The Student Room Group

Assessment and Placements?!

I had a needs assessment last year and was given various gadgets/training. However when I went to placement in the middle of the year, I used none of those things mostly because I didn't want to cause trouble/inconvenience to placement (which I know is not the right way to go about things, but it's what happened) and I didn't want to put emphasis on health difficulties etc so I ended up struggling. This year I've also been diagnosed with hypermobility causing soft tissue inflammation and dislocations etc, so I've been offered a second needs assessment from SFE with regards to that. I'm hoping to have an ergonomic assessment, as one of the things currently causing difficulty is my thumb that is both hypermobile with tendonitis and arthritic so holding a computer mouse is a bit tricky for example as is writing for prolonged periods of time.

My question is how would the needs assessment translate into work placements?So for example, if I get an ergonomic mouse for home from SFE what would I do in the office at placement re a mouse? Or dragon etc?

Thanks for reading! :smile:

Ziggy
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ziggy777
I had a needs assessment last year and was given various gadgets/training. However when I went to placement in the middle of the year, I used none of those things mostly because I didn't want to cause trouble/inconvenience to placement (which I know is not the right way to go about things, but it's what happened) and I didn't want to put emphasis on health difficulties etc so I ended up struggling. This year I've also been diagnosed with hypermobility causing soft tissue inflammation and dislocations etc, so I've been offered a second needs assessment from SFE with regards to that. I'm hoping to have an ergonomic assessment, as one of the things currently causing difficulty is my thumb that is both hypermobile with tendonitis and arthritic so holding a computer mouse is a bit tricky for example as is writing for prolonged periods of time.

My question is how would the needs assessment translate into work placements?So for example, if I get an ergonomic mouse for home from SFE what would I do in the office at placement re a mouse? Or an ergonomic chair? Or dragon etc?

Thanks for reading! :smile:

Ziggy

It all depends what the placement is, but i believe anything you get for uni you can have for placement. Potentially you could maybe have a notetaker for the office if you needed to write notes a lot, i have dragon myself and am going to see how taking notes on pc works out for placement then worst case scenario i may have to get a notetaker. There's nothing to say you can't use dragon in placements if you can have your own personal laptop for it and i cant see a reason why taking your mouse to placement with you would be a problem. As for a chair, i think maybe you could have some sort of cushion to improve posture to use then as taking a chair there probably wont be practical.
I think for placement, it's access to work, rather than SFE. Check with your uni's disability department.
Reply 3
Claireestelle hi and thanks for the reply and the info! Placement is in social care and hence a lot of confidentiality issues come up, like say with use of own laptop in office etc. What you say about Dragon and chair and mouse makes perfect sense though; will ask assessor about placements too!

Hi OU student and thanks for the reply and the info! I had no idea placement equipment/adaptations went through access for work? Is that for all uni placements?!

Ziggy
Original post by ziggy777
Claireestelle hi and thanks for the reply and the info! Placement is in social care and hence a lot of confidentiality issues come up, like say with use of own laptop in office etc. What you say about Dragon and chair and mouse makes perfect sense though; will ask assessor about placements too!

Hi OU student and thanks for the reply and the info! I had no idea placement equipment/adaptations went through access for work? Is that for all uni placements?!

Ziggy

Ah i get you. Yes i completely understand that ( i d health and social care and now moving onto nursing). I d speak about having extra time to make notes and see if you can have a notetaker in placement as and when you need one, i know it takes a bit of guts to do but inform your placement mentor about your difficulties so you can work together to find adjustments in your work and hopefully you wont have nay problems:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest