The Student Room Group

Essex or Hull?

I have two offers from Hull and Essex to study computer science and I have until tomorrow to decide. Does anyone have any info/suggestions that could help me choose please?
Reply 1
I was in the exact same situation as you yestersay. With clearing offers from both Essex and Hull.
In the end I have gone with Hull, and I think I have made the right decision.
Reply 2
Keep in mind that Hull uni is actually in Cottingham, about 10-15 minutes drive from the city itself and is in a really nice area.
Yeah and it's a nice department and campus in general, much better than any stigma surrounding the area of 'Hull'.
Reply 4
Original post by HullSci
I was in the exact same situation as you yestersay. With clearing offers from both Essex and Hull.
In the end I have gone with Hull, and I think I have made the right decision.

Oh really? what made you choose Hull? I'm pretty convinced on hull too but my mum wants me to go to hull before I decide but I've heard accommodation for halls goes quickly so I want to get everything sorted out ASAP. Did you check out both unis?
Reply 5
Original post by TimeWalker
Yeah and it's a nice department and campus in general, much better than any stigma surrounding the area of 'Hull'.

Yeah that's what I've heard, when I told my friends I was going to go Hull they weren't convinced because of the reputation the place has. I'm pretty sure that's just what "southerners" think of Hull (I'm from london)
Reply 6
I researched essex, and visited Hull, i'm from York so it's like a 45 min drive. And I was impressed by it I have to say. I can tell you now that the Halls are going quickly because I had little to no choice and that was 2 days ago about which halls to go into. The halls themselves are nice buildings but a bit annoyingly I got a room without a sink which is annoying. From Essex there was a lot of international students and the campus looked very small with not a huge amount to do. Hull was more convinient for me due to its location, and I've been a few times and it's not so bad as people make out.
Reply 7
Original post by alexm710
Yeah that's what I've heard, when I told my friends I was going to go Hull they weren't convinced because of the reputation the place has. I'm pretty sure that's just what "southerners" think of Hull (I'm from london)

Well to be honest I think Hull gets a bit of a downer put on it from people all over the place, and being from York, Iknow its not as nice as some cities but at the same time, being Northern, theres certainly worse places you could come, Sunderland, Middlesborough, arguably Liverpool. It's pretty much just a standard Northern city that doesn't see a lot of money. I don't see why Sheffields outskirts would be too different from Hulls. But remember, you aren't really living in Hull, it's Cottingham, a really nice area, lots of trees and fields with local shops, more like a villagey, suburbian town. Then Hull itself is just a short bus ride away.
Reply 8
Original post by HullSci
I researched essex, and visited Hull, i'm from York so it's like a 45 min drive. And I was impressed by it I have to say. I can tell you now that the Halls are going quickly because I had little to no choice and that was 2 days ago about which halls to go into. The halls themselves are nice buildings but a bit annoyingly I got a room without a sink which is annoying. From Essex there was a lot of international students and the campus looked very small with not a huge amount to do. Hull was more convinient for me due to its location, and I've been a few times and it's not so bad as people make out.

Yeah that's a good point. I just accepted my offer from Hull last night but do I have to wait until they confirm my place (up to 5 days) before I can start applying for halls? I desperately want to be in halls for my first year
Reply 9
Well I went on the clearing day on the Saturday just gone and they were putting peoples names to rooms that hadnt yet been taken, I got one on Ferens, The Lawns. But It sounded like there wasn't many left as I barely got any choice. If I were you I'd ring them and just enquire because the last thing you want is to be allocated a semi or something off the main Halls campus
Reply 10
Original post by HullSci
Well I went on the clearing day on the Saturday just gone and they were putting peoples names to rooms that hadnt yet been taken, I got one on Ferens, The Lawns. But It sounded like there wasn't many left as I barely got any choice. If I were you I'd ring them and just enquire because the last thing you want is to be allocated a semi or something off the main Halls campus

Ah **** I was going to go on Saturday but it ended up being like £85 so I didn't go in the end. Thanks a lot for the heads up going to call them now! Are you doing a foundation year in computer science?
Reply 11
Original post by HullSci

Just found out all of halls are already gone...might just go to essex now I don't want to live in a house

Quick Reply

Latest