The Student Room Group

biomedicine vs biomedical sciences

What exactly is the difference between biomedicine and biomedical sciences? Thanks.
@daviem

Moved this to the life sciences section for you:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
@daviem

Moved this to the life sciences section for you:smile:

thanks
Very similar except different unis call them different things. Have a look at course structures to look at differences.
Sometimes one is an accredited course- Lancaster has Biomedicine which isn't accredited and Biomedical sciences which is accredited, that's the only difference I've found! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's accredited by the IBMS then I'm fairly certain the course has to be called Biomedical Sciences (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). If not it may have a variance of that name such as biomedicine or medical biology.
Accredited courses of biomedical sciences are similar in course content due to them having to contain specific modules/ content in order to be accredited, those which are not accredited can vary widely. So take a look into what you're interested in, read all course break downs carefully and decide whether or not it is important to you if your course is IBMS accredited.
There is also another type of biomedical accreditation, I forget what it's called though sorry. But it's acquired through very specific modules and work hospital placements. There aren't many places for it though, you had to apply for it through the (already accredited) biomedical course at my university for double accreditation, but there were only 5 places on a course of 130 people.
You want an IBMS accredited course if you want to work in the NHS as a biomed scientist. You can then go on to join the NHS training program. The academic biomed degree can be called a load of different things based on the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending