The Student Room Group

A2 choices affected by AS results

So when i got my CIE AS results i achieved a's in english language and AICT (i'm the only one who got a grades in these subjects from my centre) and B's in math and chemistry
The B in math is depressing because I really love math and used to think that if there's a subject I would get an A in, it would definitely be math but i screwed up in my stats paper (i think i dropped like 15 marks). This B in math is not because i didn't work hard enough or practised enough past papers but because i tend to make lots of silly mistakes during the exam, which brings me to my next point.
I have to achieve at least A*AA in order to get into oxford , i know about TSA for psychology and all but for now i wanna know which sub to drop for a2
I emailed oxford asking for consequences if i drop chem and they said that admission tutors would prefer it if i have an A/A* in a science/math subject
Now the obvious choice would be to drop chemistry but i'm afraid i won't be able to achieve an A in math due to my silliest mistakes - also, everyone is discouraging me from doing four a2s as i am also doing an internship and eng a2 on my own (not offered at my school)
any advice? :frown:
Reply 1
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by n.safar4
So when i got my CIE AS results i achieved a's in english language and AICT (i'm the only one who got a grades in these subjects from my centre) and B's in math and chemistry
The B in math is depressing because I really love math and used to think that if there's a subject I would get an A in, it would definitely be math but i screwed up in my stats paper (i think i dropped like 15 marks). This B in math is not because i didn't work hard enough or practised enough past papers but because i tend to make lots of silly mistakes during the exam, which brings me to my next point.
I have to achieve at least A*AA in order to get into oxford , i know about TSA for psychology and all but for now i wanna know which sub to drop for a2
I emailed oxford asking for consequences if i drop chem and they said that admission tutors would prefer it if i have an A/A* in a science/math subject
Now the obvious choice would be to drop chemistry but i'm afraid i won't be able to achieve an A in math due to my silliest mistakes - also, everyone is discouraging me from doing four a2s as i am also doing an internship and eng a2 on my own (not offered at my school)
any advice? :frown:

I'm in a position that I also need to do very very well in Maths, and I know that I'm not the best mathematician.
However, I think that at the very least, maths is a subject that you can improve on a lot with a practice.
From my mock exams, I went up 3 grades with more practice and revision

I think doing 4 A2s is really tough, and unless there is a good reason, doing 3 is generally a better choice
So, why would you like to do 4?
If you're doing dentistry, English isn't a requirement is it?
Reply 4
Original post by Azarashi
I'm in a position that I also need to do very very well in Maths, and I know that I'm not the best mathematician.
However, I think that at the very least, maths is a subject that you can improve on a lot with a practice.
From my mock exams, I went up 3 grades with more practice and revision

I think doing 4 A2s is really tough, and unless there is a good reason, doing 3 is generally a better choice
So, why would you like to do 4?
If you're doing dentistry, English isn't a requirement is it?

I'm not doing dentistry, I'm aiming for Psychology and Linguistics
I missed the A grade in math by two marks and the A grade in chemistry by 4 marks
I seriously have no idea which subject to drop and I am taking m1 this year so hopefully I can earn enough marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by n.safar4
I'm not doing dentistry, I'm aiming for Psychology and Linguistics
I missed the A grade in math by two marks and the A grade in chemistry by 4 marks
I seriously have no idea which subject to drop and I am taking m1 this year so hopefully I can earn enough marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my bad. I confused another post with yours, sorry @_@
Are you considering remarks?
Reply 6
Original post by Azarashi
Oh my bad. I confused another post with yours, sorry @_@
Are you considering remarks?

I don't think remarks are worth it I mean it's so expensive just for 2 marks which I think I can make up for it in A2 ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest