coolgamer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hi
i want to apply for neuroscience and im writing my personal statement and im not sure how i can link maths with neuroscience
i do a level maths does anyone know what i can talk about
i have done statistics and mechanics and core maths
what mathematical skills are required for neuroscience? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee
thank you
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Please
Junaaaid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey coolgamer,
How were your a level results?
coolgamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Junaaaid)
Hey coolgamer,
abb biol chem maths
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Is it bad?
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Hey coolgamer,
Do u do neuroscience ?
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Does anyone do neuroscience?
banterboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
abb is good or bad depending on your ambitions for which university you want to attend.

Maths is necessary for all science, so by studying it you are gaining skills necessary for the subject. This whole linking your subjects together seems overrated to me though; they know how science a levels are going to help you study a science at university. Maybe if you want to be fancy you could say something like studying human reasoning in the form of mathematics made you wonder about the processes involved in thinking or something. I have no idea whether that's any good or not, not knowing anything about neuroscience myself.

I wouldn't bother though, I'd mostly talk about your independant reading and study into the subject. The thousand or so characters will be used up quicker than you imagine.
coolgamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by banterboy)
abb is good or bad depending on your ambitions for which university you want to attend.

Maths is necessary for all science, so by studying it you are gaining skills necessary for the subject. This whole linking your subjects together seems overrated to me though; they know how science a levels are going to help you study a science at university. Maybe if you want to be fancy you could say something like studying human reasoning in the form of mathematics made you wonder about the processes involved in thinking or something. I have no idea whether that's any good or not, not knowing anything about neuroscience myself.

I wouldn't bother though, I'd mostly talk about your independant reading and study into the subject. The thousand or so characters will be used up quicker than you imagine.
Ty
The unis I plan to apply for are
Leicester queen Mary Southampton which want ABB but Ima aim for AAB
So is my as results ok Ima resit some as modules
banterboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coolgamer)
Ty
The unis I plan to apply for are
Leicester queen Mary Southampton which want ABB but Ima aim for AAB
So is my as results ok Ima resit some as modules
If you're going for the abb unis, then yes abb is good, and if you can get aab, even better.
Junaaaid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your results are fine especially if you're resitting, don't worry bro
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Lol Ima girl but ty
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Since I retook year 12 will unis have higher grade requirements?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First off, please don't try and link your A level subjects with what you're wanting to study unless there's something specific you want to talk about. Your A levels will be mentioned elsewhere on your PS and they're not unique to you so talking about them wastes space. As someone has said before, use the space to talk about your interest in neuro and why you want to study it at uni.
Junaaaid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coolgamer)
Since I retook year 12 will unis have higher grade requirements?
Not the ones you've mentioned, but send them a quick email to confirm,
coolgamer
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
First off, please don't try and link your A level subjects with what you're wanting to study unless there's something specific you want to talk about. Your A levels will be mentioned elsewhere on your PS and they're not unique to you so talking about them wastes space. As someone has said before, use the space to talk about your interest in neuro and why you want to study it at uni.
So for the academic paragraph shud I talk about book and journals I read and epq and then in another paragraph talk about work experience in pharmacy and try and link it to drugs used in neuroscience and maybe add a bit about something Iearnt in chemistry about how drugs work?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most of your statement should be about your academic interest in the subject including what reading you've done around the subject and what your specific interests are. Pharmacy work experience is not really relevant unless you can talk about relevant transferable skills gained or how it relates to your academic interest in the subject.
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Most of your statement should be about your academic interest in the subject including what reading you've done around the subject and what your specific interests are. Pharmacy work experience is not really relevant unless you can talk about relevant transferable skills gained or how it relates to your academic interest in the subject.
Do u do neuroscience ?
coolgamer
Rep:
?
Well I could talk about Neuropharmacology maybe talk about some drugs I learnt about ?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I studied biochem in which neuroscience was an option. But I do have a lot of experience of reviewing PSs, I don't think neuropharamcology is an aspect of a neuroscience course. You may want to look up the courses you're interested in and check. You don't want to come across as someone who hasn't done their homework or is confused about what they're applying to study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads