What are the effects of repeating AS Levels?!

Watch
AYE_AYE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So, I basically under -performed and achieved bad grades in my AS levels. I achieved grades C,D,D in chemistry, maths and biology, respectively. My lecturers advise me to repeat 5 modules and progress to A2! I was ill a lot last year due to severe headaches and it ultimately resulted in me missing valuable class time, under-performing in SOME exams and it dramatically reduced my concentration in class. I also couldn't focus properly on homewoks/ revision etc. due to obvious reasons.

My ambition in life is to become a research scientist in the field of biochemistry. I wish to study a biochemistry degree at university and progress to eventually study a PhD. Bare in mind that I also have some awesome extra-curricular experiences behind me.

I want to repeat the year because i feel that i have not yet fully grasped the fundamentals of maths and certain aspects of chemistry and I know that these grades are nowhere near what I should be getting. What effects will repeating have on me when applying to universities? Also, will this effect me when I am considering my PhD? Finally, do you have any advice on what i should do about this predicament?
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AYE_AYE)
So, I basically under -performed and achieved bad grades in my AS levels. I achieved grades C,D,D in chemistry, maths and biology, respectively. My lecturers advise me to repeat 5 modules and progress to A2! I was ill a lot last year due to severe headaches and it ultimately resulted in me missing valuable class time, under-performing in SOME exams and it dramatically reduced my concentration in class. I also couldn't focus properly on homewoks/ revision etc. due to obvious reasons.

My ambition in life is to become a research scientist in the field of biochemistry. I wish to study a biochemistry degree at university and progress to eventually study a PhD. Bare in mind that I also have some awesome extra-curricular experiences behind me.

I want to repeat the year because i feel that i have not yet fully grasped the fundamentals of maths and certain aspects of chemistry and I know that these grades are nowhere near what I should be getting. What effects will repeating have on me when applying to universities? Also, will this effect me when I am considering my PhD? Finally, do you have any advice on what i should do about this predicament?
I repeated year 12 this year after getting EEUU last year I had the same worries you did and so contacted several universities including an RG one and they said this wouldn't effect my application as I had only done year 12 before and not the whole A-level. Plus you will still have completed your A-Levels within the two years

If you really feel that you didn't perform as well as you could have this year, redoing year 12 would probably be the better option because then your A2 predictions and uni applications/offers will reflect your true potential not a few messed up exams...

Either way... good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (176)
58.67%
I don't have everything I need (124)
41.33%

Watched Threads