How 'intensive' are Computer Science conversion courses?

Watch
galinterupted
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
To put things into context, I'm a former undergraduate student who wants to learn a completely new set of skills after completing a BA and receiving a first in it. I applied to computer science as I'm pretty interested in coding having gained a lot of enjoyment from coding webpages in CSS and HTML when I was younger and I'd consider myself extremely comfortable in using a computer and knowing how things work within the system.

However, terms such as 'extremely intensive' and 'challenging' keep popping up and I'd like to hear some personal experiences with such a course so I know what I'm getting myself in for.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by galinterupted)
To put things into context, I'm a former undergraduate student who wants to learn a completely new set of skills after completing a BA and receiving a first in it. I applied to computer science as I'm pretty interested in coding having gained a lot of enjoyment from 1.coding webpages in CSS and HTML 2.when I was younger and I'd consider myself extremely comfortable in using a computer and knowing how things work within the system.

3.However, terms such as 'extremely intensive' and 'challenging' keep popping up and I'd like to hear some personal experiences with such a course so I know what I'm getting myself in for.
1. People might disagree but writing HTML and CSS is not coding. Have you ever written any Javascript programs? Because HTML and CSS is more web design than programming. And computer science is more about programming than it is about web design (if at all). Have you checked out the modules? You should expect to do maths you probably have never hear/done before (propositional and predicate logic, combinatorics, set theory, graph theory - the top unis might want you to do probability theory and calculus as well). You will also learn about data structures and algorithms. And expect to learn the informational side of computer arquitecture (how is information stored and processed in a computer, how do computers do math, etc). Then you will learn either C, C++ or Java (this is at most top unis). This tends to be the core stuff and the stuff you might expect to struggle with due to the short time you have to learn it.
2. Have you done any systems programming? Any experience in UNIX environments?
3. Well, CS is a technical and academic field, you need to learn a lot (learn not memorise!) in a short period of time and a lot of CS is not as intuitive as some of the stuff you could find in Law or Psychology (popular conversion course subjects).
zoelaylee
Badges: 6
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm also coming from a BA background... I know some statistics and SPSS from previous study but would also like to learn CS and would be interested in the CS conversion courses... May I ask where you are applying too?
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zoelaylee)
Hi,

I'm also coming from a BA background... I know some statistics and SPSS from previous study but would also like to learn CS and would be interested in the CS conversion courses... May I ask where you are applying too?
As far as I am aware, SPSS and stats are not that useful for CS itself. Probability theory is a bit more useful but combinatorics and formal logic , set theory and graph theory are core CS.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

If you can afford the £££, most unis run them.
zoelaylee
Report 6 years ago
Oh ok well I have a year to decide so will see
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh ok well I have a year to decide so will see
What's your experience with computer science?

Have you read any book on computer science? Have you ever done any formal logic? You mentioned stats. Probability theory is part of stats so I am guessing you are really good at it (stuff like the Central Limit Theorem, Bayesian analysis and the like). Have you ever done any programming?
zoelaylee
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=Juichiro;58742211]What's your experience with computer science?

Have you read any book on computer science? Have you ever done any formal logic? You mentioned stats. Probability theory is part of stats so I am guessing you are really good at it (stuff like the Central Limit Theorem, Bayesian analysis and the like). Have you ever done any programming?[/QUOTE

I've been using code academy because it's the only thing I can do in my spare time! My statistics knowledge is basic from studying Psychology so I'm really a beginner at this...
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=zoelaylee;58743361]
(Original post by Juichiro)
What's your experience with computer science?

Have you read any book on computer science? Have you ever done any formal logic? You mentioned stats. Probability theory is part of stats so I am guessing you are really good at it (stuff like the Central Limit Theorem, Bayesian analysis and the like). Have you ever done any programming?[/QUOTE

I've been using code academy because it's the only thing I can do in my spare time! My statistics knowledge is basic from studying Psychology so I'm really a beginner at this...
Aww, I see.
What programming language are you learning in Codecademy?
zoelaylee
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=Juichiro;58743441]

Aww, I see.
What programming language are you learning in Codecademy?
I've tried the Java, C++ and Python ones because I heard their good ones to know.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=zoelaylee;58743613]

I've tried the Java, C++ and Python ones because I heard their good ones to know.
But Codecademy does not have Java and C++ courses. How are you learning them?
zoelaylee
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=Juichiro;58743739]

But Codecademy does not have Java and C++ courses. How are you learning them?
Whoops I meant JavaScript? Is that not the same thing lol? And I meant HTML and CSS I haven't been on in like a month...
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=zoelaylee;58744399]

Whoops I meant JavaScript? Is that not the same thing lol? And I meant HTML and CSS I haven't been on in like a month...
Nope, they are completely different languages that happen to share a string of four characters at the beginning of their names.
Depleted
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mad Vlad
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Depleted)
Mad Vlad
He is normally pretty quick to come. He must be recoverin' evidences in some crim's hard disk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (6)
10.34%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.62%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.17%
I need help with my personal statement (25)
43.1%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
24.14%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.45%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads