The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nyxie
I still won't let me :frown: ... those things hate me anyway lol. Hello to Darl and leonardo (again :p: ) ! Hope everyones exams are going well :smile:

Exams are over...I did all the hard work last year!

Which subjects are studying?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
hey! i didnt go to the open day in march, i went to the one in january instead. there were about 10 people there for the chinese talk. im studying at aquinas college, doing business studies, ict, sociology and japanese.
hmmm...how strange??!! i couldn't register onto facebook at first either but after a few tries i was able to which is weird!
Reply 22
I dont know cuz I don't think I'll start from scratch as I'm doing Chinese GCSE, I might have to take an exam so that they can see in which class I have to be putted it! :p:

but from what Nyxie (I think) told me, the third year we'll all be in the same courses! :biggrin:

do you know where you want to go for the year abroad? I'd love to go to Beijing! and for the accommodation? I like Charles Morries and Lyddon, lazy me I want to be in catered! :p:
Reply 23
Steph_L
hey! i didnt go to the open day in march, i went to the one in january instead. there were about 10 people there for the chinese talk. im studying at aquinas college, doing business studies, ict, sociology and japanese.
hmmm...how strange??!! i couldn't register onto facebook at first either but after a few tries i was able to which is weird!

is japanese hard? Ive heard it has something like 7 tones, or maybe it was cantonese! :P

btw yes the photos was taken in Tai Wu,you've been there?
Reply 24
Leonardo85
I dont know cuz I don't think I'll start from scratch as I'm doing Chinese GCSE, I might have to take an exam so that they can see in which class I have to be putted it! :p:

but from what Nyxie (I think) told me, the third year we'll all be in the same courses! :biggrin:

do you know where you want to go for the year abroad? I'd love to go to Beijing! and for the accommodation? I like Charles Morries and Lyddon, lazy me I want to be in catered! :p:

Oh, entry exam? I wonder where they'll put me...:smile:
As for the year abroad, I can't make up my mind between Beijing and Taipei. I mean, they have non-simplified characters in Taipei! I like non-simplified characters, and it's a pity i don't get to study them at university here...
Beijing, otoh, must be a wonderful place to spend a year...probably more interesting than Taiwan. See? I can't decide between the two!
Reply 25
hehe I understand, it is actually quite hard to decide, but I think Im just going to go for Beijing...

so how come you like complicated characters? my ex girlfriend is from Hong Kong and she tried many times to teach me, but they are really too complicated! plus they confused me with the simplified ones, so I stopped learning! :p:
Reply 26
<small>not really relevant, but my first choice for next year is English & Japanese at Leeds..

I've been to Japan & have been learning for quite a while and it isn't as hard as the reputation it has. There are 3 different alphabets which is the hard thing, but otherwise its just as hard as any other language i'd say
nyxie
You probably haven't heard of my hometown, Berwick Upon Tweed. Home of the wannabe scots lol. It's because we live right on the eastern Scottish border. Basically north nothumberland lol :rolleyes: What area of manchester are you from?

I've heard of it. You were at war with Russia until quite recently I believe.

Anyway, I really admire people doing a language that uses a totally different writing system. I did Japanese for a while, and it's really difficult. Good luck at Uni!
Reply 28
Ice_Queen
I've heard of it. You were at war with Russia until quite recently I believe.QUOTE]
wow impressed, even some of the locals have no idea! It's because of the whole switching of hands we were in limbo at the time between our 'owners'. Anyway away from the history of my weird town.

Everyone is saying good luck it makes me nervous, when I answer darl's question your going to think I'm even more of a freak! I do History, geography and sociology (have an AS in english lit). No language since GCSE! What am I letting my self in for :redface: ...

The whole intergrating after year abroad, is an assumption I made from other language degree students on this site. May not be true from chinese though, but if we are all getting a 1/2 or full degree in it I guess we would be at the same sort of level :confused:
Reply 29
i think the 7 tone thing might b cantonese! same as u guys...i dunno whether to choose beijing or taiwan, cos i'd much prefer learning traditional characters rather than simplified! but in 2008 (the year abroad) the olympics is gona b held in china so it would be rather exciting to b in beijing then and i guess beijing's reputation is better. Yes i have been taiwu, i go there almost every sunday! was there today!
Reply 30
darl
can't decide between the two!

I feel the same! How come no one has mentioned the other mainland uni, tianjin? I never really thought about it till now. Might look into it!
Reply 31
RubySoho
<small>not really relevant, but my first choice for next year is English & Japanese at Leeds..

I've been to Japan & have been learning for quite a while and it isn't as hard as the reputation it has. There are 3 different alphabets which is the hard thing, but otherwise its just as hard as any other language i'd say

Maybe we'll have English classes in common then?
Japanese is great. I always swear to myself that i'm going to study it properly some day...failing that, i'd like to visit Japan.
Reply 32
Leonardo85
hehe I understand, it is actually quite hard to decide, but I think Im just going to go for Beijing...

so how come you like complicated characters? my ex girlfriend is from Hong Kong and she tried many times to teach me, but they are really too complicated! plus they confused me with the simplified ones, so I stopped learning! :p:

non-simplified characters look much more complex, as if there was a story in each of them. i like to compare the simplified version to the previous one, and to see what lines have been kept the same and which have been changed. they are more difficult to write, because you have to be able to draw very precise lines...but that's part of their beauty, i think.
besides, it drives me crazy when i can't read basic words just because they are written in non-simplified characters!!
Reply 33
nyxie
I feel the same! How come no one has mentioned the other mainland uni, tianjin? I never really thought about it till now. Might look into it!

There is actually some very interesting information on the University website. Tianjin might be a good second-choice for those who want to go to Beijing...I think it's just an hour away from the capital, and it might be a quiet place to live. Probably with fewer foreigners as well. I don't really know!
Reply 34
I wasn't actually that happy about the Olympics 2008 because obviously Beijing is going to be transformed with all those who are going to follow the games or are going to take part into them...

anyways for a year abroad we should go around september I guess as a normal dates for uni, therefore we won't get anything from the Olympics as they'll start the 8 of August (the 08/08/08 at 08:08 as number 8 is associated with prosperity and confidence in Chinese culture - found it on wikipedia :p: ) and will finish the 26th.. so we won't get much from the games, maybe all the rubbish and flags around the city!

hey Steph about the Tai Wu, in which floor do you usually go? I've never been downstairs, in the normal buffet, I've always been upstairs, first time I tried to say thanks in cantonese to a woman who was serving me tea and she started taking the mick out of me! I was the only non-chinese in the whole restaurant, it felts like being in China, I loved it!
Reply 35
^^
I think i heard alot of the old buildings are being knocked down where some of the buildings are hundreds of years old. Like the old opera houses and some of the places surrounding the forbidden city. Becuase apparantly they were basically the 'slum' areas?

edit: actually just found the article, from the independent, it's actually not the olympics but aparantly their 'fascination with broadway'
Reply 36
ive never tried the buffet downstairs, i have the dim sum stuff normally every sunday with my family like every typical chinese family on sundays! im soo confused to where to choose for the year abroad, i guess beijing will be the most poular choice with it being the capital and everything so i guess thats where i'd probably end up going. i don't fancy the idea of being completely on my own in such a big city elsewhere!
Reply 37
awesome!! Id love to got every sunday with my family, unfortunately they dont even speak english and I dont understand cantonese, it'd b quite hard to manage!

I totally love the white round thing with orangish red stuff inside, sweet, know what I mean? oh and those round little things white outside and inside many stuff, I can remember corn but it had loads! :biggrin:

anyways off the food, yeah I do think the majority will go for beijing, but I bet the other cities are great as well! plus they'll b cheaper, something to think about! :wink:

Latest