Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I know its a wee bit late to post this seeing the exams are tomorrow but it's my last resort... .

1. i) Explain why some flowers of 2 different varieties were covered with cellophane bags during selective breeding?

ii) Why is a brush needed?

2. i) What chemical do carnivorous plants use to digest trapped insects?

ii) Why does the plant grow better if it digests insects?

3. i) Why do herbivores die if they cannot breathe?

ii) How does nitrate fertiliser affect the river ecosystem if washes into it?

4. i) What is the function of the amniotic acid that the fetus is surrounded by in a womb?

That's all for now,
    BB
    PS I'm hopless at DT and all Sciences :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Blush Babe]

3. i) Why do herbivores die if they cannot breathe?
    If they cannot breathe, they can't take in the oxygen required for respiration and therefore they can't turn glucose into energy, without energy they will die
    ii) How does nitrate fertiliser affect the river ecosystem if washes into it?
    If fertilisers get into rivers, this causes the water plants to grow rapidly, then there is competition for light between the water plants. Some die, therefore the microbes that feed on the dead water plants increase, these microbes then use up all the oxygen and cause other animals and fish that live in the river to die by suffocation.
    [QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    I have the mark schemse for those questions, if you want ill write them down.....hold up lemme get them

ReputationRep:
    i. to prevent insect entry/to prevent pollination/to ensure correct pollen is used

ii. to pickup pollen/from anther to stigma

herbivore dies because
    does not take in oxygen/no respiration/does not get rid of toxcic carbon dioxide/lactic acid build up

ReputationRep:
    Someone Please Tell Me If Revising Just Off The Cgp Book Can Still Get Me An A Star

ReputationRep:
    3)ii) The process is called eutrophication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sloaney87)
    Someone Please Tell Me If Revising Just Off The Cgp Book Can Still Get Me An A Star
    Well, that's what I'm doing! I'm hoping for an A* ....

ReputationRep:
    Have you not been to your lessons?

I doubt you could get a star by just a little revision in this period, it is a two year course.

But I think with good coursework it is easily possible to hit the A* with the CGP revision guide. I think in many areas they go into too much detail.

I am using the CGp revision book for all three sciences and I hope to hit the star.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Have you not been to your lessons?

I doubt you could get a star by just a little revision in this period, it is a two year course.

But I think with good coursework it is easily possible to hit the A* with the CGP revision guide. I think in many areas they go into too much detail.

I am using the CGp revision book for all three sciences and I hope to hit the star.

Which Science course are you doing? I'm doing Edexcel Double Award Modular Course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    Which Science course are you doing? I'm doing Edexcel Double Award Modular Course.
    I am doing AQA Double Award. Very similar I believe.

ReputationRep:
    it is not possible to get A* using CGP books in triple science

ReputationRep:
    I have full marks for my coursework

anyway, those questions...I haven't seen the questions or the mark schemes so don't shout at me if they are wrong!

1. i) Explain why some flowers of 2 different varieties were covered with cellophane bags during selective breeding? I'm guessing to prevent any insects such as bees getting in and transferring pollen into the plant.

ii) Why is a brush needed? To transfer pollen from one plant to another.

2. i) What chemical do carnivorous plants use to digest trapped insects? Acid (?)

ii) Why does the plant grow better if it digests insects? The plant can gain much more energy from the insect, as well as other nutrients and minerals.

3. i) Why do herbivores die if they cannot breathe? The brain is starved of oxygen, and so is unable to carry out it's processes. All the cells in your body need oxygen to respire: to convert glucose to energy. The equation "Glucose (C6H12O6)+Oxygen(6O2) -> Carbon Dioxide(6CO2)+Water(6H2O)+Energy " shows this. Also, you'll see that Carbon Dioxide is produced, and the body needs to get rid of this by exhaling. With no oxygen, or very little oxygen, your muscles will start to do anaerobic respiration, which produces lactic acid, which is bad.

ii) How does nitrate fertiliser affect the river ecosystem if washes into it? This causes eutrophication. The algae in the river thrive on the extra nitrates, and so cover the whole surface of the river with a thick, opaque layer. The poor plants below which need light to carry out photosynthesis will die, obviously because they have no light. With no plants, there will be no more oxygen put back into the water. The algae use up all the oxygen in the water, and with none being put back in, the fish will die also. When the algae die, the bacteria will feed on the algae and use up all the oxygen in the river. This creates a dead river where nothing will grow.

4. i) What is the function of the amniotic acid that the fetus is surrounded by in a womb? Well, I know the amniotic fluid is to stop the foetus being banged about, and to prevent it being damaged by knocks.

Good Luck everyone who has their Biology exam on Monday. I'm doing GCSE separate sciences, so this is supposed to be the "easy" exam for me!! Gawd!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    it is not possible to get A* using CGP books in triple science
    No, you need the Additional Material separate sciences book for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    No, you need the Additional Material separate sciences book for that.
    yep i took triple last year i have to read As books to get A*

ReputationRep:
    Cheers people!
    More Qs coming up later...

I have the mark schemse for those questions, if you want ill write them down.....hold up lemme get them
    Where did you get the marking scheme cuz I think it's the same paper (Edexcel double award higher). It would mean a great deal if I can get my hands on it...

BB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)

I don't think so cuz in some areas its too vague and shady....
    unless u r doing a different board as I am (Edexcel).

BB

ReputationRep:
    Ive got the mark schemes for all the edexcel papers about 10 of them, im cool with giving you more answers if you want .

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.