The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Oxbridge?

I'm sort of confused.

At the start of my A2 year last year I dropped Computing OCR because I hated it, got an A, but I hated it, so I dropped it and was then studying Maths, Physics and Technology.

So during my UCAS applications I had only 3 subjects, I applied to Oxford and didn't even get an interview. Sad.

After that disappointment i decided to take up Further Maths to bring me back up to 4 A levels, which was tough, but it worked, and I got my 4 A*'s last week!!

My question is, should i reapply to Oxbridge now that they know im capable enough? I didn't even get a chance last time and i really think i could do it, and I'm not so sure I want to be in my current firm choice.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

With 4A*s , yeah go for it!
Original post by Dancatpro
With 4A*s , yeah go for it!

I know man, its just i'd have no idea what to do with a gap year! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CowsWhoStare
I'm sort of confused.

At the start of my A2 year last year I dropped Computing OCR because I hated it, got an A, but I hated it, so I dropped it and was then studying Maths, Physics and Technology.

So during my UCAS applications I had only 3 subjects, I applied to Oxford and didn't even get an interview. Sad.

After that disappointment i decided to take up Further Maths to bring me back up to 4 A levels, which was tough, but it worked, and I got my 4 A*'s last week!!

My question is, should i reapply to Oxbridge now that they know im capable enough? I didn't even get a chance last time and i really think i could do it, and I'm not so sure I want to be in my current firm choice.

whats your firm choice
Original post by Yousf
whats your firm choice

Queen's University Belfast for Physics, I'm from Northern Ireland lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Queen's University Belfast for Physics, I'm from Northern Ireland lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

up to you, but i think you stand a good chance for oxbridge.
Reply 6
I'm sort of confused.

quick question, how did you revise for ocr computing, do you have any good notes/books/websites that you know off. I would really appreciate it.
Original post by Yousf
quick question, how did you revise for ocr computing, do you have any good notes/books/websites that you know off. I would really appreciate it.

Sorry man, I threw all my notes out when I dropped it! I just used teacher notes, wrote out notes myself, then did all the past papers over and over again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sort of confused.

You picked up the whole of further maths in your second year?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
You picked up the whole of further maths in your second year?

Yeah i had to do the 6 FM modules an 3 normal Maths modules too in June, it was hell lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

I have a question to ask. I received my AS results on Thursday, I received ABC. Now I know that I won't even get close to getting an offer at Cambridge. But if next year I pull those grades up to say A*A*A. Even though I don;t have an offer is there anyway in which I would be able to go to the university?
Original post by GallahadBR
Hello,

I have a question to ask. I received my AS results on Thursday, I received ABC. Now I know that I won't even get close to getting an offer at Cambridge. But if next year I pull those grades up to say A*A*A. Even though I don;t have an offer is there anyway in which I would be able to go to the university?

I think you'd have to do what I'm considering, if you get you're A*A*A, you could apply for the year after you complete your A-Levels and see what happens! Otherwise there's no way to get in by adjustment or clearing or anything because Oxbridge don't do that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you'd have to do what I'm considering, if you get you're A*A*A, you could apply for the year after you complete your A-Levels and see what happens! Otherwise there's no way to get in by adjustment or clearing or anything because Oxbridge don't do that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also which exam board were you on for Mathematics and Further Mathematics, I'm on OCR MEI. Any tips on how to revise?
Also which exam board were you on for Mathematics and Further Mathematics, I'm on OCR MEI. Any tips on how to revise?

I did Edexcel so I don't know how different the boards are, my method was just lots and lots of past papers, as many as I could find!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

I was MEI and got an A in maths cause I didn't do as much as I should for the C3 C/W and the C4 18 mark paper that I don't know the name of, so make sure your C/W is as good as it can be, and then just make sure you understand it followed by doing as many papers as you can.
Yeah i had to do the 6 FM modules an 3 normal Maths modules too in June, it was hell lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have nothing to contribute to answer your question, but the fact that you did FM in a year alongside 3 A2's and got the results you did is unbelievable! If that's not Oxbridge material I don't know what is.
Original post by The Wavefunction
I have nothing to contribute to answer your question, but the fact that you did FM in a year alongside 3 A2's and got the results you did is unbelievable! If that's not Oxbridge material I don't know what is.

Thanks man! I decided in like October time i was gonna go for it and it paid off! Lots of time stuck in the library though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's good man, did you self learn it all? :tongue:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Wow that's good man, did you self learn it all? :tongue:

No I had a tutor who helped me through it, and that was hard enough as it was! lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in a similar boat. Applied to Cambridge last year for natural sciences and got an interview but no offer. I got an offer from imperial for physics and last week got 3A*s in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and an A in F.maths (5ums off an A* damn it!). I already have deferred entry from imperial and am taking a gap year. I can't decide whether to forfeit my now unconditional offer from imperial to reapply for Oxford physics - my trouble is I'm scared if I reapply I won't get into either Oxford or imperial again and then I would have lost my place at imperial! What to do..?!

Also I went to an Oxford open day and in the physics department I asked what their view is on gap years at the end of a talk and the tutor laughed and was like why would you want to take a gap year before studying physics, you'll get rusty on your maths blah blah I can't even remember what other reason he gave but he definitely was not keen on gap years. Hope that helps a bit!

Quick Reply

Latest