The Student Room Group

6th forms in London

Hey guys....
I'm applying to 6th forms for next september (2016) - together with a friend from a different school. We're both pretty academic and are taking 10 GCSEs.
She doesn't know her predicted grades but I'm predicted 9 A*/a and 1 A/b (as well as Add maths - which I'll probably fail....)
Anyway.... We currently have on our list:
NLCS
Habs
HB (which I'm not sure about....)
City girls
St Paul's (Which we know we won't get into...)
Channing
South Hampstead (which my mum doesn't like...)
G+L
I also had St Margret's down and St Helen's - but they're both a bit too far.
Anyone have an opinions on these schools? Or other schools....?
(And if you're considering applying to any of these schools say....!)
Yes the schools are all private (apart from HB) but that's because my school does pretty well at A levels and we're only applying to schools that do better than my current one.
Also we're applying for bursaries..... so if anyone has any information?
Thanks guys,
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Hey guys....
I'm applying to 6th forms for next september (2016) - together with a friend from a different school. We're both pretty academic and are taking 10 GCSEs.
She doesn't know her predicted grades but I'm predicted 9 A*/a and 1 A/b (as well as Add maths - which I'll probably fail....)
NLCS
Habs
City girls
Channing
G+L
Yes the schools are all private (apart from HB) but that's because my school does pretty well at A levels and we're only applying to schools that do better than my current one.
Thanks guys,

Why doesn't your mum like south hampstead?
Original post by crazy67556
Why doesn't your mum like south hampstead?

My mum thinks South Hampstead isn't as academic. She also knows a few girls who go there and she doesn't like them... but I think that's kind of judgemental in a way...
Why?
Bump....
Bump....

Where did you end up going?
Tbh i'd say south hampstead is more academic than some of the others on your list, so don't really know where your mum is coming from!
But I know a couple girls there and they aren't the nicest - alot of spoilt rich girs :wink:
Original post by koala789
Where did you end up going?
Tbh i'd say south hampstead is more academic than some of the others on your list, so don't really know where your mum is coming from!
But I know a couple girls there and they aren't the nicest - alot of spoilt rich girs :wink:

(My original post seems kinda cringy reading it now!)
I go to King's Maths School which is a state school (and I think does better than a couple of those schools)
I ended up applying to Habs, SPGS and NLCS and I got a place at NLCS but didn't go due to financial reasons.
I remember when I visited one of the schools (Not South Hampstead, but I won't mention which :s-smilie:), my first impression was that it was a school for "rich" kids, and it didn't seem all that academic, which was the main thing I was looking for!
I guess my mum had just heard some not "great" things and we know a girl a couple of years below who got in and was pretty average in my not very great primary school.
Reply 6
Hey guys....
NLCS
Habs
City girls
Channing
G+L
Thanks guys,

Forest, caterham and Highgate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Eehaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loool just realised this is over- sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eehaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

My post was from about a year and a half ago! So I'm in Year 12 now at a good school, but thanks for the suggestions even if they won't be so relevant for me! :u:
Reply 9
My post was from about a year and a half ago! So I'm in Year 12 now at a good school, but thanks for the suggestions even if they won't be so relevant for me! :u:

Good luck with year 12! Knuckle down and smash those AS's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eehaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'll try!
Original post by Eehaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't Highgate not that good though? Swear they just add £5,000 ontop of the normal private school fees and pretend that makes them better.
Am I being too critical? lol
(My original post seems kinda cringy reading it now!)
I go to King's Maths School which is a state school (and I think does better than a couple of those schools)
I ended up applying to Habs, SPGS and NLCS and I got a place at NLCS but didn't go due to financial reasons.
I remember when I visited one of the schools (Not South Hampstead, but I won't mention which :s-smilie:), my first impression was that it was a school for "rich" kids, and it didn't seem all that academic, which was the main thing I was looking for!
I guess my mum had just heard some not "great" things and we know a girl a couple of years below who got in and was pretty average in my not very great primary school.

Ohh, interesting. You must be smart getting into NLCS, I was going to apply there and Westminster but then decided to continue at my own for 6th form.
Good luck! What are you planning on studying at uni?
Reply 13
Isn't Highgate not that good though? Swear they just add £5,000 ontop of the normal private school fees and pretend that makes them better.
Am I being too critical? lol

Idk I don't go there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh, interesting. You must be smart getting into NLCS, I was going to apply there and Westminster but then decided to continue at my own for 6th form.
Good luck! What are you planning on studying at uni?

I have no idea! Maybe Maths, maybe Physics maybe both, maybe something completely different....
You?
Not really... I've never been "top of my class" or anything, and I don't work as hard as I probably could - I'm just fairly passionate about the subjects I do.
I have no idea! Maybe Maths, maybe Physics maybe both, maybe something completely different....
You?
Not really... I've never been "top of my class" or anything, and I don't work as hard as I probably could - I'm just fairly passionate about the subjects I do.

That's great though because it means you can do well and enjoy it!
I'm considering physics too - could go down the astrophysics or engineering route... but at the same time I'm torn because I'd also love to study history :/
I'm doing quite the random set of A-levels (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History)
That's great though because it means you can do well and enjoy it!
I'm considering physics too - could go down the astrophysics or engineering route... but at the same time I'm torn because I'd also love to study history :/
I'm doing quite the random set of A-levels (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History)

Only History is "random" - but it seems like a good set of choices!
How are you finding them?
Original post by Eehaj

Posted from TSR Mobile

The AS's that still exist, at least

Quick Reply

Latest