Unhappy with A level results. Unsure of what to do next...

Watch
melasaurus5
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I hope you received the grades you wanted in order to succeed onto further education.

I received my A-level results last Thursday;
B - WJEC Drama
C - WJEC English Language & Literature (combined)
D - WJEC Geography

+ (C in the Extended Project)

I'm not really happy with my results at all and I am really unsure of what to do next. I want to do English Literature and Drama Joint Honours at University next year (2016) so the initial plan was to take a Gap year; work, gain some experience from amateur theatre and creative writing etc. But seeing the results, I have considered other options...

I am going to have my English paper remarked as I am 1 UMS off a B. However, I fear it will go down or remain the same as I panicked a lot during that exam and came out in tears, and I know that the exam was not a true reflection of my knowledge and technique.

I am going into school next Thursday to discuss possibly resitting A2 English as I really need a B minimum in order to do my course at many universities.

At the same time I was wondering if I could fast track AS/A2 Media Studies in a year and if so, how difficult would it be?

Thanks
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Protagoras
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama has a new course for writers of drama.

http://www.cssd.ac.uk/course/drama-a...ng-performance

Have a look at their many courses, I think you could get in there if you have the will to.

Take a gap year with STA travel and go round the world! Really open your eyes!
angelcake123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do not do any of those subjects or examboards so my comment may be totally useless. I reckon you should remark English because the C is not likely to drop down to a D. Plus English is subjective, just pray that you have a good examiner.

For my economics, I was so so tired (I had 4AS exams in 3days, and econ was the 3rd exam). I did an essay subject the same morning and my hands were numb. So it didn't help that I found the econ exam hard. So during and after the exam I cried silently because I was sure I'd get an E or U. It also made it worse as everyone loved the exam so it meant high grade boundaries. But results came back and I was 2 off a B. Absolute miracle. You can get your miracle too by remarking the exam getting the B. Just pray and hope that it all goes fine

Sorry that I haven't been much help, I don't do media so I also can't comment on the difficulty of that. But if you could start thinking about retaking the unit that dropped your English grade to a C? I'm worried that it may drop your A2 grade too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Solent University, Southampton Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by melasaurus5)
Hi all,

I hope you received the grades you wanted in order to succeed onto further education.

I received my A-level results last Thursday;
B - WJEC Drama
C - WJEC English Language & Literature (combined)
D - WJEC Geography

+ (C in the Extended Project)

I'm not really happy with my results at all and I am really unsure of what to do next. I want to do English Literature and Drama Joint Honours at University next year (2016) so the initial plan was to take a Gap year; work, gain some experience from amateur theatre and creative writing etc. But seeing the results, I have considered other options...

I am going to have my English paper remarked as I am 1 UMS off a B. However, I fear it will go down or remain the same as I panicked a lot during that exam and came out in tears, and I know that the exam was not a true reflection of my knowledge and technique.

I am going into school next Thursday to discuss possibly resitting A2 English as I really need a B minimum in order to do my course at many universities.

At the same time I was wondering if I could fast track AS/A2 Media Studies in a year and if so, how difficult would it be?

Thanks
Hi there,
Congrats on the grades! I'd definitely get your English remarked, I took English Language at A2. I received a D and was 2 marks off of a C - I paid the money to get it remarked and it paid off. However, some of my friends who were one mark off a B, went down by a few marks but didn't drop a grade!

Media studies would be difficult to fast track in a year as you need to learn all the case studies - I found it hard enough learning the 3 different types of case studies (I chose film, video games and TV programs).

You always have options - I'd look into what exactly universities, that you really want to aim for are requiring and what your teachers feel that you will be predicted. If these match then you'll be fine but if not then explore whether gaining some experience will boost your application (some universities don't take experience into account unless you're over the age of 21 when you apply!)

Hope this helps.
- Kath
melasaurus5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Southampton Solent Uni Student Ambassador)
Media studies would be difficult to fast track in a year as you need to learn all the case studies - I found it hard enough learning the 3 different types of case studies (I chose film, video games and TV programs).
Thanks for your advice Kath,

Would fast tracking Media Studies be worth a shot? I mean, if I'm not redoing Drama or Geography then I would have more time to focus on the English (which I'll be going over notes etc in class at about 9 hours a fortnight) and possibly taking up the subject?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for your advice Kath,

Would fast tracking Media Studies be worth a shot? I mean, if I'm not redoing Drama or Geography then I would have more time to focus on the English (which I'll be going over notes etc in class at about 9 hours a fortnight) and possibly taking up the subject?
It's difficult to say - If you feel as though you can learn 24 case studies inside out then there's nothing stopping you!

You have nothing to lose!

- Kath .
melasaurus5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Southampton Solent Uni Student Ambassador)
It's difficult to say - If you feel as though you can learn 24 case studies inside out then there's nothing stopping you!

You have nothing to lose!

- Kath .
Woah, 24? Was this with the WJEC exam board, new spec 2009? I've researched and found that 50% of the a level is coursework based, and I'm normally good with that. But I'll ask my head of year anyway.

Thanks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Woah, 24? Was this with the WJEC exam board, new spec 2009? I've researched and found that 50% of the a level is coursework based, and I'm normally good with that. But I'll ask my head of year anyway.

Thanks
Well I remember being swamped with case studies!

Yeah the WJEC exam

I remember for A2 you have to learn 5/6 topic areas - but 3 extremely well. These topic areas come with 3 case studies in each topic area. In AS (was a long time ago now!) I believe that it was the same case study format but with 3/4 topic areas and you need to know 3 inside out as well as the areas inside those topics.

The questions in the exam will be based about the topics inside the case studies and therefore you have to make sure the case studies you know extremely well cover what is likely to come up in the exam.

(Sorry if this is confusing! I just followed the pattern of the previous 4 past papers as feminism came up every time!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed