OrionMusicNet
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The title doesn't exactly explain everything but my question is basically 'Economics and Economic History' at LSE vs Economics at Warwick or UCL. Ideally I would rather go to LSE as it is in London and the course has lower entry requirements (AAB) or UCL as it is in London but I have heard a lot of acclaim for Warwick's Economics course so any advice from research or experience would be greatly appreciated.
letsplayray
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why would you chose to study economics and economic history at LSE and then just straight Econ at UCL and Warwick? I would recommend applying for the same course as it will be easier to tailor your PS
OrionMusicNet
Rep:
?
(Original post by letsplayray)
Why would you chose to study economics and economic history at LSE and then just straight Econ at UCL and Warwick? I would recommend applying for the same course as it will be easier to tailor your PS
It would be but other economics and economics history or courses that are similar to it are not present at UCL or Warwick, if they were I would probably have aimed for them. It's going to be quite difficult to tailor it smartly but economics history fortunately isn't going straight in the opposite direction and I have seen other people apply for straight economic history who have gotten offers for Warwick and UCL for straight econ.
Ecconomist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Warwick has one of the best economics departments in the country at the moment, however UCL still arguably has more 'prestige' and graduates have marginally better prospects. LSE Economic History is also very respected but your reasons for applying there (because it's in London and easier to get into) already make me doubtful as to whether that course is right for you (in fact it's still about 10:1).

IMO: 1st UCL Econ =2nd Warwick Econ and LSE Econ history
OrionMusicNet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ecconomist)
Warwick has one of the best economics departments in the country at the moment, however UCL still arguably has more 'prestige' and graduates have marginally better prospects. LSE Economic History is also very respected but your reasons for applying there (because it's in London and easier to get into) already make me doubtful as to whether that course is right for you (in fact it's still about 10:1).

IMO: 1st UCL Econ =2nd Warwick Econ and LSE Econ history
It's 'Economics AND Economic History'(Joint Degree) and the course seemed more interesting to me than Accounting and Finance which I was originally considering. Ideally I want to do straight economics but that option is not available at LSE for me as I did not do further maths so my application would be very weak relative to other LSE applicants. The reason that its low entry requirements are enticing is because A*AA which is needed for the other courses with an A* in maths could go wrong very easily if I don't get 90% in just one of C3 or C4 so the low entry requirements for LSE need to be taken into account as an important factor (if it was A*AA for for 'Economics and Economic History' I would not consider it worthwhile). A general plus though is that (assuming I got all my offers or at least LSE +Warwick or UCL) if I chose Warwick or UCL as my firm then LSE could be my backup which would be incredible but if not I would still be more than happy to put LSE as my first Option.

PS: I never said that LSE was "easy to get into" just that it had lower entry requirements which would give me a much better cushion come exam time, assuming I could get and offer which I am confident I can.
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All roughly the same in terms of prestige since its not straight econ for LSE, so you should base the decision on which course and university you like the most. Sounds like you want to be in London so I would go for either LSE or UCL.

UCL and Warwick have slightly different courses depending on how mathsy you want the course to be (UCL has more maths). UCL economics was also awarded 'best department for any university within the UK' for the research carried out, so the department is most likely on the rise in terms of how well known it is, and also on the quality of academics working there.
OrionMusicNet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bloxorus)
All roughly the same in terms of prestige since its not straight econ for LSE, so you should base the decision on which course and university you like the most. Sounds like you want to be in London so I would go for either LSE or UCL.

UCL and Warwick have slightly different courses depending on how mathsy you want the course to be (UCL has more maths). UCL economics was also awarded 'best department for any university within the UK' for the research carried out, so the department is most likely on the rise in terms of how well known it is, and also on the quality of academics working there.
Sounds sensible to be fair. Thanks a lot for the advice, I will look further into UCL as you are right in saying that being in London is a big bonus for me as I live there already and I would rather not have to move to another place ideally.
OrionMusicNet
Rep:
?
Bump. Just in case anyone else can offer advice
Metrododo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I'm in the same position as you - applied for Econ at UCL/Warwick and Econ & Econ History at LSE.

Personally (assuming I get offers) I would definitely go for UCL, especially if you want to be in London - I think it would be a closer call between the previous two and LSE Straight Econ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (294)
65.63%
No (154)
34.38%

Watched Threads