I need recommendations to types of Jazz! Watch

Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm craving for more music like this, also could someone tell me subgenres to look for?

super_hannah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would try some cool jazz/ smooth jazz. Have a look at some typical swing, blues and soul stuff too as you can always find some nice repertoire. If you're looking for something a bit more experimental look at improv jazz. For more upbeat jazz have a look at bebop or jazz fusion- a combination of rhythm and blues and funk rhythms to create a kind of "rock and roll" styled jazz. Some artists that you might find helpful: Duke Ellington, Mulgrew Miller, Dizzy Gillespie, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Count Basie, Coleman Hawkins, Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Gregory Porter, Snarky Puppy, Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga, BBC Big Band, Ray Charles, Ornette Coleman, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Glenn Miller Orchestra.
Treypound
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
I'm craving for more music like this, also could someone tell me subgenres to look for?

Candle in the wind, Jazz remix-Elton John

Teeheeeehe I'm bloody hillarious!

Sorry I couldnt resist, I was going to not bother but I had to.

Anyway tbh mate try oldschool jazz like 1960s thats the real ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TurgidMeniscus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need to go classic So that's Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker etc.

Miles is my 100,000% favourite of all time, so I'd definitely listen to scores such as "My Ship" and "Autumn Leaves." He did the soundtrack to an old French movie (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud) which is killer, so that's a must for him. As for Charlie Parker, Yardbird Suite as a good one, as is Ornithology.

This is a pretty modern recommendation, so I'm not sure if you'd be interested but the sax riffs are pretty sweet during the verses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwd_0rajUwY

But yeah, if you have Spotify, that's p. good for finding related artists. Just punch in Miles Davis and let the program find similar music for you.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sounds like a waltzy soundtrack. Try Quincy Jones or Henry Mancini.

(Original post by TurgidMeniscus)
You need to go classic So that's Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker etc.

Miles is my 100,000% favourite of all time, so I'd definitely listen to scores such as "My Ship" and "Autumn Leaves." He did the soundtrack to an old French movie (Ascenseur pour l'échafaud) which is killer, so that's a must for him. As for Charlie Parker, Yardbird Suite as a good one, as is Ornithology.

This is a pretty modern recommendation, so I'm not sure if you'd be interested but the sax riffs are pretty sweet during the verses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwd_0rajUwY

But yeah, if you have Spotify, that's p. good for finding related artists. Just punch in Miles Davis and let the program find similar music for you.
Charlie Parker, and most of bebop in general may be a bit too depressing and complex for him. I say he should start off with soundtracks for now then move onto the bebop. He might like Miles though, he's pretty accessible.
I was listening to Ascenseur pour l'échafaud a couple of days ago actually, really good stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (141)
52.42%
No (128)
47.58%

Watched Threads