The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Is BSc Psychology (hons) a good degree.

I am going to do a psychology degree as I really enjoyed the subject for A Level and after 2 years off I want to do it more than ever.

Does anyone have any experience through Open University and also do people think it would help me get a role working in a school as support staff. My long term goal is to become a teacher or educational psychologist.

Any advice appreciated. :-)
I am about to start my fourth year of a BSc (hons) Psychology with the open university. I will graduate summer 2017.

The degree is bps accredited and I've really enjoyed studying for it. To become a teaching assistant in a school you could complete a vocational course (ncfe level 3) which gives you a placement and usually leaves you qualified to be employed as a teaching assistant at the end of it. I don't think the degree would neccesarily help.

However to become an educational psychologist you'll need the psychology degree as well as a masters and phd.

I find the prospects website really helpful: www.prospects.ac.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks thats great. I've already got a level 3 award in supporting teaching and learning in schools by TQUK. I loved it but it hasn't got me very far. Work experience was awesome though.

I'm sooo desperate to start the degree now lol :-)
Reply 3
You don't necessarily need a Masters to get on the Educational Psychology PhD but many applicants will probably have one to increase their chances. Good work experience is likely to be extremely important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
How easy is it through Open Uni rachaelturner. Enrolled onto the Social Psychology module for October.

Nitebot I do plan on doing a masters to get onto the PHD for educational psychology only because i think it might make the phd slightly easier for me.

Thanks great feedback :-)
Reply 5
Original post by rachaelturner
I am about to start my fourth year of a BSc (hons) Psychology with the open university. I will graduate summer 2017.

The degree is bps accredited and I've really enjoyed studying for it. To become a teaching assistant in a school you could complete a vocational course (ncfe level 3) which gives you a placement and usually leaves you qualified to be employed as a teaching assistant at the end of it. I don't think the degree would neccesarily help.

However to become an educational psychologist you'll need the psychology degree as well as a masters and phd.

I find the prospects website really helpful: www.prospects.ac.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the degree really difficult or fairly easy going. I'm planning to do start the second module february thats all. :-)
I have found that I have improved wirh each module. Level 2 has more reading than level 1 and you're expected to write more critically in the essays and reports but it's not too hard imo. They give lots of support as you progress through the degree to make sure you acquire the skills you need. The exams are definitely getting harder but again I've still improved, I got a distinction in both my level 2 exams - in my level 1 exam I got 43 and just scraped a pass lol! Just read through the materials and try not to get behind and I think you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there specific modules to choose to ensure BPS accreditation? I have just enrolled for the Feb intake and was only allowed to choose the intro the social sciences I also want to do educational psychology so would have much preferred the childhood modules! I've taken on 60 credits but I'm hoping come October I can take on 120 to do me through the full acedemic year is that allowed?

Quick Reply