The Student Room Group

Don't know what AS to drop after results day ? Help!!

Hi everyone

So I was all set to drop English literature AS but then I got my Alevel results back ending up with :
English Lit - A
History - C :s-smilie: ( nearly a D)
Geography - A
Business - B ( but going to resit a paper as panicked in exam and think I can do better , also need A for uni requirements)

The history grade was a complete shock I have been working consistently hard all year and had never got below a B in past questions , papers and homework . Plus I came out of the exam reasonably confident with my answers. I have sent the worst history paper to be remarked as after requesting papers ,teacher thought I was way to harshly marked.

But my problem is that if the history grade doesn't go up then I am going to have to drop history and take English , bear in mind I have hated English all year , had problems with bad teachers and was effectively told I wasn't going to do very well/fail . Whereas I actually enjoy history and was really excited to take it on to year 13.

Everyone's telling me that I should drop history because it would be harder on me at A2 to move it to an A and that I should take English because I got an A , but to be honest I think it was a fluke and next years exam is closed book which I don't think I will be able to cope with.

My question is is it better to keep the subject I love History as I will be more inclined to work harder at it or take English because I have a higher grade in it ?
Reply 1
definitely keep up with history!!! honestly, taking english again is likely to make you miserable, especially if you hated it so much last year. a grade C is enough to take history at A2, so i'm not certain why you think you'll need to drop it if it doesn't go up. if you work hard at it, you may even be able to bump that up to an A at the end of A2!

don't do anything that you know is going to cause you more stress, your mental health is important!
My friend, in my opinion English Lit is not a subject that you can fluke, so if you've done well in it, it's because you deserved to.

Definitely resit business seeing as it's not too much hassle to revise for. Especially if you're planning to do it at uni, which it seems like you are from your post.

But at the end of the day, do the subjects that you will enjoy the most. You will be more motivated to do better next year in History, and I have no doubt that you could get an A/A*.

My sister got a D in AS Spanish, worked hard in her second year and acheived an A at A2. She's now going to a russell group uni to study Spanish... So yeah, just do what you want to do man :smile:
Original post by Hikachu
definitely keep up with history!!! honestly, taking english again is likely to make you miserable, especially if you hated it so much last year. a grade C is enough to take history at A2, so i'm not certain why you think you'll need to drop it if it doesn't go up. if you work hard at it, you may even be able to bump that up to an A at the end of A2!

don't do anything that you know is going to cause you more stress, your mental health is important!

My school requires you to have a B or above in a subject to continue it to A2 . But I think your right , I have never felt more stressed with a subject than with English at AS and I don't think I could put myself through it again . Thank you for your help !
Original post by Repsol
My friend, in my opinion English Lit is not a subject that you can fluke, so if you've done well in it, it's because you deserved to.

Definitely resit business seeing as it's not too much hassle to revise for. Especially if you're planning to do it at uni, which it seems like you are from your post.

But at the end of the day, do the subjects that you will enjoy the most. You will be more motivated to do better next year in History, and I have no doubt that you could get an A/A*.

My sister got a D in AS Spanish, worked hard in her second year and acheived an A at A2. She's now going to a russell group uni to study Spanish... So yeah, just do what you want to do man :smile:

I suppose fluke is the wrong word , I just feel like I didn't know my texts as well as I should have going into the exam and so relied heavily on the fact it was an open book . It also didn't help that one teacher told me that I was going to fail whilst the other said I was underestimating myself , so to me I felt like I was lucky with the grade I got !

Your right I'm more willing to put the work in for history . I just needed to have that confirmation that I'd be doing the right thing taking history despite the lower grade , because my parents and form teacher don't see why I would take it with the lower grade.

Thank you for your help / opinion :h:
UPDATE:

Just got my remark back the paper went up 4 marks and 10 ums so moved from right on a C to a B :smile: 🎉🎉🎉 thus my overall has also moved from a C to a B !!!

I am most likely going to continue history , although I'm going to talk to my teacher first as I'm not feeling entirely confident with it anymore ... Just to see if she thinks I would be able to cope with it at A2

Thank you everyone for your advice !!
Reply 6
well done on your remark, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending