Mathematics Courses at Durham University 2015-2016 (Year 1)

Watch
Poll: Which Mathematics module are you most looking forward too?
Discrete Mathematics (1)
7.14%
Programming and Dynamics (0)
0%
Analysis (5)
35.71%
Calculus and Probability (3)
21.43%
Linear Algebra (4)
28.57%
Statistics (0)
0%
Maths for Engineers and Scientists (0)
0%
Single Mathematics A (1)
7.14%
Single Mathematics B (0)
0%
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This is the thread for all students who are going to study one or modules from the Mathematics department at Durham in 2015-2016.
Spoiler:
Show
  • What Grades did you achieve?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Dalek1099 A*-Maths,Further Maths and Additional Further Maths A-Physics(remarking) STEP I-III(1,3,3)
  • What College will you be going to?
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Collingwood-Dalek1099
    • Grey
    • Hatfield
    • John Snow
    • Josephine Butler
    • St Aidan's
    • St Chad's
    • St Cuthbert's
    • St Hild and St Bede
    • St Johns
    • St Mary's
    • Stephenson
    • Trevlayan
    • University
    • Ustinov
    • Van Mildert

• Where are you from?How long will it take to arrive?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Sunderland-Dalek1099(approx 50 mins by bus to Durham+time to walk to college)
    • Newcastle/Tyneside/Gateshead
    • Durham
    • Rest of North East
    • Rest of England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Northern Ireland
    • Rest of Europe
    • Asia
    • Africa
    • North America
    • South America
    • Oceania
    • Other
  • What modules will you be taking?
    (I will update this at a much later date as most people won't know at the moment-I haven't made my mind up yet, the list below lists all the modules that most students who are doing Mathematics will probably do that are worth considering(except Maths modules that they are not allowed to do).Although, those only doing a small number of modules in Mathematics will probably find their main modules not in this list.Some modules are compulsory for Mathematics students and those are listed in brackets.
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Calculus and Probability(compulsory for Mathematics students)-Dalek1099,coyoteboogie,onimusha370
    • Linear Algebra(compulsory for Mathematics students)-Dalek1099,coyoteboogie,onimusha370
    • Analysis(compulsory for Mathematics students)-Dalek1099,coyoteboogie,onimusha370
    • Programming and Dynamics(compulsory for Mathematics students)-
      Dalek1099,coyoteboogie,onimusha370
    • Statistics
    • Discrete Mathematics
    • Single Mathematics A(not allowed for Mathematicians)-vekril
    • Single Mathematics B(not allowed for Mathematicians)-vekril
    • Introduction to Astronomy
    • Foundations of Physics-Dalek1099
    • Discovery Skills in Physics
    • Maths Toolkit for Scientists(not allowed for Mathematicians)
    • Mathematics for Computer Science
    • Computational Thinking
    • Introduction to Programming
    • Core Chemistry 1A
    • Core Chemistry 1B
    • Scientific Skills For Biosciences
    • Principle of Economics
    • Economics Methods
    • The World Economy
    • Introduction to Logic
    • Introduction to the History and Philosophy of Science
    • Other

• Why did you choose Durham University?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Dalek1099-"I chose Durham as my Insurance as it has a Collegiate system and Catered Accommodation much like Cambridge; this is very important as I know from my Cambridge Summer/Easter Schools that dining with students makes it a lot easier to make new friends and I didn’t do that well at my cooking lessons at school.
      Also, Durham University is highly ranked in the League Tables for Mathematics and is reasonably close to home-I only need to get a 50 minute bus ride to get home from Durham and many of my friends have chose this University as their firm choice.
      This gives the University an advantage over Cambridge, so although I didn't get into my Firm University at least I will be close to home and be able to see my College friends regularly."

• How will you cope financially with the expensive rents?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Max Grant +Loan +Durham Grant - Dalek1099
    • some Grant+Loan+Parents/relatives/friends
    • some Grant+Loan+Part Time Job
    • no Grant+Loan +Parents/relatives/friends
    • no Grant+Loan+Part Time Job
    • Self Catered College +Other Funds from Grant/Loan/Parents
    • Other

• What area of Mathematics are you most interested in?
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Calculus and Analysis - Dalek1099
    • Dynamics
    • Statistics
    • Algebra
    • Discrete
    • Programming
    • Mechanics
    • Maths for Physics
    • Probability
    • Geometry
    • Maths for Chemistry
    • Maths for Computer Science
    • Maths for Economics
    • Other

• What preparation will you be doing before University?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Dalek1099-I will complete the Durham Workbook alongside the Workbook Emmanuel College Cambridge gave me in preparation for the test in Induction Week(Mathematicians only).Natural Scientists will have to do the test before Induction online.I have also started a Python course on Codeacademy which will be preparation for the Programming and Dynamics module.
  • What course will you be studying?
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Mathematics(Mmath)
    • Mathematics(Bsc)
    • Physics(MPhys)
    • Physics(Bsc)
    • Theoretical Physics(MPhys)
    • Physics and Astronomy(MPhys)
    • Natural Sciences(Msci)
    • Natural Sciences(Bsc)
    • Chemistry(MChem)
    • Chemistry(Bsc)
    • Economics(BA)
    • Computer Science(Bsc)
    • Computer Science(MEng)
    • Other

• What societies/events may/will you be interested in going to/attending?
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Maths
    • Sports-Dalek1099(Badminton,Darts)
    • Debates-Dalek1099
    • Sci-Fi-Dalek1099
    • Other

• What Maths modules/exams have you done?
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Core-Dalek1099(1-4)
    • Further Pure-Dalek1099(1-3)
    • Statistics-Dalek1099(1-4)
    • Mechanics-Dalek1099(1-5)
    • Decision-Dalek1099(1-2)
    • Other MEI Modules

• Was Durham your Firm or Insurance?
    Spoiler:
    Show

• Firm-
    • Insurance-Dalek1099

QuantumOverlord
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Might want to remove the last three, they aren't for mathmos.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by QuantumOverlord)
Might want to remove the last three, they aren't for mathmos.
They are classed as Mathematics modules though mainly studied by those doing Physics I am forced to put them on there to increase the amount of people coming to this thread, as not many people on TSR are going to Durham nevermind Durham for Maths so increasing it to the amount of people studying Maths modules should increase the popularity of this thread.I also want to find out what maths people are doing from science courses and I believe there is a lot of crossover between those modules and the ones the Mathmos do but they do the harder Maths I think so people will be able to help each other whether they are doing Maths,Physics or another subject.
cerlohee
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey I'll be studying maths as a part of Natural Sciences. Will be great to be able to get help here from people who can actually do maths haha.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by cerlohee)
Hey I'll be studying maths as a part of Natural Sciences. Will be great to be able to get help here from people who can actually do maths haha.
What Maths modules are you planning on doing?(please vote on the poll also)What other modules will you be taking?I may be doing Foundations of Physics for my optional module if I do then the course I would be taking would potentially be identical to someone doing Natural Science(Maths and Physics) but doing Maths will give me the freedom to do some more Maths instead like Statistics but probably not Discrete as it doesn't look great.

The problem I have is I want to do Statistics and Foundations of Physics but that would be too many credits so it would have to be Statistics and Astronomy or Foundation of Physics and I am not sure which one to pick, I really need to see the past papers for all the courses before I decide I may even decide to do Discrete to do all Maths but I have to do more coursework which is putting me off and it doesn't sound exciting.
onimusha370
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
pro tip: doesn't matter how much work you do for your dynamics exam, you still won't be able to do any of the questions
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by onimusha370)
pro tip: doesn't matter how much work you do for your dynamics exam, you still won't be able to do any of the questions
Is the Dynamics that bad?What is the Programming like as I haven't done much of that?I'm really worried about the compulsory computer work for the module and I thought Dynamics looked alright.What mark did you get for the whole unit?What optional units did you study and why?
QuantumOverlord
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dalek1099)
What Maths modules are you planning on doing?(please vote on the poll also)What other modules will you be taking?I may be doing Foundations of Physics for my optional module if I do then the course I would be taking would potentially be identical to someone doing Natural Science(Maths and Physics) but doing Maths will give me the freedom to do some more Maths instead like Statistics but probably not Discrete as it doesn't look great.

The problem I have is I want to do Statistics and Foundations of Physics but that would be too many credits so it would have to be Statistics and Astronomy or Foundation of Physics and I am not sure which one to pick, I really need to see the past papers for all the courses before I decide I may even decide to do Discrete to do all Maths but I have to do more coursework which is putting me off and it doesn't sound exciting.
if you have any questions on Calculus/Prob, Lin Alg, or Foundation 1 I will be happy to answer.

Also I think you are a little optimistic trying to do past papers before you have even started the course!
Dalek1099
Rep:
if you have any questions on Calculus/Prob, Lin Alg, or Foundation 1 I will be happy to answer.

Also I think you are a little optimistic trying to do past papers before you have even started the course!
I am not trying to do past papers I need the past papers to show me what the course is like I need to know how mathematical these units are and how tough the mathematics is.How mathematical is Foundation 1?
QuantumOverlord
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I am not trying to do past papers I need the past papers to show me what the course is like I need to know how mathematical these units are and how tough the mathematics is.How mathematical is Foundation 1?
You can find past papers in the library tab on DUO.

Obviously a physics module is going to be mathematical, the biggest thing you will notice is that basically every part of the course makes full use of calculus (in A level you would have go through your entire physics course without seeing a single integral) however do not expect the mathematical rigour that you will get in the maths modules. Physics is hard, not because of the maths, but because of knowing how to approach/ setup a problem.
Dalek1099
Rep:
You can find past papers in the library tab on DUO.

Obviously a physics module is going to be mathematical, the biggest thing you will notice is that basically every part of the course makes full use of calculus (in A level you would have go through your entire physics course without seeing a single integral) however do not expect the mathematical rigour that you will get in the maths modules. Physics is hard, not because of the maths, but because of knowing how to approach/ setup a problem.
Would it be a good module for a Mathematician, as Statistics seems to repeat a lot of Probability from Calculus and Probability/A Level(I did S1-S4) and seems too basic and discrete looks very boring and horrible and you have to do a presentation.I could do Statistics and Astronomy but I am thinking of Foundations of Physics.
QuantumOverlord
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Would it be a good module for a Mathematician, as Statistics seems to repeat a lot of Probability from Calculus and Probability/A Level(I did S1-S4) and seems too basic and discrete looks very boring and horrible and you have to do a presentation.I could do Statistics and Astronomy but I am thinking of Foundations of Physics.
I really can't tell you anything about statistics or astronomy, I can tell you about foundations. One major plus of doing foundations is that in theory you have a chance of transferring to do physics on the off chance you want to.
onimusha370
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Is the Dynamics that bad?What is the Programming like as I haven't done much of that?I'm really worried about the compulsory computer work for the module and I thought Dynamics looked alright.What mark did you get for the whole unit?What optional units did you study and why?
Course is alright, exam is hard.
Didn't do programming, they only started doing that last year...
Got low 70's in dynamics. Did discrete and stats as optionals, stats was easy, discrete was hard.
Having your notes in the stats exam helps quite a lot...
Dalek1099
Rep:
I really can't tell you anything about statistics or astronomy, I can tell you about foundations. One major plus of doing foundations is that in theory you have a chance of transferring to do physics on the off chance you want to.
I think you have to do Discovery Skills to do that I think?but I would be able to transfer to Maths with Physics.I don't really think I would would want to transfer to 100% Physics after the first year anyway as you would miss out on the best Maths modules what is attractive about Physics in the first year(if I decided to change course) is that they do the main Maths modules if you choose Analysis as your last module and still do Physics.I am not sure at the moment whether it could be worth switching from Maths to Maths with Physics/Physics to do Discovery Skills instead of Programming and Dynamics.
Phi Deaux
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Which module do people think is the most difficult maths module?
TunaTunnel
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Pretty sure the Astronomy module is well received. Almost all the physics lecturers are astro based and Durham's leading for astrophysics. All the lectures/lecturers I've had in any astro modules have been pretty amazing (and been my favorite modules).
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by TunaTunnel)
Pretty sure the Astronomy module is well received. Almost all the physics lecturers are astro based and Durham's leading for astrophysics. All the lectures/lecturers I've had in any astro modules have been pretty amazing (and been my favorite modules).
I have chosen Foundations of Physics(I need it to be approved during Induction week).I thought Astronomy looked very good but I didn't want to do either Statistics or Discrete and didn't want to do any other 20 credit module and if you don't do Foundations then you won't be able to do any Physics after Year 1 but doing it leaves me open to the option of switching to Maths and Physics(as part of Natural Science)/Maths and Physics modules in Natural Science.

Also, I think Foundations of Physics is much more mathematical than Astronomy as indicated by the requirements of the module(only an AS in Maths is needed for Astronomy I think).Foundations will crossover well with Programming and Dynamics and prepare me better for Mathematical Physics options in later years(those modules look to be the most appealing to me).
TunaTunnel
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I have chosen Foundations of Physics(I need it to be approved during Induction week).I thought Astronomy looked very good but I didn't want to do either Statistics or Discrete and didn't want to do any other 20 credit module and if you don't do Foundations then you won't be able to do any Physics after Year 1 but doing it leaves me open to the option of switching to Maths and Physics(as part of Natural Science)/Maths and Physics modules in Natural Science.

Also, I think Foundations of Physics is much more mathematical than Astronomy as indicated by the requirements of the module(only an AS in Maths is needed for Astronomy I think).Foundations will crossover well with Programming and Dynamics and prepare me better for Mathematical Physics options in later years(those modules look to be the most appealing to me).
Sounds about right. I would warn you, Foundations has A LOT of content. Afaik its a merged module so you have a double exam. When I sat it I had 2x 3 hour exams, you will have a 4 hours exam with half an hour break.
Dalek1099
Rep:
(Original post by TunaTunnel)
Sounds about right. I would warn you, Foundations has A LOT of content. Afaik its a merged module so you have a double exam. When I sat it I had 2x 3 hour exams, you will have a 4 hours exam with half an hour break.
Yes it is a double module so other people would take 2 other modules so its not that bad and there is crossover between Foundations of Physics and Programming and Dynamics.I didn't know about a 4 hour exam it says on the website that its 2x3 hour exams and that they are changing the 2nd paper this year.I would prefer 1 4 hour exam to 2x3 hour exams it means 2 hours less of examination.Do you know anything about Quantum Info(apparently its a Level 3 module but I can't find any information on it to know whether to consider taking it in Year 3).
TunaTunnel
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yes it is a double module so other people would take 2 other modules so its not that bad and there is crossover between Foundations of Physics and Programming and Dynamics.I didn't know about a 4 hour exam it says on the website that its 2x3 hour exams and that they are changing the 2nd paper this year.I would prefer 1 4 hour exam to 2x3 hour exams it means 2 hours less of examination.Do you know anything about Quantum Info(apparently its a Level 3 module but I can't find any information on it to know whether to consider taking it in Year 3).
Quantum info? The 3rd year physics modules are 3A and theoretical physics 3. The closest thing you describe is atoms, qubits and lasers which has elements of quantum computing but thats a masters year module (i'm taking).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.37%
Okay (64)
29.77%
A bit lacking (81)
37.67%
Not good at all (52)
24.19%

Watched Threads