What's more attractive to universities?

Watch this thread
blitzchika
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So for A level I'll be taking Biology, Psychology, Maths and either Spanish or History. I'm struggling to pick between the two. Which subject will complement the others better and which is more attractive to universities?
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Either. They're likely not to choose one over the other. Do the one you'd do better at.
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
History might compliment psychology, since you'll be learning about old studies. Study the one you'll most enjoy, or the one you got a higher GCSE grade in. ☺️
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well, I guess with psychology and history you're both writing essays in English so they complement each other like that...but as the other poster said, you're probably better off choosing the one you're better at as they are difficult subjects
blitzchika
Rep:
I enjoy both subjects but I wanna choose the one that is more beneficial in the future
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blitzchika)
I enjoy both subjects but I wanna choose the one that is more beneficial in the future
From Bio Maths and Psychology, it sounds like you'll be doing something sciencey. For science courses, won't prefer one over the other. Maybe Psychology and Spanish may go well of you want to do something like Psychology and Linguistics. Learning languages is a challenging thing, so they'll always look respectable to unis.

History is also great. Maths and History have an excellent synergy I've found. A great one. They're good for things like Economics. Bankers are making a lot these days!

History will also be good for social sciences, and might compliment psychology well in that regard. So you could do something like Politcs at uni, or go into the civil service or other government/ social jobs. It also goes well with Biology for things like archaeology. It would also be good training for Law, another top career.

In terms of skills gained, I'd say they're both equal. Languages obviously train memory, oral, listening and oral skills. Translations are hard and show you've got talent, and you can think. Plus getting an A* is renowned to be impossible unless you're fluent.

History I'd say gives you more breadth for degree choices opening up an array of arts and social science subjects. You're analytical skills will drastically improve, and it trains the ability to think subjectively, and see different perspectives and generally deal with relative concepts. Essay writing and communication skills will also improve. . It also shows you have a huge memory.

It's up to you in the end, go for the one you'd enjoy more and be better at . Based on your other 3, I don't think it really matters at all which one you choose, as you seem to be going down a science route.
blitzchika
Rep:
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
From Bio Maths and Psychology, it sounds like you'll be doing something sciencey. For science courses, won't prefer one over the other. Maybe Psychology and Spanish may go well of you want to do something like Psychology and Linguistics. Learning languages is a challenging thing, so they'll always look respectable to unis.

History is also great. Maths and History have an excellent synergy I've found. A great one. They're good for things like Economics. Bankers are making a lot these days!

History will also be good for social sciences, and might compliment psychology well in that regard. So you could do something like Politcs at uni, or go into the civil service or other government/ social jobs. It also goes well with Biology for things like archaeology. It would also be good training for Law, another top career.

In terms of skills gained, I'd say they're both equal. Languages obviously train memory, oral, listening and oral skills. Translations are hard and show you've got talent, and you can think. Plus getting an A* is renowned to be impossible unless you're fluent.

History I'd say gives you more breadth for degree choices opening up an array of arts and social science subjects. You're analytical skills will drastically improve, and it trains the ability to think subjectively, and see different perspectives and generally deal with relative concepts. Essay writing and communication skills will also improve. . It also shows you have a huge memory.

It's up to you in the end, go for the one you'd enjoy more and be better at . Based on your other 3, I don't think it really matters at all which one you choose, as you seem to be going down a science route.
Thanks for the reply I think i'm going to choose Spanish cause I enjoy slightly more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (79)
66.39%
No (29)
24.37%
I didn't use it to prepare (11)
9.24%

Watched Threads