The Student Room Group

Joining the Navy as an Engineering Officer [merged threads]

This is what I would intend to do if yes. On the website it makes no mention of Btecs (I would do a level 3 in Engineering). As one of the only things it's recommended to do the Btec version in, I don't see why not personally and it would (supposedly) be worth 3 A levels in the field specific to what I want to do. Does anyone know?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HornDirndlFest
This is what I would intend to do if yes. On the website it makes no mention of Btecs (I would do a level 3 in Engineering). As one of the only things it's recommended to do the Btec version in, I don't see why not personally and it would (supposedly) be worth 3 A levels in the field specific to what I want to do. Does anyone know?

Most armed forces officers roles usually ask for somethin like 240 ucas points, whether they are from a levels or btec.

Just give them a call on Monday and ask.
Original post by tim_123
Most armed forces officers roles usually ask for somethin like 240 ucas points, whether they are from a levels or btec.

Just give them a call on Monday and ask.

I was going to send an email to day, would that be fine?
Reply 3
I was going to send an email to day, would that be fine?

Yeh email is fine, don't be worried about contacting them, the careers advisors job is literally to give people advice on joining, your query is also a very valid one, so yeh, good luck
Reply 4

Nope, you need:
Any degree accredited to IEng or CEng level by the Engineering Council. Alternatively an honours degree in either mathematics or physics accredited by either the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) or the Institute of Physics(IoP).
Original post by Harpoon
Nope, you need:

Really, I thought you could with A levels. Someone in our year wants to join the army engineers and he's says they require two A levels. Is it different?
Reply 6
Really, I thought you could with A levels. Someone in our year wants to join the army engineers and he's says they require two A levels. Is it different?

Not for an Engineering Officer. You need a degree. Army Engineers are completely different.
Original post by Harpoon
Not for an Engineering Officer. You need a degree. Army Engineers are completely different.

Do you know how long it would take to become an officer, joining as a rating. I read that they allow you to study A levels. Does that mean while employed by them or....?
Reply 8
Do you know how long it would take to become an officer, joining as a rating. I read that they allow you to study A levels. Does that mean while employed by them or....?

A Btec is sometimes considered as a replacement for the A level requirement, but you'd still need an engineering degree to be an engineer officer. Serving as a rating would not negate that.
What are the online tests like? Is there a personal statement type thing? And so forth...

@Harpoon
It says that they support you in studying A levels if you want to become an officer, which I would. Also, the reason I'm doing anything other than A2 next year is because I failed A levels. What effect do you think this would have?

@Harpoon
@Drewski
It says that they support you in studying A levels if you want to become an officer, which I would. Also, the reason I'm doing anything other than A2 next year is because I failed A levels. What effect do you think this would have?

@Harpoon
@Drewski

Effect on what?

And remember, even once you've done those A levels you still wouldn't be able to be an engineer officer until you have an engineering degree as well .
Original post by Drewski
Effect on what?

And remember, even once you've done those A levels you still wouldn't be able to be an engineer officer until you have an engineering degree as well .

Would they let me do them?
Could someone explain the different stages?

@Harpoon
@Drewski
Would they let me do them?

Your job comes first, but after that, if you manage your time, you will be given the opportunity to take them if you want. But you have to remember that that's not all you need if you want to be an engineer officer.
Yes. That place is called the RN Careers website.
Original post by Drewski
Your job comes first, but after that, if you manage your time, you will be given the opportunity to take them if you want. But you have to remember that that's not all you need if you want to be an engineer officer.

Yes, I understand. I would want to know that I would be able to go on to university at some point if I were to become a rating, otherwise I wouldn't really be going anywhere, £14,000 a year sounds like a lot when you nothing but it's nothing in the long run obvs. Do you know how much free time you have , how many hours a day are you working? Are you in the navy btw?
I know I definitely want to do engineering at university, so if I joined the navy I'd want to do something which enabled that. What sort of thing would I be able to do in order to go to university whilst in the navy?
Do you have to make a new thread for every little random thing?

Your question makes no sense.

Quick Reply

Latest