The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Why do some girls post pictures in bras or topless on social media?

A bit of attention from the opposite sex is nice, don't get me wrong. But why bra and pantie shots or pics holding the boobs? Or pictures of them kissing other girls when they are not even lesbian/bi? Why stoop so low to get attention?

I'm female myself and I think it's sad that this is getting so common. Feminists go on about men degrading us but we are doing a pretty good job ourselves. No men are forcing us to do that to ourselves.

I would rather a man value my facial beauty, classy dress sense, intelligence, creativity etc. There's not much value in posting half naked or more shots.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Actually real feminists would say there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, if a woman chooses to do this for male attention or otherwise that's her choice to make and shouldn't be judged.

The real question is, why do you care? You don't agree with it, don't do it. But your opinion doesn't mean women should stop doing it if they enjoy it. There is no problem here.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

I would rather a man value my facial beauty, classy dress sense, intelligence, creativity etc. There's not much value in posting half naked or more shots.

didn't you just say men aren't forcing us to do this? maybe they're doing it for themselves, because they're cute and like attention. Chill. you'll find a man as equally judgemental and pretentious as you are.
Reply 3
Original post by AvaAdore
Actually real feminists would say there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, if a woman chooses to do this for male attention or otherwise that's her choice to make and shouldn't be judged.

The real question is, why do you care? You don't agree with it, don't do it. But your opinion doesn't mean women should stop doing it if they enjoy it. There is no problem here.

Yes indeed her body her choice. But feminists don't say that men go around objectifying women?

But why do they enjoy it exactly? Don't you think it is a huge red flag of low self esteem and desperation?
Reply 4
Yes indeed her body her choice. But feminists don't say that men go around objectifying women?

But why do they enjoy it exactly? Don't you think it is a huge red flag of low self esteem and desperation?

So what if it is for some girls? Who cares? She can do it for whatever reason she wants.

Feminists don't say all men objectify them either. And a man liking the way a woman looks isn't automatically objectifying her. Get over yourself! Feminists would say women should've able to do this without being shame for it, like you are doing now. The answer to objectification is not putting yourself in situations where you feel you can never be objectified..
Reply 5
Original post by Eanzi
didn't you just say men aren't forcing us to do this? maybe they're doing it for themselves, because they're cute and like attention. Chill. you'll find a man as equally judgemental and pretentious as you are.

I said men aren't forcing them to do it, but not that they are not doing it for men. Meaning they are objectifying and sexualising themselves voluntarily, men are not doing it for them.

It's not judgemental and pretentious for a guy to prefer a woman not to splash all her goodies across facebook and instagram for the world to see, doesn't respect herself and her body and takes no responsibility for her actions. It's called having standards.
Reply 6

this isn't objectifying. you can't objectify yourself...

also, no. they just enjoy attention. everybody enjoys attention; they just get it through different ways. if you're proud of your body, there's nothing wrong with showing it off.
Reply 7
Original post by Eanzi
this isn't objectifying. you can't objectify yourself...

also, no. they just enjoy attention. everybody enjoys attention; they just get it through different ways. if you're proud of your body, there's nothing wrong with showing it off.

Taking a picture of myself in a bra and panties and putting it on social media would be the opposite of bring proud and would be drastic attentions seeking and need for affirmation.
Reply 8
A bit of attention from the opposite sex is nice, don't get me wrong. But why bra and pantie shots or pics holding the boobs? Or pictures of them kissing other girls when they are not even lesbian/bi? Why stoop so low to get attention?

I'm female myself and I think it's sad that this is getting so common. Feminists go on about men degrading us but we are doing a pretty good job ourselves. No men are forcing us to do that to ourselves.

It's not that common.
Reply 9
I said men aren't forcing them to do it, but not that they are not doing it for men. Meaning they are objectifying and sexualising themselves voluntarily, men are not doing it for them.

It's not judgemental and pretentious for a guy to prefer a woman not to splash all her goodies across facebook and instagram for the world to see, doesn't respect herself and her body and takes no responsibility for her actions. It's called having standards.

No it's not. It's lowering women by judging them on what they think a woman 'should' be and thinking less of her because of something she chooses to do. Just because they might prefer a woman not to do that doesn't mean they get to judge or decide what she does is shameful.

And again, if a woman does it for the attention of a man and wants to be objectified - who cares? That's her choice!

No one is making you do it so stop whining and quit being so judgemental. Go find a man who appreciates you not doing that and accept the world is full of different people.
Original post by Josb
It's not that common.

I agree, I have a very large social circle and know no women who do this. And trust me as an ex addict I know some wild ones!
Reply 11
Taking a picture of myself in a bra and panties and putting it on social media would be the opposite of bring proud and would be drastic attentions seeking and need for affirmation.

Attention seeking is not incongruent with pride, silly!
So what if it is for some girls? Who cares? She can do it for whatever reason she wants.

Feminists don't say all men objectify them either. And a man liking the way a woman looks isn't automatically objectifying her. Get over yourself! Feminists would say women should've able to do this without being shame for it, like you are doing now. The answer to objectification is not putting yourself in situations where you feel you can never be objectified..

At what point did I day a man simply liking the way a woman looks is objectifying? The fact remains that both the naked female and the male body are sexual and if you post it for the world to see you can't expect everyone to have a completely neutral reaction to it and to have 0 judgement - that is a bit too romantic of an ideal. Yes people can do what they want but they must face the consequences, which in this case is being judged for having low self esteem, need for attention an validation, a lack of self respect, no morals, bad parenting etc.
Pulling their kiwis out for show to get male attention is their choice.
At what point did I day a man simply liking the way a woman looks is objectifying? The fact remains that both the naked female and the male body are sexual and if you post it for the world to see you can't expect everyone to have a completely neutral reaction to it and to have 0 judgement - that is a bit too romantic of an ideal. Yes people can do what they want but they must face the consequences, which in this case is being judged for having low self esteem, need for attention an validation, a lack of self respect, no morals, bad parenting etc.

You're missing the point. Whether they get objectified or not or the reasons why they post it doesn't give you the right to judge them for that choice. So what if they get objectified it is their choice to do this just like its your choice not to. There isn't one standard of how a woman 'should' behave.
Reply 15
x

To milk out as much likes/favourites she can get, its pretty obvious.
The more RTs/Likes your have, the more important/better you are. That's the way the world works. :rolleyes:
You're missing the point. Whether they get objectified or not or the reasons why they post it doesn't give you the right to judge them for that choice. So what if they get objectified it is their choice to do this just like its your choice not to. There isn't one standard of how a woman 'should' behave.

The OP absolutely has the right to pass judgement on someone for exposing themselves like that.

Some people will see the photo, make a judgement and decide that they like the photo. Others will decide that they don't like it, for whatever reason. The OP may decide that, in her eyes, it suggests some kind of need for approval. All of these responses to the photo are passive; we don't choose how a photo makes us feel. And for that reason, each response is an equally valid one.

The woman who posts the photo is completely entitled to do so. But to suggest that nobody should be allowed to pass a judgement regarding that decision is just silly. When you put a photograph into a public domain, you have to accept that people are going to judge you for it in some way, be it a positive or negative judgement.

It's called being an adult and accepting that people have opinions about things.
(edited 8 years ago)
ugh. lost me at "feminists"

but to answer outside of that they do it for attention? :colonhash:

I hate seeing girls on FB and IG with nothing but

:kiss: photos

and bewbs. I mean it's nice but I'll never hit you up. Especially when it's some 15 yr old who's gassed that she finally got kissed. Or when she's a grown woman and still finding the need to be overtly sexy whilst holding her baby in frame, ugh.
Original post by Repsol
The OP absolutely has the right to pass judgement on someone for exposing themselves like that.

Some people will see the photo, make a judgement and decide that they like the photo. Others will decide that they don't like it, for whatever reason. The OP may decide that, in her eyes, it suggests some kind of need for approval. All of these responses to the photo are passive; we don't choose how a photo makes us feel. And for that reason, each response is an equally valid one.

The woman who posts the photo is completely entitled to do so. But to suggest that nobody should be allowed to pass a judgement regarding that decision is just silly. When you put a photograph into a public domain, you have to accept that people are going to judge you for it in some way, be it a positive or negative judgement.

It's called being an adult and accepting that people have opinions about things.

Um just no :smile: you can think doing something isn't a good thing to do but actively shaming people for it and saying it's wrong, nah you don't have any right to do that - doing that just makes you a judgemental *******. So it she wants to be a judgemental ******* then sure!

This is foolish line of debate. By this measure I should simply accept the views of racists and bigots because hey, being an adult means accepting different opinions right? Stop being an idiot. Intolerance isn't cool, and this is just downright anti-woman and no amount of you putting things in italics and playing with the literal definition of the word 'right' is gonna change that.

Latest