Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradders)
    I'm doing double award - but this applies, to an extent, to single award as well:

My teacher came back from a examiners' conference saying that the board are trying to make it more difficult this year as too many people did very well last year.

Does anyone have any clues, ideas or evidence about what tricks they might put in to try and trip us up?
    know everything about genetics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bradders)
    I'm doing double award - but this applies, to an extent, to single award as well:

My teacher came back from a examiners' conference saying that the board are trying to make it more difficult this year as too many people did very well last year.

Does anyone have any clues, ideas or evidence about what tricks they might put in to try and trip us up?
    Sounds like rubbish to me.

If people get high marks then the boundaries are also high, therefore despite slight variation in the difficulty of the papers the grades awarded are fair.

I, personally, prefer a harder paper as you are allowed to make more errors (with the boundaries being lower), and in any exam it is always easy to make an error, but if you are doing an easy paper just a few errors might stop you getting A*.

What do you do, AQA?

ReputationRep:
    The first 10 or so questions are ALWAYS easy, Most of them are very basic explanation ones and even multiple choice answers! They are aimed at D, E and F candidaties (Maybe E, F and G candidates actually) and carry 55% of the marks, so as long as you get the majority right you will have passed the paper without even having to look at the questions aimed at C, B and A candidates!

Your teacher may have been referring to the fact this year the 'previously tested modules' questions are being made more difficult, i.e. last year they were just looking at something like a graph whereas this year they may be knowledge questions. However, if you look at the 2004 specification on AQAs homepage you can see what they expect candidates to know so if you read through the 4/5/6 pages for each paper you will pass without worrying!

Especially since the modular tests and coursework carry 50% of the final mark

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if it makes you feel any better - I'm doing AQA Science Paper 1 before anybody else doing the paper (Well, me and 6 other people due to a exam clash...) so I'll let you know the answers after I've sat it - (Only joking, I've got a teacher round me all day )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt)

Especially since the modular tests and coursework carry 50% of the final mark
    Well we are damn-well sorted! With each paper being worth 25% we cannot go to wrong, I am now glad that I am doing modular science.

After looking at last years grade boundaries, I was :eek: to see that you only needed to get 60/90 on each paper to get an A*. :rolleyes: I wondered if there was a mistake. I'm not too worried, we'll all get the grades we deserve because of the fiddling around with the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the OCR one where you do an exam at the end of Year 10 which is worth 20% or something then 3 exams at the end of year 11...

Is it really 60/90 to get an A* on each paper because I got 80/90 in the Year 10 one but it was an A...

ReputationRep:
    for AQA double science its 75% for an A* and 60% for an A, approximately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soapsuds)
    I'm doing the OCR one where you do an exam at the end of Year 10 which is worth 20% or something then 3 exams at the end of year 11...

Is it really 60/90 to get an A* on each paper because I got 80/90 in the Year 10 one but it was an A...
    for aqa it was.

i got like 70/90 for my mocks. It was last years aqa paper but my teacher sed it was an A. But she probably sed that so we would work harder. It was the same for edexcel maths mock, i got like 75% and was told it was an A then looking at the reports the boundaries sed i'd of got an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_)
    for aqa it was.

i got like 70/90 for my mocks. It was last years aqa paper but my teacher sed it was an A. But she probably sed that so we would work harder. It was the same for edexcel maths mock, i got like 75% and was told it was an A then looking at the reports the boundaries sed i'd of got an A*.
    OCR don't have any examiners reports on their site...

Good luck in your exams

ReputationRep:
    Im doing AQA doubs sci tomorrow also. For revision i found the physics (radiation + nuclear fission + halflives) very very hard to be honest. The Biology was very easy and i found the chemistry medium difficulty.

Can anyone explain half-lives to me please. I need a different explaination to the revision guide...as its useless.

Does anyone else think that there is far too much material to learn for paper 1 compared to paper 2. theres 6 modules for paper 1, granted some of them are only "blue boxes" half modules but its still difficult to take in all at the same time. ive spent about 2 days at about 5 hours per day doing Science alone. ive hardy touched the geography i have tommorow at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudey)
    ive spent about 2 days at about 5 hours per day doing Science alone. ive hardy touched the geography i have tommorow at all.
    Im faced with the same dilemma. Geography first thing Monday and then Science in the afternoon. It's hard not to concentrate on one and sort of leave the other. I've sorted left Geography in the dark a bit. And the really sad thing is on thursday, Geography clashes again with one of the "Big Three" - English!

ReputationRep:
    Infact its even worse for me. at 9:00 i have 1.5hr Engineering (open text) examination (not much revision), Geography about 30 mins later (not too much revision because it is only a DME on resources) but still 1.5hrs THEN directly fillowed by 1.5hr Science (hardest paper of the lot jujing by the topics)

I am NOT looking forward to tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    i'ce got AQA science tomorow too, i think i find Meiosis the hardest, it doesn't seem clear in my book, but bitesize is quite good.

I think these exams are quite easy, at our school loads of people are predicted high grades

ReputationRep:

I amd oing this this year. last year u needed 57/90 to get A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtyboy02)
    I amd oing this this year. last year u needed 57/90 to get A*.
    :eek: Really? I can't find any grade boundaries on the ocr website

ReputationRep:

:eek: Really? I can't find any grade boundaries on the ocr website
    No neiter can i but we did it for our yr 10 exams and that was the boundary i got 61. It's usually about 72/90 for an A* and 63 for an A

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.