The Student Room Group

No idea what to do.. Need to get my life together at 19. PLEASE HELP

Basically:

Doing Law at a University I don't mind- the location however I do. It is the most miserable place ever and I when I am studying there my depression gets extremely bad.

I reapplied to do Law at another university elsewhere. I ended up getting rejected. I already repeated my A Levels because they needed a higher grade so I can't repeat them again without doing the entire A Level and not the module.

I already signed a house with my best friends who go to uni where I reapplied. This means I would have to travel 5 hours everyday to go to the university I still do Law at.

I absolutely LOVE Law but I'm not sure if I should complete it because I love it.. I know there is no jobs what so ever so I really don't want to end up with a Law degree which is very specific to then not get a job as a solicitor. Should I just stick it out because I do love Law, just not the uni location/place/atmosphere.

The university I reapplied to has 1 course which has vacancies which is 'Sociology with Quantitative Methods'..... Has anyone ever did this course? Is it any use?? Should I apply to it in the hopes I might be accepted?

My grades are horrific and are as follows:

A Level-
History A
English Literature B
ICT C

GCSE-
English Literature A
English Language A
Lifework A
ICT A
History B
DA Science BB
R.E B
Maths C

I would love to complete physics/chemistry/biology or maths A Level (Ironically, I'm much better at maths now than I was when I was 15/16, completing GCSE)

I would love to hear from your experience, I'm trying to get my life together and I feel so much pressure at the minute and of course, disappointment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NicolaM
Basically:

Doing Law at a University I don't mind- the location however I do. It is the most miserable place ever and I when I am studying there my depression gets extremely bad.

I reapplied to do Law at another university elsewhere. I ended up getting rejected. I already repeated my A Levels because they needed a higher grade so I can't repeat them again without doing the entire A Level and not the module.

I already signed a house with my best friends who go to uni where I reapplied. This means I would have to travel 5 hours everyday to go to the university I still do Law at.

I absolutely LOVE Law but I'm not sure if I should complete it because I love it.. I know there is no jobs what so ever so I really don't want to end up with a Law degree which is very specific to then not get a job as a solicitor. Should I just stick it out because I do love Law, just not the uni location/place/atmosphere.

The university I reapplied to has 1 course which has vacancies which is 'Sociology with Quantitative Methods'..... Has anyone ever did this course? Is it any use?? Should I apply to it in the hopes I might be accepted?

A Level-
History A
English Literature B
ICT C

GCSE-
English Literature A
English Language A
Lifework A
ICT A
History B
DA Science BB
R.E B
Maths C

I would love to complete physics/chemistry/biology or maths A Level (Ironically, I'm much better at maths now than I was when I was 15/16, completing GCSE)

I would love to hear from your experience, I'm trying to get my life together and I feel so much pressure at the minute and of course, disappointment.

I have no experience to help you with, just a personal opinion from what I think lmao

Firstly, your grades are really good! Shouldn't beat yourself up about it, they're really good 😅

Trying to find another course just for the sake of having a degree shouldn't be an option. You should be doing something you're good at, enjoy doing and have a decent chance in. Not something you might not know much about (such as 'Sociology with Quantitative Methods'. Personally, I'd stick with law and get on with it. You can't be 100% sure you won't get a job until you're out there, so I wouldn't worry about that. I mean, some people have done a 'Davod Beckham' degree, so it could be worse

Whatever you do, good luck!😆
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NicolaM
Basically:

A Level-
History A
English Literature B
ICT C

GCSE-
English Literature A
English Language A
Lifework A
ICT A
History B
DA Science BB
R.E B
Maths C

I don't have any experience though my opinion would be to not take any decisions in a rush
It is ur decision at the end of the day, speak to ur parents/friends for some guidance n advice
It does sound like law is for u ur grades r also fine I think u should stay with law
if u want to change the degree research about it more ask people who r studying it or working in the field, contact uni for more information
Remember not to take any decision under pressure
All the best
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
okay.... you say the area is a catalyst for your depression leave take a year out and reapply next year at the end of the day your mental health is far more valuable than the paper the degree is written on
Reply 4
Original post by NicolaM
Basically:

If you have committed yourself to accommodation near the uni you wanted to go to rather than the one you are actually signed up for, you have a logistical problem which needs thinking about. Only you can decide whether to mange the commute as best you can, assuming you can't get out of the accommodation without losing a lot of money, or drop out. I assume the course at the second uni is a first year start - you might want to think about the funding implications as well, since you will have had your 'false start' so if you were to find that the sociology course didn't work out you would be in a very difficult funding position.

My own thoughts are that you should stick with the course you enjoy - even if you don't manage to get a training contract there will be other graduate schemes and jobs you would be eligible for - and take the financial hit of backing out of the accommodation you've signed up for. The reason I suggest this is that a five hour round trip commute several times a week, especially in the winter, is a real downer, and will give you no chance of finding things about your current uni's environment that you can enjoy. It will also cut you off socially from your fellow students, and that matters, especially if you are inclined to be depressed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending