HollyW_541
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm moving up from GCSE this year but I don't know what to do.
I'm stuck between doing A-Levels or Health and Social Care (level 3) at a college.
They'll both get me to the same destination (which is midwifery).
The A-Levels I've selected are English Language, Psychology, Biology and Chemistry. I'm also not very strong on the maths front.
Please can you honestly say which one would benefit me more and why because I'm stuck in this inner turmoil leading up to results day as I need to decide by then!
Thank you!
spikeberry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This will sound a little silly because I've never done A-Levels but I've studied at college for 2 years now, the first year I did Art & Design and found that I learnt more in that one year than I did in two years of doing GCSE Art, right now I'm doing Level 3 Graphic Design and I'll be on my 2nd and final year in September. It's been one of the best experiences ever, I know all colleges can be different but I just feel that the tutors talk to you more like adults rather than children, and there are a few people on my course that actually previously did A-levels and dropped out because they found it to be a waste of time (I'm not saying that relates to all A-level subjects it's just what they said). From what people have told me that have done A-levels in the past they found BTEC to be far my rewarding, but it's all really down to you. From the nearly 3 years I've been at college I've learnt so much. I hope this helped!
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Health and Social care BTEC is meany to be excellent preperation for Midwigery or Nursing

Also College is a great experience, sixth form at the same secondary school you go to sounds like the dullest thing ever and the people i am at uni with are all very babied and dont know much about the real world, College really allows you to mature and grow up and is similar to university
LaughingKitsune
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The BTEC probably has the option of work experience, as well as more focused learning in your desired area. Either way, you'll get into university. If you're focusing on Midwifery, your A-Level choices may not be wholly relevant to your desired area. Even the Health and Social Care A-Level focused more on science than actual health and social care.

Good luck
InadequateJusticex
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
Health and Social care BTEC is meany to be excellent preperation for Midwigery or Nursing

Also College is a great experience, sixth form at the same secondary school you go to sounds like the dullest thing ever and the people i am at uni with are all very babied and dont know much about the real world, College really allows you to mature and grow up and is similar to university
Speak for yourself, not everyone who went to a sixth form is like that. And college isn't that much more different than sixth form, what a silly statement. College is nothing like uni.
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HollyW_541)
I'm moving up from GCSE this year but I don't know what to do.
I'm stuck between doing A-Levels or Health and Social Care (level 3) at a college.
They'll both get me to the same destination (which is midwifery).
The A-Levels I've selected are English Language, Psychology, Biology and Chemistry. I'm also not very strong on the maths front.
Please can you honestly say which one would benefit me more and why because I'm stuck in this inner turmoil leading up to results day as I need to decide by then!
Thank you!
Got slightly confused by the title because I do A-Levels AT a college...

A-Level Chem has a lot of maths in it, so if your Maths isn't strong then I wouldn't recommend doing it at all. If you definitely know what you want to do, I'd choose the BTEC, because otherwise you may be doing subjects that you don't really like but are doing them anyway to get to your end goal.

So be absolutely sure if you choose the BTEC that you definitely want to do Midwifery, because I have wanted to do Psychology at uni since year 10 but this year changed to do Politics. I'm very lucky that my subjects are suitable for both. Also if you're not strong at exams definitely don't do A-Levels.

Hope this has helped, Good Luck with your GCSE Results!
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by InadequateJusticex)
Speak for yourself, not everyone who went to a sixth form is like that. And college isn't that much more different than sixth form, what a silly statement. College is nothing like uni.
I understand that but a lot of them are, i guess it just feels weird to me when my flatmates are all so shocked at the idea of calling their lecturers by their first names or wearing informal clothing to lectures, and im just like ive been doing that for 2 years, thats sort of what i was getting at with the uni thing and also college campuses seem to be similar to university ones i.e. librarys/LRCs, social outlets(starbucks, costa, various food place etc.), high spec computer labs etc.

Also the freedom to do what you want in your free time, most school sixth forms dont let you leave the site during school hours
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (275)
65.63%
No (144)
34.37%

Watched Threads