Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what to take but these are the ones I'm considering, I dunno out of these which ones to take!

Biology *
    Chemistry *
    French *
    German
    English *
    History

*= what I'm most likely to take.

What do you suggest? Anyone who takes these subjects and enjoys/recommends them?

(Original post by kieshaxxx)
    I'm not sure what to take but these are the ones I'm considering, I dunno out of these which ones to take!

Biology *
    Chemistry *
    French *
    German
    English *
    History

What do you suggest? Anyone who takes these subjects and enjoys/recommends them?
    Have you any particular university course / career in mind? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    good choices! i'm taking chemistry, biology, french, economics, general studies and geography next year... as long as you're able to learn facts (biology), have the ability for english (with some style and flare) and can understand quite complex things (chemistry) and are aiming at an A/A* for french, i'm sure you'll be fine. You've also got to be able to do maths, for chemistry.

ReputationRep:

Biology *
    Chemistry *
    French *
    German
    English *
    History

I do A level history and I hate it. But don't let that influence you! If you are thinking of doing history, find out what period you will be covering. For GCSE I did Hitler and stuff and loved it, but now I'm doing things like Henry VIII and Francis I and I hate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    good choices! i'm taking chemistry, biology, french, economics, general studies and geography next year... as long as you're able to learn facts (biology), have the ability for english (with some style and flare) and can understand quite complex things (chemistry) and are aiming at an A/A* for french, i'm sure you'll be fine. You've also got to be able to do maths, for chemistry.

Phew that's a lot of A-Levels. Yeh I am aiming for an A/A* for French and Also for Chem and Bio. Maths, I'm aiming for an A, so it should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I do A level history and I hate it. But don't let that influence you! If you are thinking of doing history, find out what period you will be covering. For GCSE I did Hitler and stuff and loved it, but now I'm doing things like Henry VIII and Francis I and I hate it

No, I wouldn't really consider the History if it was all Kings and Queens. But the course we are doing seems really interesting about WW2 and Hitler etc. And it's quite political, which should be good ... I dunno though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Have you any particular university course / career in mind? :confused:
    No, I don't know what I want to do when I'm older, that's what makes the decision so difficult! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Phew that's a lot of A-Levels. Yeh I am aiming for an A/A* for French and Also for Chem and Bio. Maths, I'm aiming for an A, so it should be ok!
    well i'm doing economics, chem, bio and geo to A-level and general studies and french to AS, and i've already done half my french AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    well i'm doing economics, chem, bio and geo to A-level and general studies and french to AS, and i've already done half my french AS.

Oh right. We have to do General Studies as a full A-level. When did you start doing your French AS then? You must be good!

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't know what I want to do when I'm older, that's what makes the decision so difficult! :confused:
    Isn't it essential to do maths then? as that leaves most of the doors open...
    (not on your list...)

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. We have to do General Studies as a full A-level. When did you start doing your French AS then? You must be good!
    i did gcse french in yr10 and the first two modules of AS french in yr11, then i have all of next year (yr12) to prepare the oral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    Isn't it essential to do maths then? as that leaves most of the doors open...
    (not on your list...)
    it is not essential to do maths, it may close some doors if you don't, but if you aren't good enough to do it at A-level *i'm not saying keisha isnt!* then you probably won't want a job with lots of maths in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    it is not essential to do maths, it may close some doors if you don't, but if you aren't good enough to do it at A-level *i'm not saying keisha isnt!* then you probably won't want a job with lots of maths in it.
    Well if you know what you want to do specifically then I think maths isn't essential; however, if you are good enough at it; its always worth doing... eg. there are people that I know who want to do economics at uni but didn't do maths and they didn't get offers at any top uni for economics as a result!!!

my advice is to find out what is on each course and do what you enjoy the most- and remember if it turns out that you don't like something you are doing it should be possible to change if you decide early enough although in my school someone changed from music to politics in december so even then its not too late lol...but yeh if you dont know what you want to do in the future then go for whatever you enjoy now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    Well if you know what you want to do specifically then I think maths isn't essential; however, if you are good enough at it; its always worth doing... eg. there are people that I know who want to do economics at uni but didn't do maths and they didn't get offers at any top uni for economics as a result!!!
    Well Maths isn't my strongest subject by a long shot! My predicted grade is an A*, but this is totally unrealistic. I think if I work really hard I get an A for Maths, but I'll be okay with a B. My Maths exam is on Tuesday and I haven't started revising yet!!! I don't know anything about Sine Curve Transformations because we haven't been taught it...please tell me it's easy! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well Maths isn't my strongest subject by a long shot! My predicted grade is an A*, but this is totally unrealistic. I think if I work really hard I get an A for Maths, but I'll be okay with a B. My Maths exam is on Tuesday and I haven't started revising yet!!! I don't know anything about Sine Curve Transformations because we haven't been taught it...please tell me it's easy! :eek:
    Well as maths is my strongest subject; I find it easy... I think they reformed the edexcel a level last year (changed pure to "core") which means its easier anyway... oh you are taling about transformations? they are easy too... y=asin(nx+b) a = max height; b= shift to left if b>0 of shift to right if b<0
    1/n= factor of the change in axis or n= amount the curve is stretched or shrunk. eg. y=5sin(2x-30) would have amplitude of 5, moved 30 to the right and axis is halfed for one complete oscillation... or the curve is stretched by 2.
    same for cos and tan
    I think this is correct but I can't remember this stuff properly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    Well as maths is my strongest subject; I find it easy... I think they reformed the edexcel a level last year (changed pure to "core") which means its easier anyway... oh you are taling about transformations? they are easy too... y=asin(nx+b) a = max height; b= shift to left if b>0 of shift to right if b<0
    1/n= factor of the change in axis or n= amount the curve is stretched or shrunk. eg. y=5sin(2x-30) would have amplitude of 5, moved 30 to the right and axis is halfed for one complete oscillation... or the curve is stretched by 2.
    same for cos and tan
    I think this is correct but I can't remember this stuff properly...
    I am doing the Maths Exam (GCSE EDEXCEL) on Tuesday and that all looks right.
    And the questions on the transformations of trig. waves aren't very difficult you just have to know your f of x functions and then re-apply them.

I am doing:

• Physics
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Maths
    • Further Maths

For AS next year, and I hope to carry them all on.

Your choices look alright to me, just go with what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    I am doing the Maths Exam (GCSE EDEXCEL) on Tuesday and that all looks right.
    And the questions on the transformations of trig. waves aren't very difficult you just have to know your f of x functions and then re-apply them.

I am doing:

• Physics
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Maths
    • Further Maths

For AS next year, and I hope to carry them all on.

Your choices look alright to me, just go with what you want.
    Isn't it good to do at least one non-science/maths subject?
    One of my straight A mates got rejected for medicine from QM because he only did sciences and maths and no arts/humanities (they told him this)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    Isn't it good to do at least one non-science/maths subject?
    One of my straight A mates got rejected for medicine from QM because he only did sciences and maths and no arts/humanities (they told him this)...
    I think you ought to back up your truck. Who said I wanted to do Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    I think you ought to back up your truck. Who said I wanted to do Medicine?
    I didn't say that you wanted to do medicine... I just tryed to say varying your subjects can be beneficial... mind you that mate got into imperial i think...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.