Mt.St Helens Eruption -> Sollutions? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Thingyguyy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I need to know about this for my exam tommorow, I know how Mt St.Helens errupted in 1980 and how it was unexpected as it had ben inactive for 120 years blah de blah...

But anyway, What I'm unsure about is the sollutions?

What did the people of USA do to prevent further destruction of this volcano for the future?

Please help me immediately as this is pretty urgent since my exam is tommorow, thankyou people!
jamal1425
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Thingyguyy)
But anyway, What I'm unsure about is the sollutions?

What did the people of USA do to prevent further destruction of this volcano for the future?

They cant really prevent a Volcanic Eruption as such but what I do know is that they've installed new high-tech equipment which they use now to monitor the volcanoes activity. I think they've also relocated people most at risk.
Thingyguyy
(Original post by jamal1425)
They cant really prevent a Volcanic Eruption as such but what I do know is that they've installed new high-tech equipment which they use now to monitor the volcanoes activity. I think they've also relocated people most at risk.
Yeah I remember doing something about there new high tech equiptment, I just can't remember the names of a few things. I remember on a video watching about some equiptment placed towards the lower section of the volcano so it detects lava flow so it can quickly warn the local towns etc, un sure of the name of the equiptment though. Thanks for the help.

If anyone else can provide good ifnormation for me then please do so!
chud
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah I remember doing something about there new high tech equiptment, I just can't remember the names of a few things. I remember on a video watching about some equiptment placed towards the lower section of the volcano so it detects lava flow so it can quickly warn the local towns etc, un sure of the name of the equiptment though. Thanks for the help.

They built "flow channels", large man-made river channels that diverts the lava away from the town/villages to areas that are less densely populated.
They also increased the "risk zone" as 90% of those who died in 1980 were OUTSIDE the main 5km exclusion zone.

hope that helps
davey_boy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Don't really know much about Mt St. Helen's in particular but I know a bit about geohazards mitigation.

What I would imagine has happened is that they will have installed a fairly dense network of monitors to measure ground tilt, microseisms and possibly gas releases. By taking the information from these its possible to track the underground movement of magma - when it gets too shallow and starts moving quickly then its time to run away.

BTW - not sure it was an entirely unexpected erruption. I was under the impression that everyone was evacuated and the only person killed was a photographer trying to record the erruption. I will accept that the size of the erruption was unexpected.

EDIT: aparently 57 people died. I was completely wrong that just 1 photographer died.
-xsarahx-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did you not do another volanic eruption as well? We do Mt Pinatubo, and i would use that more for solutions...

Anyway, Mt St Helens. Bare in mind that America is argubly the most prosperous nation in the world, therefore a lot of 'solutions' were in place before hand because the eruption was predited (e.g. emergancy servies on standby, 5 mile exclusion zone around the area, and evacuation of local people.) Also, Mt St Helens is in a very sparsly populated area of Washington, so there was some, but not many 'high tech' solutions implemented because of other seismic activity which could be seen as more threatening (e.g if other seismic activity was in a densley populated area.)

So now, just mointoring of the volcano occurs (like it did before it erupted in 1980) and i think they have made the exlcusion zone further (even though i am not entirly sure.) I think the area it erupted in was more concered about the economic costs (e.g loss of tourism for leisure and reacreation and 12% of the total crop lost) and were trying to get back on their feet after the eruption.

Hmm...i cant think of anything else really. Personally, i wouldn't use MSH, did you not do another seismic event? We did e.g Gujarat, India (earthquake in 2001) and that would be easier to talk about the solutions that were not implemented and should have been.
davey_boy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by -xsarahx-)
Did you not do another volanic eruption as well? We do Mt Pinatubo, and i would use that more for solutions...

Anyway, Mt St Helens. Bare in mind that America is argubly the most prosperous nation in the world, therefore a lot of 'solutions' were in place before hand because the eruption was predited (e.g. emergancy servies on standby, 5 mile exclusion zone around the area, and evacuation of local people.) Also, Mt St Helens is in a very sparsly populated area of Washington, so there was some, but not many 'high tech' solutions implemented because of other seismic activity which could be seen as more threatening (e.g if other seismic activity was in a densley populated area.)

So now, just mointoring of the volcano occurs (like it did before it erupted in 1980) and i think they have made the exlcusion zone further (even though i am not entirly sure.) I think the area it erupted in was more concered about the economic costs (e.g loss of tourism for leisure and reacreation and 12% of the total crop lost) and were trying to get back on their feet after the eruption.

Hmm...i cant think of anything else really. Personally, i wouldn't use MSH, did you not do another seismic event? We did e.g Gujarat, India (earthquake in 2001) and that would be easier to talk about the solutions that were not implemented and should have been.
Out of interest what were you taught about Gujarat in terms of how likely it was to have a major earthquake?
Thingyguyy
Well if I can I could always use the Earthquake in Kobe foe sollutions, such as the sesimic isolaters etc...

I was just curious to know the sollutions of MTS.
-xsarahx-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Out of interest what were you taught about Gujarat in terms of how likely it was to have a major earthquake?
Erm....that the area is prone to earthquakes. Why? Is that wrong? Lol you've got me panicking now
davey_boy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by -xsarahx-)
Erm....that the area is prone to earthquakes. Why? Is that wrong? Lol you've got me panicking now
No I'm sure that's all the examiners are interested in. If you want to know more (off the sylabus) stuff then: It occured in an area that has small earthquakes that had a very large earthquake in the middle of the 19th Century. Before the 2001 earthquake it was predicted that a very large earthquake (such as the ?1868? earthquake and the 2001 event) should occur in this region about once every 500 years i.e. not till the middle of the 24th century. This viewpoint is being re-assessed now :rolleyes:

It's on my list of earthquakes to investigate for my PhD but it's pretty low down so unless there are no big earthquakes in the next 18 months or so I don't think I'll be looking at it....
davey_boy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well if I can I could always use the Earthquake in Kobe foe sollutions, such as the sesimic isolaters etc...

I was just curious to know the sollutions of MTS.
IMHO the city of Kobe was pretty well constructed, there isn't a great deal that could have been done. With hindsight its easy to spot where earthquakes occur but the location of the Kobe earthquake was pretty unexpected (and unlikely), it's unreasonable to take all the precautions needed to prevent damage.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1017)
79.14%
Leave (268)
20.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed