WJEC Psychology remark..... REALLY unexpected grade!!!

Watch
Asialworgan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys. So I've always been top of my psychology class; A's in all mocks etc. WJEC psychology is also relatively easy as it's essentially a memory game, so after revising my arse off I was aiming for an A/B. After completing my 2 exams I was extremely confident, and looking at the mark scheme afterwards I was hoping for a high A, with 100 UMS in my PY1 exam.
When I received my result Thursday I was given a solid D. I believe this is really appalling and am so so upset about this, as I need AAA for my university offer for next year. I'm only AS at the moment, but I truly believe my exams have been marked incorrectly, but can the examiner really go SO wrong(2-3 grades out)? My college is funding for me and a few others to receive remarks for at least one of the two exams, but I was just wondering if anyone else has any success stories for remarks, with dramatic changes?
bobbynojeans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi- a similar thing happened o me last year. after getting pretty much straight A's last year I came out of my history AS with an E. While this did go up slightly to a D with a remark the difference wasnt too significant. While it does happen (I know 2 people who went from a C to an A) I don't think its all too common (sorry).
What I can tell you is I got my results back on thursday and got an A and am currently awaiting a remark as it was 2UMS from an A*, despite having extenuating circumstances. It can and does happen. Personally one of the most important things you can do is get your paper back. You need to know where you went wrong so it doesn't happen again. You then have to work your way back up from there. Personally I can only list off what worked for me.
>Know where you went wrong and bear it in mind the next time round!
>Know where to ask for help (This isnt always the most obvious places. Yes your teachers can help but dont underestimate the use of study skills and studying in groups. It can make a hell of a lot of difference. Personally I had to rely on my support network a lot for help with the e)
>Don't believe anyone who tells you "you can't"
>Retake the whole AS. seriously. I know some of them may be slightly better but it will help you coming to the other exams as it gives you a bit of a cushion.
>Learn how to revise. Seriously don't underestimate the use of past papers. EVER. the rest is what works best for you. What helped pull my grades up was making a HUGE mindmap covering 3 of my walls with all the course content on it, then using it to make an essay plan on the radiatior/ debate key topics with friends via skype and look at it CONSTANTLY.
>calm down. You can still get your 3As. Panicking is probably not going to get you anywhere.
Have fun at your chosen university
good luck (:
SianTee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was talking to a family friend a year ago and apparently her son (who goes to a private college and was getting A's) got a D on one exam.... He got the paper remarked and got a solid A, because apparently the exam officer 'forgot' to mark 2 pages of his exam booklet... so it bumped up his grade :')

Maybe this happened to you? Also good luck doing A2 WJEC Psych, I hated it compared to AS :lol:
Asialworgan
Rep:
?
(Original post by bobbynojeans)
Hi- a similar thing happened o me last year. after getting pretty much straight A's last year I came out of my history AS with an E. While this did go up slightly to a D with a remark the difference wasnt too significant. While it does happen (I know 2 people who went from a C to an A) I don't think its all too common (sorry).
What I can tell you is I got my results back on thursday and got an A and am currently awaiting a remark as it was 2UMS from an A*, despite having extenuating circumstances. It can and does happen. Personally one of the most important things you can do is get your paper back. You need to know where you went wrong so it doesn't happen again. You then have to work your way back up from there. Personally I can only list off what worked for me.
>Know where to ask for help (This isnt always the most obvious places. Yes your teachers can help but dont underestimate the use of study skills and studying in groups. It can make a hell of a lot of difference. Personally I had to rely on my support network a lot for help with the e)
>Retake the whole AS. seriously. I know some of them may be slightly better but it will help you coming to the other exams as it gives you a bit of a cushion.
>Learn how to revise. Seriously don't underestimate the use of past papers. EVER. the rest is what works best for you. What helped pull my grades up was making a HUGE mindmap covering 3 of my walls with all the course content on it, then using it to make an essay plan on the radiatior/ debate key topics with friends via skype and look at it CONSTANTLY.
>calm down. You can still get your 3As. Panicking is probably not going to get you anywhere.
good luck (:
Thankyou for your help!!! A lot of people are reminding me that my exam may have genuinely been of D standard, I'm just so so confident that I did really well, as I literally knew everything that came up! Thankyou for the advice, will take all of it into consideration. Good luck with your remark
Asialworgan
Rep:
?
(Original post by SianTee)
I was talking to a family friend a year ago and apparently her son (who goes to a private college and was getting A's) got a D on one exam.... He got the paper remarked and got a solid A, because apparently the exam officer 'forgot' to mark 2 pages of his exam booklet... so it bumped up his grade :'

Maybe this happened to you? Also good luck doing A2 WJEC Psych, I hated it compared to AS :lol:
Thankyou so much, that's so uplifting honestly. I genuinely think half of my exam got marked lol! Oh god really? I've heard it's pretty easy, just research methods and animals!
SianTee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Asialworgan)
Thankyou so much, that's so uplifting honestly. I genuinely think half of my exam got marked lol! Oh god really? I've heard it's pretty easy, just research methods and animals!
Definitely get it remarked, and let's hope the grade gets bumped up It's just a heck of a lot more memorising, like a lot more, it gives you a headache trying to revise it :lol:
Asialworgan
Rep:
?
Yeah the college is funding my remark! Oh right bloody brilliant lol
meganwalker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys. So I've always been top of my psychology class; A's in all mocks etc. WJEC psychology is also relatively easy as it's essentially a memory game, so after revising my arse off I was aiming for an A/B. After completing my 2 exams I was extremely confident, and looking at the mark scheme afterwards I was hoping for a high A, with 100 UMS in my PY1 exam.
When I received my result Thursday I was given a solid D. I believe this is really appalling and am so so upset about this, as I need AAA for my university offer for next year. I'm only AS at the moment, but I truly believe my exams have been marked incorrectly, but can the examiner really go SO wrong(2-3 grades out)? My college is funding for me and a few others to receive remarks for at least one of the two exams, but I was just wondering if anyone else has any success stories for remarks, with dramatic changes?
ME TOO! I am in the same situation!!! I need your help!!
For both py1 and 2 what were your ums? Mine are close to the boundaries so I don't know if it's too risky but I'm in your situation
zennizenni
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi im also in the same situation as you!
I revised so much for psy and was predicted an A
I got a C for PY1 !!!!!
and a A for PY2
so a B overall
I felt i did so well on PY1 ;/ the result was very unexpected
Audiology999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OMG same thing happened with me. I havent got my remark result back yet. Its a shame we have to send it in for a remark tbh. If only it had been marked correctly in the first place
D B B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, my friend and I are in the exact same position. We were expecting solid A's. She got a D and I got a B. Very shocked! Thought the same as you!
I have had to pay for the remark on both...!
Have you received your re-mark back yet? I am still waiting...
D B B
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone got their remark back yet or know of anyone for WJEC psychology?
MrHarry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zennizenni)
Hi im also in the same situation as you!
I revised so much for psy and was predicted an A
I got a C for PY1 !!!!!
and a A for PY2
so a B overall
I felt i did so well on PY1 ;/ the result was very unexpected
That's not the end of the world. PY1 is a relatively straight forward exam to resit. You'll be fine!
meganwalker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bobbynojeans)
good luck (:
Hi,
This is useful info, cheers!
I am due back my PY2 paper as I got a D and I revised profusely! No joke!
I'm hoping I can learn from it and then retake it next June to turn my D into an A/B/C. That's plan 1 anyway, What did you get for py2 ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise