The Student Room Group

Adult children divorcing narcissistic parents

I am talking here about parents who don't love their children, or anyone else for that matter except themselves.

There are is a reasonable percentage of Millennials who are the adult children of highly narcissism and ultra-materialistic baby boomers who care about money, possessions and property more than their children.

You can usually tell these situations because the child is very mild, meek and slightly socially shy due to having been dominated by a narcissistic parent or parents.

We are talking about the "I got divorced and hid my money people" who tried to even avoid contributing to their kids university education. In these situations the parent does not love the child and has only related to the child in terms of grades, jobs, especially their money that has been consumed. They will talk in business, legal terms and it terms of how it's always been, what other people did etc. they have a reason for everything and that reason is never love for their children.

They do not relate to their child as an individual person or respect them as a person. They just see them as a possessions, something in their domain to dictate to, and like to exert control.

The rise in property prices since the 1960s is unprecedented in human history. In the 1960s the price of a house was twice the annual salary of a teacher, now there are small flats which would require the Prime Minster's salary to even borrow the money to buy them. It is sensible to provide for one's children ÂŁ250,000 to ÂŁ2,000,000 each depending on what one can afford. Yes, the people laughing at this proposition are the people I'm talking about.

What is not acceptable in this climate is what a parent can afford to help their children in this way but do not do so simply for narcissistic reasons, for example wanting to show off with big properties and toys. Their slightest convenience is worth more than their child's entire life.

These people do not understand anything about sacrifice for others because they are solipsists who have a world view that the world revolves around them.

Society and history will eventually start recognising the dynamics here. These situations often end up with an adult child divorcing the parent after a tipping point has been reached.

My advise to someone in this situation is to realise that it will never be possible to explain to such people what they do wrong or the impact. Get out sooner rather than later because people who resolve the internal crisis part of this at 20 will have a much better life that people who resolve it at 40. For people in this category, if you are not strong enough to resolve it, then don't have children or you will be doomed to repeat it.
Original post by you_decide
I am talking here about parents who don't love their children, or anyone else for that matter except themselves.

There are is a reasonable percentage of Millennials who are the adult children of highly narcissism and ultra-materialistic baby boomers who care about money, possessions and property more than their children.

You can usually tell these situations because the child is very mild, meek and slightly socially shy due to having been dominated by a narcissistic parent or parents.

We are talking about the "I got divorced and hid my money people" who tried to even avoid contributing to their kids university education. In these situations the parent does not love the child and has only related to the child in terms of grades, jobs, especially their money that has been consumed. They will talk in business, legal terms and it terms of how it's always been, what other people did etc. they have a reason for everything and that reason is never love for their children.

They do not relate to their child as an individual person or respect them as a person. They just see them as a possessions, something in their domain to dictate to, and like to exert control.

The rise in property prices since the 1960s is unprecedented in human history. In the 1960s the price of a house was twice the annual salary of a teacher, now there are small flats which would require the Prime Minster's salary to even borrow the money to buy them. It is sensible to provide for one's children ÂŁ250,000 to ÂŁ2,000,000 each depending on what one can afford. Yes, the people laughing at this proposition are the people I'm talking about.

What is not acceptable in this climate is what a parent can afford to help their children in this way but do not do so simply for narcissistic reasons, for example wanting to show off with big properties and toys. Their slightest convenience is worth more than their child's entire life.

These people do not understand anything about sacrifice for others because they are solipsists who have a world view that the world revolves around them.

Society and history will eventually start recognising the dynamics here. These situations often end up with an adult child divorcing the parent after a tipping point has been reached.

My advise to someone in this situation is to realise that it will never be possible to explain to such people what they do wrong or the impact. Get out sooner rather than later because people who resolve the internal crisis part of this at 20 will have a much better life that people who resolve it at 40. For people in this category, if you are not strong enough to resolve it, then don't have children or you will be doomed to repeat it.

They say you choose your friends but don't get to choose your family, blood is thicker than water etc. but people who who are sufficiently horrible people to family members should be permanently excluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending