Questions for those that just completed Geography

Watch this thread
K W
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can you give any recommendations to those starting A2 geography this year.
Such as good Youtubers who do revision or great revision books.
Good geography websites to check.

Anything really
K W
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
bump
DaveUncle
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by K W)

Anything really
Are you with Edexcel? If so I would be happy to help
lizmoo0721
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Are you doing Edexcel? Start unit 4 as early as possible when the pre-release comes out, I was doing mine while my exams had started!!
K W
Rep:
Yep I'm doing Edexcel also bump
lizmoo0721
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by K W)
Yep I'm doing Edexcel also bump
Woo, I loved this exam board hahaha!
I recommend practicing essays, it will pay off, I got full UMS in until 3, this was literally only because I practiced every single essay.
I would focus on 3/6 topics is a lot of detail, research your own case studies. This is what I did. Examiners are going to get incredible bored by reading the same essays with the same case studies again and again from the core text book. It'll make your work stand out and flow better if you know what you're talking about through your own research.
For section B, I did find the pre-release difficult and time consuming. YOU HAVE TO BE PREPARED for this, prepare the questions they will ask, there is only so many. Have well rounded research and figures.

I used this website https://geographyalevelslc.wordpress.com }} for the core understanding but I don't think it goes into that much detail.

If you have any more questions, let me know
tgwktm
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by K W)

Anything really
the best way to succeed in geography at A level is to enjoy it and develop a deep interest in geographical issues. To do this don't just take the case studies that you are given or that are in the textbook because that is just memorising information and is the same information that many other students across the country will be using. instead, whenever you come across a news story or an article online that you think can be made into a case study for one of your topics then use it. this way you are actually learning new information. do as much reading of things like this as possible, watch videos, even watching the news on a daily basis will be helpful.

reading geographical/scientific magazines is good as well. when i did A level a lot of people in my class subscribed to national geographic- a lot of good case studies i used came from there or the national geographic website.

another good magazine is Geographical this is the magazine i currently subscribe to whilst studying geography at university, but if i had heard of it earlier i reckon it would have been useful for GCSE and A level too. It is the official magazine of the Royal geographical Society so has a lot of information that is relevant to the UK.

My teacher also used to lend us copies of a magazine called Geographical Review- this magazine is very good for A level Geography because it is written specifically for A level Geology/geography students. I think this subscription has to come through a school/ college but you may be able to buy an individual subscription yourself.

as for websites- the websites of national geographic and geographical magazines have a lot of free articles and materials you can access without a subscription. also websites such as bbc news especially the science/environment section for current events/information. finally i will plug my own geography blog https://vamoswearegolden.wordpress.com/geography/ I wrote the majority of this over the course of my A level in Geography so there are a lot of good case studies on there which you are free to use if you like. the more recent ones are from my time in first year of my geography degree.

hope this is useful information to you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
43.75%
Not yet, but I will soon (55)
17.19%
No (125)
39.06%

Watched Threads