Pizza Express, or Frankie and Bennys, or Zizzi - then it's worth it. Especially Pizza Express - 40% off food and drinks for up to 10 people on Mondays and Tuesdays - it's mad!

Also some places like Co-Op only accept NUS and won't take normal uni cards.

If you get the student account with Lloyds - you get an NUS card free for your degree :smile:
I had one in sixth form and in comparison to what I use now, I barely used my NUS card. I have a student ID from my uni which I use to get discounts at the cinema and free food at McDonalds. Unidays is probably the best free student discount out there. Most places have a 10-20% discount with them including big names like Asos. I use them by far the most and its most convenient when doing online shopping. Their customer service is good too, one of the codes they gave me wasn't working and they sent me a new one fairly fast.
Original post by Lemon Haze
I had one throughtout college and got my money back on my first purchase! (£30 worth of condoms for £5)

Why the hell are you paying for condoms?! Just nip to your local NHS GUM clinic and they'll shower you in them!
Original post by Scouse Mouse
The 50% discount on Spotify Premium makes it worth it, IMO. :yy:

You can get this without an NUS card. :biggrin:
Original post by Ting Ya

I would say no! I've had one for two years, I rarely use it and when I do, you can only ever get 10% off. Plus, most shops will accept any kind of student ID to give the discount, not necessarily an NUS card, and you'll definitely get some kind of student ID card from your new uni that you could use instead. Also, the Unidays app is free to download and gives you online discount!

That being said, some student bank accounts (Lloyds, I definitely know do, not sure about any others) give NUS cards out for free, so if you can get hold of one without paying then it's worth having in your bag.
Original post by Scouse Mouse
Oh really? How do you prove you're a student without the NUS card? :curious:

UniDays, which requires email confirmation to an ac.uk email address...

That discounter probably does the same, if not more discount than NUS online. They even help with student access to the Apple Store.
Reply 18
Looking at the food discounts such as Pizza Express, it's the only reason I'd buy the card...for huge discounts...10% discounts are like nothing sometimes -.-
Cheers for all the reviews! ^_^

If i do sign up, do i sign up with my university email or personal email? O.O
Original post by Ting Ya
Looking at the food discounts such as Pizza Express, it's the only reason I'd buy the card...for huge discounts...10% discounts are like nothing sometimes -.-
Cheers for all the reviews! ^_^

If i do sign up, do i sign up with my university email or personal email? O.O

Uni email:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest