The Student Room Group

Lenovo Thinkpad a Good Choice? Suggestions?

So I've been researching laptops for uni for the past month or so, and I've been undecided throughout the entire time. I recently stumbled upon the Lenovo Thinkpad E550, and with a few tweaks, I think I may have found something that seems adequate. However I am entirely open to suggestions.

Firstly, I am starting uni this year to read Computer Science, so performance is the most important factor to me, something that has enough power to say, run Visual Studio whilst things like Chrome and Spotify are open.

Budget: ~£600 (Maybe slightly over)
Processor: i5 and Upwards is preferable. 2ghz+
Ram: 8gb DDR3
GPU: Not entirely fussed on this, the machine won't be used as a gaming rig so integrated graphics are just fine
Storage: 500gb+ HDD is just fine.
Display: This is something I'm rather nitpickey about. With laptops TN panels are a huge turn off, and I guess that is my only issue with the Thinkpad (Aside from some of the unnecessary ports). An IPS display would be ideal, but with the current budget I've placed on myself it's hard to find anything that seems decent.

Attached is the current spec for the Thinkpad that I was considering, if there are any suggestions I would love to hear them. And if the Thinkpad is a bad choice in general, then again, entirely open to new suggestions. I'm not familiar with laptops (I have a gaming desktop that I unfortunately will be leaving at home when I go to uni) so something that compensates for that in some way would be excellent (Not necessarily in the gaming department).

Many thanks,
Original post by LividLion
So I've been researching laptops for uni for the past month or so, and I've been undecided throughout the entire time. I recently stumbled upon the Lenovo Thinkpad E550, and with a few tweaks, I think I may have found something that seems adequate. However I am entirely open to suggestions.

Firstly, I am starting uni this year to read Computer Science, so performance is the most important factor to me, something that has enough power to say, run Visual Studio whilst things like Chrome and Spotify are open.

Budget: ~£600 (Maybe slightly over)
Processor: i5 and Upwards is preferable. 2ghz+
Ram: 8gb DDR3
GPU: Not entirely fussed on this, the machine won't be used as a gaming rig so integrated graphics are just fine
Storage: 500gb+ HDD is just fine.
Display: This is something I'm rather nitpickey about. With laptops TN panels are a huge turn off, and I guess that is my only issue with the Thinkpad (Aside from some of the unnecessary ports). An IPS display would be ideal, but with the current budget I've placed on myself it's hard to find anything that seems decent.

Attached is the current spec for the Thinkpad that I was considering, if there are any suggestions I would love to hear them. And if the Thinkpad is a bad choice in general, then again, entirely open to new suggestions. I'm not familiar with laptops (I have a gaming desktop that I unfortunately will be leaving at home when I go to uni) so something that compensates for that in some way would be excellent (Not necessarily in the gaming department).

Many thanks,

Be aware that some i7's are dual cores, should you go that way.

Everything else seems fine, though you may want more storage.
Another thing is that these are heavy laptops, but very reliable and sturdy.
Check out saveonlaptops

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending