The Student Room Group

GCSE Gifts

Hi, I've heard my friends mentioning they are getting gifts for after GCSE's. Are any of you receiving them or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loullahbelle
Hi, I've heard my friends mentioning they are getting gifts for after GCSE's. Are any of you receiving them or not?

I went out for a celebratory meal- i didn't see the point of getting gifts, good results should be rewarding enough in their own right.
Reply 2
A* = £10
A = £5
B and below = £0

I like the fact that I get a gift of some sort. It shows that my family do actually appreciate all the hard work I put in, so they give me money. They don't do it to make me work, they do it as a kind gesture afterwards, though the higher the grade, the more money I get. :redface:
Not a gift from my parents, though if my results are good enough to get me in to sixth form I'm planning on buying myself a new keyboard. :smile:
I like the idea that it increases as you do better- I know of people that will be getting huge gifts when for most of the school life they're majorly slacked. Oh well haha
Reply 5
I wasn't meant to have a gift (just a meal out with my family) and I was perfectly happy without a gift because for me, achieving good grades would be enough of a reward. However, my sister found a Shaun the Sheep figurine in the 'Shaun in the city' shop in Cribbs that she really liked so when my parents bought it for her birthday they bought the one I really liked as a results day reward. I really wasn't expecting them to do that.:colondollar:
Most people I know are getting either a small gift or nothing but I also know quite a few people who are getting a lot of money. One person in particular was promised £50 per A*, £40 per A, £30 per B, £20 per C, £10 for a D, and £5 for anything lower than a D but higher than a U.

It's more of a 'Our baby's growing up' sort of thing. Regardless of my grades, I am getting a new laptop and I've already got my new phone which was supposed to come after results but it came earlier. But considering I had to wait until I was 16 for both...

Nope , are you ?
Original post by Kiara918
I wasn't meant to have a gift (just a meal out with my family) and I was perfectly happy without a gift because for me, achieving good grades would be enough of a reward. However, my sister found a Shaun the Sheep figurine in the 'Shaun in the city' shop in Cribbs that she really liked so when my parents bought it for her birthday they bought the one I really liked as a results day reward. I really wasn't expecting them to do that.:colondollar:
Most people I know are getting either a small gift or nothing but I also know quite a few people who are getting a lot of money. One person in particular was promised £50 per A*, £40 per A, £30 per B, £20 per C, £10 for a D, and £5 for anything lower than a D but higher than a U.

The money they say they are going to get are probably just lies :biggrin:
Original post by loullahbelle
hi, i've heard my friends mentioning they are getting gifts for after gcse's. Are any of you receiving them or not?

£35 a^
£30 a*
£25 a
£20 b
£15 c
Original post by money-for-all
Nope , are you ?

I've requested a Chinese takeaway as we never have takeouts (last time I remember having one was two years ago- family in a health kick!) and my Nanna has treated me to some new kit I need for hockey. Anything else would be a suprise
Absoloutley nothing and I didnt get anything for my AS which was BBBD lol
The gift of seeing my parent being proud of me :h: .. other than that nothing :biggrin:
Sister got 11 A*s....a smile and a pat on the back was her so called 'gift' :colondollar:
I got a sailing boat.
Reply 15
A* = £50
A = £25

and nothing for B and below. It was meant as an incentive for revision rather than a reward I think. Hopefully I did well! Good luck everyone(:
Original post by money-for-all
The money they say they are going to get are probably just lies :biggrin:

I know, there are quite a few who are probably lying ( I don't think I'm that gullible to believe them all :biggrin:) However I do know people with older siblings that did receive quite a big sum of money after their results so it makes sense if they get the same sort of amount. If the person I was talking about (the one getting £50 per A* etc) had actually told me herself then I wouldn't believe that she would seriously get that but it was actually her parents who were talking about it to some other adults.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think I'm getting anything, but I would like some money towards a moped as I'm moving to a different school and need something small to get around on (and there is no way I can afford a car/lessons/insurance with the small job I have). My mum's completely against the idea but I have my provisional and enough money for my CBT.
A continent per A*
A country per A
A state per B
A mansion per C
A house per D
10k Cash (Tax Free) per E

Joking
Original post by danielwinstanley
A continent per A*
A country per A
A state per B
A mansion per C
A house per D
10k Cash (Tax Free) per E

Joking

I will now purposely aim for straight C's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest