The Student Room Group

Why is Sheffield University embarrassing themself?

Why is Sheffield University embarrasing themself with videos like this?

[video="youtube;3Q8S5lRY3JE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q8S5lRY3JE[/video]

They should be promoting themselves in a much better light than using silly videos like this. They should be promoting themselves as one of the UK's top universities in the Russell Group.

Scroll to see replies

I'm calling out the university to explain these silly videos, they have done quite a few like this.
Original post by King of the Ring
Why is Sheffield University embarrasing themself with videos like this?

[video="youtube;3Q8S5lRY3JE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q8S5lRY3JE[/video]

They should be promoting themselves in a much better light than using silly videos like this. They should be promoting themselves as one of the UK's top universities in the Russell Group.

It's meant to be funny?

It's much better than the standard dull videos that universities normally put out showing all their architecture, stating that they are an 'academic powerhouse' and mentioning their 'top of the league table' position from about four years ago.

It mainly attracts young undergraduates. If they were trying to attract post-grads etc. then yes, it is a bit weird. They will post many different videos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm calling out the university to explain these silly videos, they have done quite a few like this.

Oh for god's sake, calm down. You'll burst your nappy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Oh for god's sake, calm down. You'll burst your nappy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if they want to make themselves look like a university that isn't bothered about prestige or reputation, this is one way to go about it! They have made the university look like a joke. Would Edinburgh University ever do something like this?
Well, if they want to make themselves look like a university that isn't bothered about prestige or reputation, this is one way to go about it! They have made the university look like a joke. Would Edinburgh University ever do something like this?

You are aware that there will me numerous of these 'attract applicant' videos. It doesn't make them look bad. It shows that there is some fun to the university.

Yes they probably would.

I think you're a troll.
Posted from TSR Mobile
You are aware that there will me numerous of these 'attract applicant' videos. It doesn't make them look bad. It shows that there is some fun to the university.

Yes they probably would.

I think you're a troll.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't care what you think regarding your scant comment ''troll''.

Back to the point, Sheffield actually posted a video like this on their homepage, and only recently removed it. Youtube has loads of silly videos under their banner. I can really see students from the best schools with the top grades queuing up to apply to Sheffield with this bizzare tactic.
Reply 7
Also that girl has done quite a few other videos advising people about university, especially studying abroad - so they probably used her who is a familiar face to some students as some of her videos have a strong following
Because the videos are funny and honest which makes it a nice change from most others' marketing methods. Sheffield's comfortable enough with its reputation that it doesn't care to take itself seriously and it's also going after particular types of students, and those people are a big part of what makes the university great.
I don't care what you think regarding your scant comment ''troll''.

Back to the point, Sheffield actually posted a video like this on their homepage, and only recently removed it. Youtube has loads of silly videos under their banner. I can really see students from the best schools with the top grades queuing up to apply to Sheffield with this bizzare tactic.

Meh. I did. So did loads of my peers who had all A/A* grades. We don't have rods stuck up our arses like some and can see the funny side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Olorin
Also that girl has done quite a few other videos advising people about university, especially studying abroad - so they probably used her who is a familiar face to some students as some of her videos have a strong following

That girl also did a really wierd video about different types of freshers. The only thing she achieved in doing so was to make herself look like a brat, something which Sheffield was unwise to get involved with.
Meh. I did. So did loads of my peers who had all A/A* grades. We don't have rods stuck up our arses like some and can see the funny side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Because the videos are funny and honest which makes it a nice change from most others' marketing methods. Sheffield's comfortable enough with its reputation that it doesn't care to take itself seriously and it's also going after particular types of students, and those people are a big part of what makes the university great.

Yeah, right, I can just see goofy videos like that being brought up in the board meetings of the university. It was obviously some stunt pulled by one of the marketing team who had lost the plot.
I hate when establishments pretend they have a sense of humour. Just keep it professional please.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I hate when establishments pretend they have a sense of humour. Just keep it professional please.

Me too. Sheffield is ranked 69th in the QS World rankings, and they can't afford to market themselves to the World that they are a joke.
It's because she has like 30,000 + youtube subscribers on her own channel so they must have asked her to do it and given her free reign
Original post by Detiri17
It's because she has like 30,000 + youtube subscribers on her own channel so they must have asked her to do it and given her free reign

I think it more likely that she asked them.
Sheffield is one of the happiest cities in the UK. The enthusiasm and friendliness she brings across in that video is the sort of person Sheffield wants, not someone, as Moonstruck16 said, with a rod up their arse.

Everyone knows Sheffield has a strong reputation and it will always recruit students with high grades. And, I prefer their marketing strategy on YouTube over others who don't even have campus tour videos which give no feel for the university.
Original post by Exceptional
Sheffield is one of the happiest cities in the UK. The enthusiasm and friendliness she brings across in that video is the sort of person Sheffield wants, not someone, as Moonstruck16 said, with a rod up their arse.

Everyone knows Sheffield has a strong reputation and it will always recruit students with high grades. And, I prefer their marketing strategy on YouTube over others who don't even have campus tour videos which give no feel for the university.

So you are saying all other UK universities don't want happy people? Your reasoning is disappointing.
So you are saying all other UK universities don't want happy people? Your reasoning is disappointing.

Clearly not, but it's a point that Sheffield often like to boast about as seen in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18HuHM6jDKU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending