is it immoral for poor people to have lots of kids?

Watch
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

considering they will have a harder time in life? This is for the UK and the world.
minor bun engine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most definitely, and equally immoral to force the rest of society to fund their poor life decisions
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Immoral, no. Irresponsible? Possibly.
minor bun engine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
"Irresponsible" would cover poor decisions the parents make which don't affect others. Eg. choosing to drink to excess, eating unhealthily etc. Having countless kids which they cannot provide for is not merely irresponsible, it shows a profound lack of moral judgement.
Zander01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This.

I find very large families weird in general though. Plus there's already too many people on earth, we need a new plague.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by minor bun engine)
"Irresponsible" would cover poor decisions the parents make which don't affect others. Eg. choosing to drink to excess, eating unhealthily etc. Having countless kids which they cannot provide for is not merely irresponsible, it shows a profound lack of moral judgement.
Depends how you view morality, and how you view human functionality within that. If procreating is a moral choice, then perhaps that overrides any superficial financial problems one or two individuals may have. If you view society as coming before the individual, then you could make a dubious claim that it's immoral.
(Original post by Zander01)
This.
I find very large families weird in general though. Plus there's already too many people on earth, we need a new plague.
Scientific estimates put 100% sustainability at around 2 billion, I think a 'plague' wouldn't do enough, and either way it would be a tragedy.
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by minor bun engine)
Eh what? Drinking to excess and eating unhealthily would probably be just as immoral and damaging to their children.
Zander01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Scientific estimates put 100% sustainability at around 2 billion, I think a 'plague' wouldn't do enough, and either way it would be a tragedy.
It was a quote from the Office. I.e not serious
minor bun engine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Eh what? Drinking to excess and eating unhealthily would probably be just as immoral and damaging to their children.
If they didn't have children.
SiminaM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes. If you are aware that you can't provide for your family and you still have kids, you're a terrible person. Stupidity, irresponsability, whatever... I think it's immoral.
Spoiler:
Show
There are other immoral things as well like a bad lifestyle, addiction, lack of emotional support, etc but this is off topic.
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It was a quote from the Office. I.e not serious
Well that's what I get for not watching the Office beyond the first two episodes.
flamboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah kind of
Cannoning
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes 98% of the time. The exceptions are if the parents are incredible people who can give a child a brilliant upbringing without a lot of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cannoning)
Yes 98% of the time. The exceptions are if the parents are incredible people who can give a child a brilliant upbringing without a lot of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
true but how many of them do you know? Money is very important now.
Ragman75
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)

considering they will have a harder time in life? This is for the UK and the world.
100% if you cant afford or support a child you are **** for bringing them into the world
Danny the Geezer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
social mobility OP, social mobility.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by josh75)
100% if you cant afford or support a child you are **** for bringing them into the world
true
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danny the Geezer)
social mobility OP, social mobility.
not really i don't think it's reasonable to expect every poor child to reach the top. We would have to drop things like inheritance and private property rights and other distinct advantages handed down to well off kids.
le_darkhorse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what i can't get my head around is all these mid twnty something people having kids. It has become normal to have a child at 23 or 24. I think that's too early. Nothing wrong with waiting till abuot 30 or so or even 35 at a late stage.
Asurat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)

In poorer countries kids are economic assets though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
28.79%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.12%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
19.7%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.58%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
31.82%

Watched Threads