Official AS Geography Exam thread! Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
What is everyone using for their volcano and earthquake case studies? I don't know any in much detail
im doing the taiwan earthqake 1999 and mount etna
Dajoruna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
for the ocr geoggers - what do we need to know for depression and anti-cyclone? can someone type out the main points i need to know for them?
I don't do OCR but am doing A2 EDEXCEL Geography and both depressions and anti-cyclones are on the syllabus. I'd say you need to know the formation (e.g. the two airmasses that form a depression, Pm and Tm), the features (e.g anti-cyclone is high pressure so very stable), the weather they bring and the affects. Also the differences between summer and winter anti-cyclones as well as interraction between the two (e.g. anti-cyclones over central Europe push depressions north wards changing their usual path).
Dajoruna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
International Migration case studies include:

Turkey to Germany - At end of WW2 Germany used turkish workers to fill gaps in employment, however in times of depression many Germans resented 'their' jobs being filled by Turkish workers. Fall of Berlin wall resulted in cheap labour from East Germany flooding in diluting the need for the Turkisk workers.
Mexico to USA - pretty straight forward.
North Africa to France - former colonial links/rulership (some still exist) and same languages have led to a pretty consistent flow.
West Indies to UK - After WW2 in order to help boost the population there was an influx of people from the Carribean to Britain.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dajoruna)
International Migration case studies include:

Turkey to Germany - At end of WW2 Germany used turkish workers to fill gaps in employment, however in times of depression many Germans resented 'their' jobs being filled by Turkish workers. Fall of Berlin wall resulted in cheap labour from East Germany flooding in diluting the need for the Turkisk workers.
Mexico to USA - pretty straight forward.
North Africa to France - former colonial links/rulership (some still exist) and same languages have led to a pretty consistent flow.
West Indies to UK - After WW2 in order to help boost the population there was an influx of people from the Carribean to Britain.
thanks! another question - how do constructive boundaries cause volanoes?
~Sam~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
thanks! another question - how do constructive boundaries cause volanoes?
The plates diverge leaving a gap which the magma surges up through to form volcanoes
Meghan
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
I can't believ my willpower stood it. I've actually been revising! Well, most days anyway! Geog and Bio in the next 2 days though I'm sure it'll all be ok. And yep, 69, that's how many our teacher gave us over the year. Now, now matter what question comes up, I'll have a case study for it
69! that's crazy. :eek: the most i've ever learned for any geography exam is 6. that way, i can learn those in-depth, and they usually cross over into several mini-topics.
Dajoruna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Meghan)
69! that's crazy. :eek: the most i've ever learned for any geography exam is 6. that way, i can learn those in-depth, and they usually cross over into several mini-topics.
Don't worry about other people having learnt 69 or whatever, I learnt about 10 max last year in any real detail, others are only really needed to back up ideas or to add to an extended piece of writing. For instance if writing about a topic and you say "Another scheme used in X...." etc you show that you have a wider range of knowledge without having to necessarily go into detail. Served me ok last year anyway.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ocr peeps - do we need to know surface and subsurface structures of limestone and granite?
MM-Fan
Report 14 years ago
I'm doing OCR too for tomorrow. I'm not sure whether we have to learn about granite scenery or not as I cant remember doing it in class.

Also what case studies are there for weater phenomena? I've revised Los Angeles temperature inversion and thats it.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MM-Fan)
I'm doing OCR too for tomorrow. I'm not sure whether we have to learn about granite scenery or not as I cant remember doing it in class.

Also what case studies are there for weater phenomena? I've revised Los Angeles temperature inversion and thats it.
there are no case studies for the atmosphere section i think
MM-Fan
Report 14 years ago
you sure? It came up in my mock and I used the temperature inversion of Los Angeles.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you sure? It came up in my mock and I used the temperature inversion of Los Angeles.
yep just checked spec nothing on case studies under atmosphere
MM-Fan
Report 14 years ago
Ok. Do we have to learn characteristics of air mases over Britain in detail and formation of depressions?

Also when is lava more viscous?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok. Do we have to learn characteristics of air mases over Britain in detail and formation of depressions?

Also when is lava more viscous?

yea about airmasses over britain and definitely formation of depressions
MM-Fan
Report 14 years ago
ok cheers for the help. Probably do about a hour more revision tonight and a bit more tomorrow morning on case studies. I've got about 15 case studies to patch up my memory on and learn some of the important facts.
soph2004
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hiya peeps

im doing about well learning about 42 case studies i have more but im not learning them

can people help i just doing the exam paper and its asking this question

" outline two possible benifits of the shanty town system. " :confused:

would would you guys put

thanks sophie
spikeyguru
Report 14 years ago
edexcel geog 2moro...cant remember which spec, but i did the applied skills paper. lol ive only learned a few case studies and they are mainly human, they tend to ask fewer physical case study questions

The more silica the lava has in it the more viscous it is, and the lava tends to b more viscous in the more violent volcanoes at destructive plate margins. hope that helps
Dajoruna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by soph2004)
hiya peeps

im doing about well learning about 42 case studies i have more but im not learning them

can people help i just doing the exam paper and its asking this question

" outline two possible benifits of the shanty town system. " :confused:

would would you guys put

thanks sophie
1. Helps create community values
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by spikeyguru)
edexcel geog 2moro...cant remember which spec, but i did the applied skills paper. lol ive only learned a few case studies and they are mainly human, they tend to ask fewer physical case study questions

The more silica the lava has in it the more viscous it is, and the lava tends to b more viscous in the more violent volcanoes at destructive plate margins. hope that helps
You're doing spec A, same as me
Xulfer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bah time for bed I think. Gotta go early, I've been going to sleep at 2 in the morning every night for the past couple of weeks :eek: Need sleep...

Just sub-urbanisation and counter-urbanisation then I'll finish...

Good luck all

-=X=-
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1047)
79.02%
Leave (278)
20.98%

Watched Threads