The Student Room Group

Applying For Student Accommodation Late

Hey,
Within the last week I applied for student accommodation, I know it's very late and hopefully I get a place to live in time but if I do I'm wondering how I would change my student loan to cover my accommodation costs? Would I just ring student finance up and ask them to add on the money? Initially I was going to travel from home to uni but realised to get the full experience I might aswell live there!!
Thanks ☺️
Hi,

If you originally told us that you'll be living from home you can change this through the website. Go to the section where you can change your address and then indicate that you will be living away from the parental home. This will get you a higher rate of funding, however, I should say that we don't base your award on what your costs are. So we won't take into account how much you're paying in rent when awarding funding.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Thankyou, I have spoken to student finance this afternoon and asked them if my change of term address had gone through and they said yes and that my mantinence loan should cover the rent of my uni! I'm just wondering would the mantinence loan then be automatically paid to my university by student finance?
Thanks for your help.
Hi,

No, we'll pay the maintenance loan directly to yourself. You can then use it to pay your accommodation.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Ohh I see Thankyou! So I just have to give my account details to the university I'm going to and they'll take the money out! When will my university ask for my account details so I can pay the rent?
Thank you
Hi,

You would need to contact the university to check any details regarding your accommodation as we simply pay the money to you, it is up to you to organize paying it towards your accommodation.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending