Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have a few questions, Geog AQA A.

1) Why do rivers have a greater discharge in the lower course, (in relation to the processes of erosion and transportation)

2) Why do earthquakes sometimes occur in the same places as Volcanoes?

3) Kobe: how many deaths? Is it 1600, 2000 or 5000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamal1425)
    Hi I have a few questions, Geog AQA A.

1) Why do rivers have a greater discharge in the lower course, (in relation to the processes of erosion and transportation)
    Don't they have a greater discharge lower down as the river has drained more land by the time it hits the lower course? ie. The upper course river contains water from the top area, and the lower course river contains both.

2) Why do earthquakes sometimes occur in the same places as Volcanoes?
    Both caused by Plate Tectonics. Pressure building up between plates as they collide or slip past each other. This can build up a lot of pressure and create earthquakes as they slide by, or push magma up and out of volcanoes (on a simple scale).

I have no idea. I don't do that Case Study. But don't worry they won't knock you back too many for not knowing.
    But this site claims it to be 5100.

I hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    1) More tributaries have added to the discharge

ReputationRep:
    Well i went to give reps but it says I ve exceeded my limit, sent out too many reps in the last 24hrs, but i've only repped once yesterday!? wierd. Thanks for your help though.

ReputationRep:
    Well i went to give reps but it says I ve exceeded my limit, sent out too many reps in the last 24hrs, but i've only repped once yesterday!? wierd. Thanks for your help though.
    Yesterday you may have repped later in the day say 3pm, so you still arent allowed to rep again until then.

Remember us when you can.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was that 16000 people died, thousands were injured and many buildings had collapsed...

ReputationRep:
    1) Because tributaries join the river contributing to the amount of discharge

2) Because volcanoes and earthquakes both occur at constructive and destructive plate boundaries. At destructive plate boundaries the magma is being pushed up by the pressure of the subducting plate, and therefore volcanoes occur (violent volcanoes) but also a 'Benioff' zone is created by the pressure of the subducting plate which causes earthquakes. At Constructive boundaries magma is being pushed by the two plates moving apart as new land is being created, so that forms volcanoes, and also there are sometimes mild earthquakes by the two plates moving.

3) 5000 people died. 300,000 were homeless and 35,000 were injured.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.