Literature AS level.. Amount of books

Watch
Feministfangirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
At my sixth form six books are required but I wanted to know if eider reading is necessary for As and A stars. Also how time consuming is literature AS and A2 level compared to say Economics?
oswalds
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wider reading is very necessary for English Literature, as one of the four A0s in based around wider reading and comparing them to the text you are looking at. I think I had quotes memorized from about 30 different texts, drama, prose and poetry, for AS and I'm planning on having more for A2. You don't need this much, as I know people who have done well with about 10 or less. I got an A at AS, and I'm about to start Year 13. I don't do Economics, so I wouldn't be able to compare, but for English Literature you do have a lot of essays to write, and the wider reading, but I found it easiest to do my wider reading in bed just before I went to sleep, so it didn't impact much on the rest of my A-Levels.
fs1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you might think thats a lot but it really isnt. you whiz through it all so quickly but you wont realise. you will go through it at a pace which is apporpriate, just you watch.
i did AS econ too, and the only sort of wider reading was the economist. i've got to be honest, my econ and eng lit teachers were the two teachers who set me very little regular homework over the year. but thats just my school.
Feministfangirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by oswalds)
Wider reading is very necessary for English Literature, as one of the four A0s in based around wider reading and comparing them to the text you are looking at. I think I had quotes memorized from about 30 different texts, drama, prose and poetry, for AS and I'm planning on having more for A2. You don't need this much, as I know people who have done well with about 10 or less. I got an A at AS, and I'm about to start Year 13. I don't do Economics, so I wouldn't be able to compare, but for English Literature you do have a lot of essays to write, and the wider reading, but I found it easiest to do my wider reading in bed just before I went to sleep, so it didn't impact much on the rest of my A-Levels.
Thank you, I guess I enjoy reading so it wouldn't feel like a chore, if the books are great.
Feministfangirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by fs1)
you might think thats a lot but it really isnt. you whiz through it all so quickly but you wont realise. you will go through it at a pace which is apporpriate, just you watch.
i did AS econ too, and the only sort of wider reading was the economist. i've got to be honest, my econ and eng lit teachers were the two teachers who set me very little regular homework over the year. but thats just my school.
Would you say you enjoyed literature more than economics?
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't really do wider reading, I just learnt quotes from other books and ensured I knew the context and understood the plot and themes within the text, and I got an A at AS and A2 it probably is best to actually read a full text, but it certainly isn't completely necessary. I can honestly say I didn't do that much reading for English Lit

Posted from TSR Mobile
oswalds
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Feministfangirl)
Thank you, I guess I enjoy reading so it wouldn't feel like a chore, if the books are great.
The thing about the wider reading is that you can pick whatever you want to read surrounding the theme, so you can tailor it to your tastes. The books are good as long as you like them, and it's pretty easy to get through the plays and poetry.
citydeer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i think it depends on youre exam board as i didnt have to learn any quotes for AS (i had to learn about 150 for A2 though) but also depends on your teacher, my AS teacher set us an essay every night (which only took 20/30 mins so wasnt too bad and was very helpful!) but my A2 teacher very rarely gave us homework, also with the wider reading it is neccessary however you can often use short articles or just the relevant chapters of books/study guides, if you enjoy the subject i dont think its too much extra work (i didnt do economics so i cant compare them but compared to my other subjects lit was one of the ones with the least work)
prepdream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just mainly read my main sets, which are 4 books required for the course (to be honest, I didn't even the whole books, just important parts and relied on Sparksnotes and Yorksnote, but I don't really recommend this if you want to get a really high mark for Eng Lit i.e a high A). A little wider reading when I was writing the coursework to understand more about the contexts and themes, and just skimmed through some analysis before the exam day. Compared to Economics, I would say that I did more further reading about Economics than Eng Lit, which I spent only around 3-4 hours a week to write essays for homework.
fs1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would you say you enjoyed literature more than economics?
It is difficult to say if I disregard my teachers and classmates (BC my econ class was amazing) and focus solely on the course content. Eng lit included some really rich texts which I really enjoyed at times, and econ was one of my absolute favourites, as I really felt like I could put what I learnt into context by the things I read in the papers of came across of in the news.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fs1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fs1)
It is difficult to say if I disregard my teachers and classmates (BC my econ class was amazing) and focus solely on the course content. Eng lit included some really rich texts which I really enjoyed at times, and econ was one of my absolute favourites, as I really felt like I could put what I learnt into context by the things I read in the papers of came across of in the news.

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just remember this is just all my opinion and do not use it solely to help make your decision! Both subjects can be tough at times!

Posted from TSR Mobile
kgsj20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At my sixth form six books are required but I wanted to know if eider reading is necessary for As and A stars. Also how time consuming is literature AS and A2 level compared to say Economics?
I didn't do any wider reading whatsoever and still managed to get an A at AS. Just make sure you're attentive in class and MAKE NOTES- a small comment the teacher might make could be very important. For me, literature was very hard to revise. I didn't particularly enjoy the subject either so I'm not carrying it on at A2. But if you have the passion for it, no matter how time consuming, you'll be willing to spend this time reading and learning! Hope it all works out for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.91%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.09%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.45%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.18%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.18%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed