The Student Room Group

P3 on Wednesday!

Anyone wanna bet what the difficulty of this paper would be? I reckon it'll either be very hard or fairly easy -> with no in betweens!!

I analysed the recent paper in January 2004, and the previous summer 2003 paper and noticed they are BOTH very difficult papers (even my friend who is excellent at maths only managed to get mid 80 marks for the Jan 2004 whereas usually he'd be in the 90s without a doubt)

Because Jan 2004 and June 2003 were so difficult, I have a feeling (and hoping) this years would probably not be too bad. But Edexcel are weird, so they'd probably decide to make this year very hard and then make the November 2004 ones really easy just to 'fit' in with the new upcoming "reduced content" easier Maths syllabus.
Reply 1
I have another question. If the paper is really hard do they lower the grade boundaries so u get higher UMS points?

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48794/GCE_Maths_Subject_Examiners_Report_Jun03.pdf

and went to p.50 to check out the grade boundaries for the June 2003 exams and noticed its 51/75 to get an A and thats only 68%!!! Is that a mistake or genuine? coz 68% is rather low, I thought they would limit it to mid-70% to get an A??
Reply 2
ResidentEvil
Anyone wanna bet what the difficulty of this paper would be? I reckon it'll either be very hard or fairly easy -> with no in betweens!!

I analysed the recent paper in January 2004, and the previous summer 2003 paper and noticed they are BOTH very difficult papers (even my friend who is excellent at maths only managed to get mid 80 marks for the Jan 2004 whereas usually he'd be in the 90s without a doubt)

Because Jan 2004 and June 2003 were so difficult, I have a feeling (and hoping) this years would probably not be too bad. But Edexcel are weird, so they'd probably decide to make this year very hard and then make the November 2004 ones really easy just to 'fit' in with the new upcoming "reduced content" easier Maths syllabus.

I reckon it's going to be IMPOSSIBLE!!! Last summer's one was AWFUL and the one in January was hard as well, but for edexcel it is the easiest its going to get. Plus if you look back through the years, P3 isn't exactly the easiest paper anyway.
Reply 3
ResidentEvil

well i did the jan 04 one and at the time i found it impossible but i still got 38% haha nyway, now i did it as a mock and got in my 70's
not as bad as i thought!
i hope the one on wednesday isnt too hard!
Reply 4
ResidentEvil
I have another question. If the paper is really hard do they lower the grade boundaries so u get higher UMS points?

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48794/GCE_Maths_Subject_Examiners_Report_Jun03.pdf

and went to p.50 to check out the grade boundaries for the June 2003 exams and noticed its 51/75 to get an A and thats only 68%!!! Is that a mistake or genuine? coz 68% is rather low, I thought they would limit it to mid-70% to get an A??

No - thats right - i got june 2003 fhor my mock and i got 68% and i was told that was an A because everyone who did it generally did really bad
i hate p3:frown:
Reply 6
tammypotato

Know how you feel!!! :frown:
Reply 7
tammypotato

try p5
if u think p3 is bad i swear you'l love it after youv dont p5
Reply 8
kriztinae
try p5

P5 is quite difficult, my teacher considers it to be the hardest module. However, it has the advantage of not having very much content, there are 4 chapters in edexcel, of which hyperbolics and differentiation are fairly simple. But, it is the integration and conics that you have to worry about!
tammypotato
kriztinae
try p5

lol no thanks:tongue:
Pixelfairy #1

to pixelfairy
lol get lost (nt in a mean way im joking) p3 is hard! :tongue:
P5 isn't that much more difficult than P3, sure you have some harder integrations and stuff but you also get the hyperbolic functions and the conics work which is really pretty simple.
queen-of-pain
P5 isn't that much more difficult than P3, sure you have some harder integrations and stuff but you also get the hyperbolic functions and the conics work which is really pretty simple.

All I can say is I hope you're right... I'm doing P4, P5, P6, D1, M2, M3 next year :rolleyes:
Reply 14
I thought Jan 2004 was easy. June 2003, however, was IMPOSSIBLE. I really hope we don't get one like that. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending