This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I was wondering if extra A-Levels impress universities/give u an advantage etc. since i know people with like 7 and 8 A-Levels. Is this an advantage? and if it is, it it a considerable one?
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
nope, most of the top universities only require 3. oxbridge ob would like more. the most ive heard of is 5. but 7 or 8 is just rediculas. no point at all. 3 or 4 if your able will be plenty
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how can it be possible to do 7 a levels. ou wouldn't have a life
ƒlå®è®
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
many do evening classes just to increase knowledge i guess, but people who do them dont have to be neccesserly students.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I am not speaking nonsense. I actually know a guy with 8 (!) A-Levels
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
how old is this guy?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
More than 20 i guess. He's at Uni now. And guess what Uni, Oxford doing something medicine related.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
did he do them all at once and were some of them languages? Fair play to him getting all those qualifications but surely he must have lost out on a social life and having the time to have a job etc
ƒlå®è®
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well i cant add to that, i have just finished my gcse's about a month ago and still have'nt "experienced" the difficulty of A levels, however from what i heard people find it hard to juggle the normal 4 subjects because of the depth of detail in each. So this guy must be either a genius or can cope with the pressure.

I know a few people who are 30+ who do evening classes on A levels just to increase knowledge.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
I was wondering if extra A-Levels impress universities/give u an advantage etc. since i know people with like 7 and 8 A-Levels. Is this an advantage? and if it is, it it a considerable one?
No real point, other than to be able to say

"hah I have 7 (8) A-Levels which is more than you".

Universities may see it in the sense that you are committed, and prepared to learn new things maybe, but in no way would it give you a major advantage.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
universities like to see evidence of extra curricular activities. i cant see how u would have time to do these with 8 a levels
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Ollie
universities like to see evidence of extra cericular activities.
Not always.

I think doing 7 or 8 A Levels is just too much work. I mean, how can you manage (unless of course one or two of them are languages you're fluent in or something)? I do know someone that's gonna end up with 6 A Levels though and he doesn't need two of them for university.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I can see people's point about having a social life.

The best violinist in our school, was allowed to take 5 ASs. But he drop one after a month saying he couldn't cope. But with all his extra cericular (I'm copying Ollie spelling because I have no idea!) thing I agree.

This is what he does.

Monday - Jazz Band (Double Bass)
Tuesday - Sympony Orchester (Double Bass, I think)
Wednesday - Nothing I know of
Thursday - Ditto
Friday - I know he does something but what I don't know
Saturday - RCT Youth Orchester (Violin sometimes Double Bass mostly)
Sunday - Glam Orchester (Violin)

There are a lot more but I'm not his stalker so I wouldn't know.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But even though ^^^^

I'm considering 5 myself but I'm planning 1 A level per year by night as you do an A level in one year at college. And doing 3 through school.

A level Music, Business and French - school
A level Accounting and Maths - college
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i still can't undersatnd where he would have got the time to do all those subjects anyway. At my school the timetable only allows you to do a max of 5 subjects. Unless he was already fluent in other languages i can't see where he could have found the time to do 3 more subjects at evening classes. Doing 4 A2's took enough of my time this year. I don't think I could have physically done anymore.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
curricular * !
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thank you! i have corrected my post!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing 4 A-levels, which is more than most people in my school (3), as I'm fluent in French, and many oxbridge applicants do 4+. However, there's no point doing loads of A-Levels, and doing mediocre in them, it's best to do fewer, and do well in them.

Phil
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Expression
curricular * !
Thanks but I'm not change my post - I can't be bothered!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
God bless laziness

PHIL
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
33.92%
No (524)
66.08%

Watched Threads