The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for a Russel Group?

What's the best Uni I can get into with predicted grades of A*BB?

I'd like to study Econ.

A* in Maths, B in Physics, B in Econ

Edit: Russell**
Reply 1
Original post by dripper
What's the best Uni I can get into with predicted grades of A*BB?

I'd like to study Econ.

A* in Maths, B in Physics, B in Econ

Edit: Russell**

Those grades will get you into pretty much all of the Russell Group uni's, especially with the A* as A*BB is weighted almost the same as someone with AAA/AAB depending on the uni. I don't know an awful lot about economics requirements but you should definitely set your sights on a russell group uni :smile:
York, QM, Birmingham
Reply 3
It depends on the Russell Group you're applying to. I got CDEE for AS and was predicted ACC and i got an offer from Liverpool which required AAB. Liverpool and Queen Marys are the most lenient Russell groups imo as long as you have a very strong personal statement, you have nothing to worry about.

I can't speak for any other Russell group
Reply 4
Original post by meloj
Those grades will get you into pretty much all of the Russell Group uni's, especially with the A* as A*BB is weighted almost the same as someone with AAA/AAB depending on the uni. I don't know an awful lot about economics requirements but you should definitely set your sights on a russell group uni :smile:

All right thanks. I wasn't sure whether I had good enough predictions to look in those directions
Reply 5
Original post by kemi28
It depends on the Russell Group you're applying to. I got CDEE for AS and was predicted ACC and i got an offer from Liverpool which required AAB. Liverpool and Queen Marys are the most lenient Russell groups imo as long as you have a very strong personal statement, you have nothing to worry about.

I can't speak for any other Russell group

Okay thanks. How is the strength of the personal statement decided? Extra-curriculum books etc?
Original post by dripper
Okay thanks. How is the strength of the personal statement decided? Extra-curriculum books etc?

passion
Reply 7
Original post by SamuelSingleton
passion

I'm glad they've chosen an objective measure >_>
Reply 8
Original post by dripper

The strength of a personal statement isn't graded but what i mean by making it strong is that you need to demonstrate that you know what the degree is about and you're passionate about it.

For my statement, i read a book and gave my opinion on that and i watched a controversial lecture and said how me studying the degree will help me to carry out more research into the controversy. Talk about the subjects you're doing now and the skills you've learnt and how you can apply that to studying the degree. Read about the degree in the prospectus of the uni you're applying to and take some ideas from it and use it in your statement. Also, mention any extra-circular activities you do e.g. sport

It would be great to get someone who has gone to uni, particularly a russell group to look over your statement.

Quick Reply